Same-Sex Marriage Bill Falls Short in Maryland (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 02:33:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Same-Sex Marriage Bill Falls Short in Maryland (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Same-Sex Marriage Bill Falls Short in Maryland  (Read 10975 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 13, 2011, 08:22:34 PM »

I hope the people of Maryland decide to say no to allowing gay marriage.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:43:32 PM »

They won't, and it will be coming to your state soon.........

Look for an amendment to ban gay marriage in Indiana by 2012. Now that the GOP has full legislative control. Also we have the governors mansion and it's likely that we'll be keeping it at least till 2016. So be ready to hear that Indiana has banned gay marriage in a landslide.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »

They won't, and it will be coming to your state soon.........

Look for an amendment to ban gay marriage in Indiana by 2012. Now that the GOP has full legislative control. Also we have the governors mansion and it's likely that we'll be keeping it at least till 2016. So be ready to hear that Indiana has banned gay marriage in a landslide.

It's coming to all 50 states......where will you move to get away from the gayz couplez then?

Are you aware that EVERY TIME the issue of marriage has been on the ballot, GAY MARRIAGE GETS DEFEATED. Even in California. The Federal judge that got Prop 8 overturned is an outspoken gay. The people Of California chose to protect traditional marriage and the judge has NO JURISDICTION regarding the issue. We have this thing called Article 1 Section 8 and the 10th Amendment and marriage is a state issue not a federal one. Though personally I think government should leave marriage to the faith communities.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »

We have this thing called Article 1 Section 8 and the 10th Amendment and marriage is a state issue not a federal one.

Really? The consequence of that is that DOMA is unconstitutional when the federal government declines to recognize same-sex marriages conducted in states where they are legal. I have been paying $1,000+ a year in extra income tax to the federal government because my partner's health care is considered taxable income and the federal government doesn't recognize our marriage. If it did, it would be tax free. How does it advance your morality for me to pay out of pocket like that? Do you consider the financial cost your attitude has on people like me, without dissuading me in any way from being gay?

Ultimately I want government out of deciding who gets married. It belongs to religious instuitions.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:42:45 PM »

You should go check out the results of prop 22 in 2000 and compare it with prop 8. You think prop 8 would pass in 2012? Gay Marriage is coming, Calvinist Libertas, and sooner than you think.
[/quote]

I am not a Calvinist. I was born into a Wesleyan/Holiness/Methodist church  and as a pre-teen converted to the Assemblies of God. My screen name is in honor of John Calvin Coolidge who was the 30th President of the United States.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »

So you favor tax increases for married couples then??
[/quote]

Absolutely not. Until we can drastically reform our tax policy, I favor eliminating the marriage penalty.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »

Absolutely not. Until we can drastically reform our tax policy, I favor eliminating the marriage penalty.

Doesn't that conflict with your churches should be able to decide who can marry and not the government idea??  
[/quote]

I'm looking at the long term picture here.

First we reform tax policy, by that i mean we get back to a hard commidity based standard, then eliminate the Fed and the IRS, then we get government out of the marriage issue.

As for civil unions, Those would be for those who don't desire a religious based marriage except gays who would still be forbidden even on civil unions.

As I have stated here before I'm for nondiscrimination regarding gays up to but not including military service, civil unions or marriage. It is not a God given or an intrisnic difference such as Race, Gender Creed, Religion, Political idealology, or Color.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:32:56 PM »

Doesn't that conflict with your churches should be able to decide who can marry and not the government idea??  

I'm looking at the long term picture here.

First we reform tax policy, by that i mean we get back to a hard commidity based standard, then eliminate the Fed and the IRS, then we get government out of the marriage issue.

As for civil unions, Those would be for those who don't desire a religious based marriage except gays who would still be forbidden even on civil unions.

As I have stated here before I'm for nondiscrimination regarding gays up to but not including military service, civil unions or marriage. It is not a God given or an intrisnic difference such as Race, Gender Creed, Religion, Political idealology, or Color.

Based off that comment you strongly favor of discrimination......
[/quote]

And I have the whole of human history on my side on this one.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »

The bill was sent back to committee as there were apparently not enough votes. Hopefully throughout the year some of these delegates will stop being bullied around by the churches and do the right thing.

Disgusting

Not disgusting. The right thing to do is keep it banned until we can remove government from marriage.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies