Predict when Trump's legal proceedings will conclude if he loses the 2024 Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:47:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Predict when Trump's legal proceedings will conclude if he loses the 2024 Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: When do you think Trump's legal proceedings will conclude if he loses the 2024 election?

2027 or beyond

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Predict when Trump's legal proceedings will conclude if he loses the 2024 Election  (Read 578 times)
TML
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2024, 02:44:34 PM »
« edited: April 30, 2024, 03:26:17 PM by TML »

For the purposes of this thread, let's assume that Trump loses the general election in November 2024, and that his current legal proceedings have not yet reached their respective verdicts by that point. In that scenario, when do you guys think his legal proceedings will reach their ultimate conclusion?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 05:56:29 PM »

Probably until the day he dies, given that he will endlessly appeal any outcome other than a not guilty verdict.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 07:38:42 AM »

Even if he loses the election, he's not going to prison.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 01:18:37 PM »

The other day my boss gave me a research assignment for an appeal on a case where the client was convicted 12 years ago. These things never die, if Trump loses and isn't acquitted then his legal problems probably won't stop until his heart does
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 01:37:08 PM »

When he's dead.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 11:41:57 AM »

This.

Nobody really wants these trials because of the implications of a conviction of Trump.  What's done to Trump can be done to any future President.

What, really, is to stop a future President from charging Joe Biden or Mike Pence with document offenses?  In Joe Biden's case, all the elements of the crime are listed; he possessed documents he had no right to possess for decades, and that's not even taking into account how they were stored or his sharing of them with his autobiographer.  All of the elements of a crime are present.  The only reason Hur is not charging him is because he is the sitting President, and Hur has added statements to the effect of Biden's cognitive abilities that suggest that, at least in the present, he may be considered unable to stand trial if the issue were tested by the Court. 

I do not wish to see Joe Biden on trial any more than I want to see Donald Trump on trial.  The remedy for these issues is impeachment.  I would support a Constitutional Amendment reducing to 60 the number of Senators needed to remove a President, but with a proviso that the Supreme Court rule, prior to any trial, that the allegations for impeachment meet the Constitutional Standard of "High Crimes and Misdemeanors".  (A decision in that area would have precedential value for future impeachment.)  Indeed, I would include appointed Cabinet Officials in this amendment.  I would also include in this Amendment that the Senate must go forth with a trial if the SCOTUS impeaches, but that the rulings of the Chief Justice that presides over the trial not be able to be overridden by a vote of the Senate. 

But if it's OK to put Donald Trump on trial (particularly for the Documents case), then it's necessary (in the interest of simple justice) to put Joe Biden on trial once he's out of office.  The elements of the crime are set forth in Hur's report; they constitute probable cause.  I would not welcome such an event, but if former Presidents can be tried for crimes after their term, how can one say of Biden that he's not fit for trial if he was fit for office?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies