Office of Former President and Gov. DemPGH (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:52:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Former President and Gov. DemPGH (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Office of Former President and Gov. DemPGH  (Read 23545 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 12:06:02 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ideally, then, I would like Devin to ultimately take my seat, and we just might have some signs of life so long as we still have Flo. Yes, barely filling a three-seat council is a chore! Hopefully reasonable people can continue meaningful dialogue concerning a Pacific / Midwest merger.

Also, the 4th Pacific Constitution is close and debate has been opened on the new tax structure for the Pacific. As soon as the Constitution is approved we'll move it to referendum.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2014, 07:04:38 PM by Acting Pac. Gov. DemPGH »

The voting booth for the plebiscite removal amendment is now open! You have seven days to vote.

Also, the 4th Pacific Constitution has been approved by 2/3 of the Council. It is technically an amendment to the current constitution, so I would like to announce that within 24-48 hours I will be opening a voting booth for its ratification. Ratification lasts 72 hours and must garner 2/3 approval from Pacificans, so I want to give notice that that is coming, and we need people to help us ratify it.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »

Voting booth is up and running on the 4th Constitution!

72 hours + 2/3 public approval needed. A lot of people put in a lot of work, so let's get going on it!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »

We're "Team Pacific"! Would make a nice corporate logo anyway.

After the tax deal, then, hopefully we'll be off and running. If I'm Gov. till April and Devin's on the council, there is some reason to be optimistic.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »

A brief update:

Plebiscite Removal Clause is passing currently 5-2.

The 4th Pacific Const. is currently passing 8-0. Excellent!

I will not run for the council as I want to focus on finishing PJ's term. As I have it, Council candidates include:

1) Siren
2) Devin
3) Flo

Am I missing anyone?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 06:54:42 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2014, 07:02:32 PM by Pacific Gov. DemPGH »

Yeah, I PMed Xahar - I don't think he wants on the ballot. He indicated that he would run for re-election a while back and then formally resigned from the Council a few days ago, clearly indicating that he would not have the time in the 8th Pac. Council thread.

In any event, the first glitch in the new Constitution is now apparent. Smiley Ah, there's an old saying about too many cooks in the kitchen. Tongue But it's okay, it's one that we can be quite lenient about.

II.1:

Later in II.1:

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »

Dear People:

I've decided this past week to cast aside my mostly non-interventionist stance and state that we need someone in Government, be it the Senate or the Presidency, who prioritizes the interests of the middle and lower classes. We need to ensure that there is at least one voice which does this. That's why I've decided to support TNF and Labor in this election, and if you are on the fence, I urge you to do likewise. I don't think there is anyone in the game who has been more active and more prolific than TNF, and so I've simply arrived at the position that that is what we need most of all.

I've more or less had my fill of the game this past year - I'm due for a vacation sooner rather than later Tongue, so that I can sit back and contentedly support someone like I described gives me comfort at this point.

Personally, I came from a union household, and that fact enabled me to get an education and become the person I am - which is probably what I am most thankful for.

Finally, Atlasia has a history of smart Progressivism. I would like to continue that tradition. I really believe that if we become too bland and too moderate we'll lose something of our identity.

So these are some reasons I have decided to rejoin and support Labor! I hope you will too.

X Pac. Gov. DemPGH
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 12:31:57 PM »

Windjammer and I are finishing the basic blueprint for a merger. Because the MW is not paralyzed nearly as badly as the Pacific (we don't really even debate anything when we have a full council - we're thinking of ways to spend government dough right now), it involves a 3+3+1 composition. That is, three Pacific, three MW, and an at large Speaker. We'll determine if we can physically support that in the Pacific, and of course it will depend upon the council.

It's only gotten worse. If it becomes too difficult to fill three seats, I would consider a temporary - stress temporary so as to keep it constitutional - shutdown of the Pacific legislature.   

I'm also very sorry to report this:

I'm sorry for the inactivity everyone.  I officially resign my seat so someone that actually wants it can pitch in.  This game just isn't fun for me anymore, tbh, and I've been obnoxiously busy.  Love y'all.  Smiley

So in Siren's place I nominate TheCranberry, who has already contacted me about the opening and who I have every reason to believe will be a great new addition to the council!

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »

There's no way seven is possible. Do you want actual elections or to give a seat to every Tom, Dick and Harry who walks in?

As I said, we might not be able to physically support it. We have a three-seat council now and can't really fill it. A 1+1+3 or a 2+2+1 composition would probably be better for us, but we'll see what we can pass.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »

As probably Governor elected from the Midwest, I will NEVER support 1+1+3. The speaker must be elected at large, I can compromise for the number of seats, but never for that.

How's 2+2+1? If you think that would work I'll get back to you with a tweak of the proposal. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2014, 04:39:02 PM by Comrade Governor DemPGH »

I support five members for this joint legislature - how it is configured won't be a deal-breaker for me. The more at large seats there are the greater the flexibility; the fewer at large seats the more equilibrium. I think flexibility is the best for the long-term (like what Oakvale suggested).

There will have to be one functioning governor; it really couldn't work with two governors unless one of the governors became something else, like a Lt. Gov. who might operate the voting booths.

What's the simplest workable solution with regard to the constitutions and the magistrates?  
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 12:55:57 PM »

Dear People:

Only wanted to make the announcement that I will not run for a full term as Pac. Gov. in April. I've mentioned it to a few people privately, but I just want to go ahead and get it out there.

I would ideally like to take a break from legislating and politics, and if we had more of a legal eagle community here, I would definitely do something along those lines, like open a law review or even a law journal, but I don't see that that would serve any real purpose. We'll see, though. Or, once I'm no longer governor I could help with the Wiki if it's needed.

If I do stay involved in Pacific politics - if - it will be for the purpose of keeping the region moving and little more. Which has kind of been my approach anyway!

X PGH
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2014, 05:52:55 PM by Comrade Governor DemPGH »

Hey, thanks, guys! I appreciate it. Smiley

I do give myself some credit here - we got the 4th Const. through, amended it to clarify a quirk, and we secured the stimulus. I think we've got a new crop of folks who can push the region forward, although I do think we need to have a serious conversation about the tenability of the five region format.

And I do endorse Flo.

I'm "hooked," so I don't plan on leaving unless the RL load just gets too heavy. I'll be around, just less and more. Tongue And if I ever get too ambitious, someone hit me on the head.

I can think of at least one job that you were very good at that may be open soon...

We'll see. But ahh, my friend, we have heard the chimes at midnight! (Means, "We've seen our share of the action!")
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »

Dear People:

I hereby declare a state of emergency in the Pacific due to worsening drought conditions.

I have been advised that the Drought Mitigation Act of 2011 may now kick in to provide relief to our distressed farmers.

And for the love of everything that it is good, let's make sure that our vineyards and our winemakers are taken care of!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »

As crisis manager I'm earmarking all funds necessary from the stimulus package for drought relief.
Oakvale, if one day, I declare a state of emergency in the Pacific. Will you be the crisis manager too? This position exists?

No. It's specific to the Pacific's activity problems. It's otherwise very, very unconstitutional, as we've all discussed. But things have proceeded very well and all has been great!
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2014, 08:14:39 PM by DemPGH »

Dear People:

A brief if belated statement to say that I'm encouraged by the recent report showing an improvement in the Pacific economy!

I've been able to act on several core goals. My first was securing the 4th Constitution, and we did that. After that followed the stimulus, and I regret that we got off on the wrong foot with the federal government in reference to that. The President's office and the crisis manager have been wonderful to work with, and I only wish that things had started a little better. Going forward in the time I have left, I will prioritize business investment and spending that invites return - because that's the answer for the pacific long-term. We can talk about the taxes and so forth, but we need people to generate revenue. And as long as I am here, I will be a ferocious defender of civil liberties. Ferocious.

Finally, with just a little interest I always knew that this region could be strong! Our current council of Flo, who is also the Speaker, and TheCranberry and Devin have been great. I have to say that when Siren left due to RL obligations, I thought, "Whaaaaaaaat now?!" But both Devin and TheCranberry, though, wrote me in detail about their interest in joining the council, and certainly they have been valuable members thus far. Even though PJ, Siren, and others have left us, I am hopeful that our best days lie ahead. Smiley

DemPGH, Pac. Gov.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 06:11:03 PM »

Dear People:

I want it flatly understood that as an ardent social and economic progressive, I will not support polygamy, which is defined as the institution of keeping more than one wife or husband.

Students of history, sociology, literature, or any number of subjects will note polygamy's relationship to backward and oppressive social systems, most notably with regard to the collection of women as brides. I will not stand for it, and I will not accept as policy the degenerate quasi-libertarian argument for it. It is not practiced in the developed, secular world for the reason that it is incompatible with equality. That's a matter of fact.

X DemPGH, Pac. Gov.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 07:22:15 PM »

Then let them be partners, Alfred!

You're talking about the collection of spouses, and I will not go along with that. You guys really don't understand the economic advantages / aspects of marriage.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 07:38:29 PM »

So are you endorsing separate but equal? Or are you endorsing polyamorous civil unions (though I'm sure you're up on the status of marriage at the federal level)?

No. I'm saying, polygamy is the conjugal version of "right to work."
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »

So are you endorsing separate but equal? Or are you endorsing polyamorous civil unions (though I'm sure you're up on the status of marriage at the federal level)?

No. I'm saying, polygamy is the conjugal version of "right to work."

As in?

It gives advantage to the person who can collect spouses! Marriage is economic. It always has been.

I don't care who has a threesome, foursome, or fivesome, though. Whatever. Have fun, if that's your thing. Although I disagree with you on CHIMPS since they are a DIFFERENT SPECIES. Emphasis on SPECIES. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »

Pacificans,

The voting booth is now open on the amendment to V.2.6 of the Constitution, which says that you can only change states once every 180 days. Prior, you could move state to state within your region as often as you wanted, but that changes with this. Whatever state you pick is the state in which you remain for the duration of your stay in your region (minimum 180 days).

I'll have to read through the entirety of the discussion on it; I'm not sure why changing states needs to be restricted unless it's for the convenience of the registrar.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »

The Pacific Northwest is unfortunately known for Bigfoot sighting. Fortunately, A Bigfoot expedition has recently returned, undertaken by the University of the Pacific's Biology and Archaeology departments. The Governor's office kept a very close eye on these proceedings.

The context is that I would caution against interpreting UFOs as "aliens." Tongue More likely, they are meteors, ball lightning, secret aircraft, or misidentifications of other prosaic objects.

The Bigfoot Research Project undertaken by the University of the Pacific concluded that 100% of Bigfoot sightings are:

63% = Misidentifications
35% = Hoaxes / Man in suit
  2% = Camera flaws or misreadings of what was actually photographed (blob of darkness)

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2014, 09:37:05 AM »

I'm declaring a state of emergency in Washington with regard to the tragic mudslide. We'll assist in damage assessment, clean-up, recovery, and I am reviewing avenues for federal assistance.

I am encouraged by the fact that many who were missing / feared dead are, in fact, turning up safe.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 05:21:47 PM »

Dear People,

Time is drawing near, and I admit that I am strongly considering a run for Governor in the upcoming April elections. I did not intend ever to do this, but I am convinced that, with the assistance of individuals like Cinci and Oakvale, we have established a stable community of leadership that will move the Pacific forward. Additionally, the situation with the Council appears to have stabilized, and we need an active council above all. I consider Flo a friend, so if I run, it will not be an adversarial election. Just a competitive one, and the Pacific needs an actual election! Our Senator ran unopposed and we routinely struggle to fill council seats.

In the event that I run, you can count on me to protect civil liberties at all costs, but to steer a pro business course in reviving the economy of the Pacific. Currently, we are working on an omnibus bill that will allocate federal spending to revive the economy. As I see it, we must invest in business and education, but not spend wastefully. I favor books over additional technology, for instance. We must protect the environment, but not to detrimental lengths.

I would support a further reduction in 1) sales, 2) gasoline, and 3) alcohol taxes as well. We're a wine-rich region, and I'd like to see our winemakers supported.

I'd support exempting new and start-up business from acknowledging union organization for one year. Only one year. Under our current crisis, I believe this would be justifiable.

I would support reasonable investment credits.

You can also count on me to be realistic; our economy surely trumps contact with E.T.!

Feel free to ask any questions as this is a short-lived "exploratory committee." 

X DemPGH, Pac. Gov.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »

Thank you for the kind words Governor. Also I have a couple questions. Do you support hate crime laws, if so should they be applied to whites to? What do you feel should be the maximum sentence for sexual assault, or false accusations? Do you support restitution for slavery? What do you feel was/is your greatest achievement?

Time is limited at the moment, but. . .

1. Sure, I support hate crimes so long as hate can actually be established as a motive. I don't suppose that that should be too difficult, but in principe, yes. But I would require some motive of hate, though. Applied to whites? Of course.

2. sexual assault: I think a maximum of seven to eight years is reasonable, but I'm skeptical of minimum penalties. I'm not comfortable with that concept.

3. Restitution For Slavery: No. I feel that enough time has elapsed that we can find more effective remedies to aid the disadvantaged descendants of slaves. Education equality is a good example.  

4. My greatest achievement has been the passage of the 4th Constitution, which effectively ended the "Wolfenstitution," as well as the passage of the recent stimulus, which we're attempting to finalize.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies