Toomey enters the "Veepstakes." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:24:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Toomey enters the "Veepstakes." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Toomey enters the "Veepstakes."  (Read 4923 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: November 28, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »

Cheesy

http://www.politicspa.com/nro-toomey-enters-veep-stakes/29733/

Young-ish, very smart, from a swing state and already a leader in DC as a freshman Senator. And before anyone goes off about him being "too right wing," his conservative credentials would be a bonus if someone like Romney became the nominee and, as some of us noted a long time ago, he isn't some fire-breathing extremist flame thrower.

Unfortunately, I agree with Toomey when he says that he doesn't see it happening but he's someone to keep an eye on as a dark horse pick.

On a related note, if I had to pick someone that would be best suited to be President right now, I'd say it's Toomey so he'd definitely be able to step up if need be.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx6QWBvp_uI
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »

I know he won.

But is a 51-49 victory over a staunch liberal in a swing state in a GOP wave year really that impressive?

Yeah but I thought Toomey was an evil, Wall Street big wig, fire breathing, George W. Bush arch conservative so it evens out, right?

Sestak ran a phenomenal campaign and was able to capitalize on his military image. For all of the benefits that we had in 2010, there are plenty of hurdles for conservative Republicans to clear in order to win especially when you consider the ticket splitting. Corbett won comfortably and, as strange as this may sound, something like that helps Sestak.

Whatever the case, the "Wall Street Toomey" nonsense didn't work in Pennsylvania. If it isn't working here, it probably isn't going to resonate in many other swing areas.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »

What? "Working" would have meant a victory for Sestak. He hit Toomey on this the entire campaign. It didn't work.

If by "worked" you mean it lowered Toomey's margin of victory, that really doesn't count. He was never going to win the race by a double digit margin against Sestak.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »

1. Supports jail time for abortion providers. Small gov't GOP style.

One of my favorite disingenuous jabs from the idiots. It isn't "anti small government" to be in favor of government action when the taking of an innocent life is in question.

Of course, your argument makes as much sense as saying Toomey isn't truly a small government conservative because he favors taxpayer funded roads or a government funded military, for example.

After Palin, I'm a bit hesitant choosing those who were just elected last cycle. 2016 or 2020, Toomey would be good. 2012, methinks, is a bit too early.

Don't forget his three terms in the House though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »

Well, he was out of office for six years before that, and you receive little national attention in the House, as opposed to more spotlight as a Senator or Governor.

It doesn't matter if he received a lot of attention or a little. I mean, it certainly is a plus if you're recognized but just because he wasn't a household name from 1999-2005 doesn't mean he wasn't accomplished. Plus, he had to be noticed enough to be as successful as he was within political circles after his time in the House.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Correct
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 01:03:34 AM »

Cheesy

Young-ish, very smart, from a swing state and already a leader in DC as a freshman Senator. And before anyone goes off about him being "too right wing," his conservative credentials would be a bonus if someone like Romney became the nominee and, as some of us noted a long time ago, he isn't some fire-breathing extremist flame thrower.

Unfortunately, I agree with Toomey when he says that he doesn't see it happening but he's someone to keep an eye on as a dark horse pick.

On a related note, if I had to pick someone that would be best suited to be President right now, I'd say it's Toomey so he'd definitely be able to step up if need be.

Phil, would a Romney/Toomey ticket get your Santorum-style support?

Mitt Romney would be lucky to get my vote in any situation. He'll never get "Santorum-style support" from me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 01:14:25 AM »

Toomey's fantastic, but still a 20-monther, and I doubt any 20-monther is getting picked.

20 months + 36 months = Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »

Cheesy

Phil, would a Romney/Toomey ticket get your Santorum-style support?

Mitt Romney would be lucky to get my vote in any situation. He'll never get "Santorum-style support" from me.

So I take it you're joining the Obama bandwagon if Romney is the nominee?

No, I'm just saying Mitt would be lucky to have my support. I wasn't using "lucky" here to imply that my chances of supporting him are low. I've said this for awhile now: in a General election between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama, don't make me answer how I'd vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies