Has pop culture reached a perpetual now? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:18:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Has pop culture reached a perpetual now? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has pop culture reached a perpetual now?  (Read 1658 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« on: October 07, 2015, 03:21:50 AM »
« edited: October 07, 2015, 03:15:52 PM by tpfkaw »

Fashion has gone through some pretty dramatic shifts over the past decade. I could go through an itemized list of changes but there's an easier approach: go to your social network of choice and compare pictures of younger friends or relatives. I cringe when I look at 2005 fashion, it's not remotely comparable to 2015 fashion.

There was a huge shift from roughly 2003-2008 and then almost no change since then.

For example, here's the 2008 cast of Saturday Night Live:

These are hip, youngish people who try to be out there with their fashion choices, but everything still pretty much works today, except for Jason Sudeikis's blazer-over-polo-shirt-over-t-shirt getup, which we'd now consider to make one look like a tool.

Edit: fixed photo
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 12:30:00 AM »

Those choices wouldn't look out of place but they'd be considered quite unfashionable in 2015, something that "basic" people in "flyover" country would wear.

I'm saying there's been slow change, not no change. You look at almost any other 7-year period and what's fashionable changes a lot more, although we should take into account Republican95's caveat that we tend to remember the most distinctive styles from each decade and ignore the stuff that stays constant.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies