Find a quote that summarizes your philosophy. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:03:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Find a quote that summarizes your philosophy. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Find a quote that summarizes your philosophy.  (Read 3139 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« on: July 05, 2008, 03:28:28 PM »

Political or personal?

Political: "Those who are willing to comprimise security for liberty deserve neither" -Benjamin Franklin

Personal: "Sleep with one eye open, gripping your pillow tight" - James Hetfield
"Live and let die" - Sir Paul McCartney
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 03:33:22 PM »

Political or personal?

Political: "Those who are willing to comprimise security for liberty deserve neither" -Benjamin Franklin

Personal: "Sleep with one eye open, gripping your pillow tight" - James Hetfield
"Live and let die" - Sir Paul McCartney

"Those who are willing to comprimise security for liberty deserve neither"

Ladies and Gentlemen... the Republican platform summed into one sentence.
Please don't ever confuse my views with those of the leaders of the Republican party kthx Smiley
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »

It's actually, "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." I don't know if you just didn't remember it properly, but switching liberty and safety/security gives the quote an entirely new, backwards meaning.
Yea, I was just paraphrasing it, too lazy to look it up exactly Tongue
I remember it from a paper I was doing on 1984, I don't think it really changes the meaning all that much, except for the adjectives in front
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 04:12:45 PM »

It's actually, "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." I don't know if you just didn't remember it properly, but switching liberty and safety/security gives the quote an entirely new, backwards meaning.
Yea, I was just paraphrasing it, too lazy to look it up exactly Tongue
I remember it from a paper I was doing on 1984, I don't think it really changes the meaning all that much, except for the adjectives in front

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. Personally I think one sacrifices liberty for security, which is deplorable, rather than the other way around. That's why your paraphrase caught my attention and I felt the need to correct it Wink

Oh, and my own quote that summarizes my political philosophy is still “You can't be suspicious of a tree.” -Hal Borland. It is an artful quote, I think, because it can mean completely different things depending on who's interpreting it. It's also sufficiently obtuse.
Oh crap, I was confused with your point before.  I accidently changed the order of the two.  (major egg on my face there I guess) What I meant to say is what you put:

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"
Sorry bout that Tik Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies