Pope Francis attacks SSM (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:20:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Pope Francis attacks SSM (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis attacks SSM  (Read 4024 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 16, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »

I've read the transcript, and I think y'all are over-reacting, primarily because in the SSM issue, one of the arguments that is often made here in the US is that allowing it would somehow destroy the family.  Problem is, a comment that there are aspects of modern society that are antithetical to family life covers far more subjects than SSM, including subjects that I would think would be far more relevant to a Philippine audience than same-sex marriage.  We've gotten so accustomed to living in a society that treats marriage as little more than a revocable legal contract that we tend to focus on SSM as if that's the only thing a traditionalist might object to when it comes to the enervation of the family.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 08:55:30 PM »

It is a "winning issue" in many, many other parts of the world, though, particularly where the Church is seeing growth.

Sure, but the Western world is central to financing the church  + Europeans are massively overrepresented in church leadership - my impression is that while they want to expand in Africa/Asia there was a genuine attempt to tone down some of the most divisive social issues (though of course not abortion) in order to stop or delay the bleeding in Western countries.

I think this particular pope is not particularly likely to say things just to please donors, which is as it should be for a religious leader. (And for politicians too, but it's not quite as unexpected when they do so since in their line of work they need to appeal to the widest possible audience.)  Besides, I sincerely doubt Western liberals are providing much funding for the Roman church.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies