Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 05:20:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17
Poll
Question: Which is the most absurd objective proposed by Newt Gingrich?
Putting mirrors in outerspace to light highways

Colonizing the moon for resources such as moon rocks

Repealing child labor laws so children can spend time in school being janitors rather than learning

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular  (Read 40411 times)
Stardust
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2011, 06:32:27 PM »

In 2005, Gingrich appeared with then-Senator Hillary Clinton at an event called “Cease-fire on Health Care” at American University in Washington, where he called for “100 percent coverage,” and a system that involves a “transfer of finances” to help low-income people afford medical insurance.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-02/gingrich-accepting-gore-invite-lands-on-love-seat-with-pelosi.html

Sounds a lot like ObamaCare to me. Mitt Romney recognizes that healthcare is a state issue, not a federal issue. Does Newt Gingrich? Mitt Romney recognizes that there is no one-size-fits-all healthcare policy for every state. Does Newt Gingrich?

yawn...just wake me up when you come to the story detailing Newt sleeping with my wife.

So the jmfcsts really support ObamaCare?

Quite a few of them do; not our resident jmfcst, as he has more money than the usual member of his clan, but many of his brethren love the idea, although they will never admit it.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »

In 2005, Gingrich appeared with then-Senator Hillary Clinton at an event called “Cease-fire on Health Care” at American University in Washington, where he called for “100 percent coverage,” and a system that involves a “transfer of finances” to help low-income people afford medical insurance.

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-02/gingrich-accepting-gore-invite-lands-on-love-seat-with-pelosi.html

Sounds a lot like ObamaCare to me. Mitt Romney recognizes that healthcare is a state issue, not a federal issue. Does Newt Gingrich? Mitt Romney recognizes that there is no one-size-fits-all healthcare policy for every state. Does Newt Gingrich?

yawn...just wake me up when you come to the story detailing Newt sleeping with my wife.

So the jmfcsts really support ObamaCare? And teaming up with Nancy Pelosi and Al Gore on global warming? Methinks the jmfcsts might want to rethink their support (once again). Maybe Huntsman or Perry again? Or, god forbid, Romney?

Newt is simply an attention whore.  All these photo ops mean nothing.  When the time comes, Newt will be the jmfcsts' bitch in White House just like he was in the House during the 90's.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2011, 06:36:28 PM »

I'm just going to say this: Gingrich needs to stop giving Romney a hard time over signing a bill his state wanted. Gingrich lobbied for much more than that, and he did so with Hillary Clinton.

And Gingrich also needs to stop accusing Romney of opportunism. Romney has never looked for photo opportunities with the likes of Hillary Clinton, Al Gore and Nancy Pelosi, or even remotely considered stooping to that level like Gingrich has in the past.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »

I still don't see the point of these Newt threads.

Newt essentially coming out in favor of ObamaCare-style federal policy in 2005 is not worthy of discussion now that Gingrich is seemingly relevant?

It is a stupid thread.

Everyone knows about Newt's baggage, you keep starting this Newt thread it just makes you Romney supporters look desperate.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »

Newt essentially coming out in favor of ObamaCare-style federal policy in 2005 is not worthy of discussion now that Gingrich is seemingly relevant?

It is a stupid thread.

Everyone knows about Newt's baggage, you keep starting this Newt thread it just makes you Romney supporters look desperate.

I was not aware of this particular baggage until a few minutes ago. Were you really aware of this 2005 event with Hillary Clinton, and what he was calling for?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »

So we've found the one issue Gingrich is was sorta moderate on.

corrected
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »

Politico,

Please put all of your Gingrich rage into one thread. The numerous different threads are annoying.

Sincerely,
Everyone Else
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2011, 06:42:54 PM »

It is a stupid thread.

I was not aware of this particular baggage until a few minutes ago. Were you really aware of this 2005 event with Hillary Clinton, and what he was calling for?

I didn't know about his event with Hillary. But it is irrelevant since he has a history of doing this sort of thing(ex. traveling with Sharpton, photo op with Pelosi.)
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »

Are the Romney fanboys really that sacred of Newt Gingrich?

Politico's threads just reek of desperation IMO.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »

Was this before or after he became enemies with Paul Ryan?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »

George W. Bush and Ted Kennedy would have called each other friend. This is no biggie.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »

Politico,

Please put all of your Gingrich rage into one thread. The numerous different threads are annoying.

Sincerely,
Everyone Else
yes, please
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2011, 06:57:26 PM by jmfcst »

Politico, you're a good man -- and I like you.  And you have been loyal to the jmfcsts for years.  I know you have doubts about Newt -- but you need to trust the jmfcsts on this one and show your loyalty by not stepping on the Newt.  Instead, I want you to be fair with Newt and end your relationship with Romney.  I have business that's important with POTUS-Elect Newt -- I don't want it disturbed.

...Look at it this way, Newt simply wants to be a "great man", not a newt...so we're going to give him a chance to be a man, by being, once again, our bitch.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »

Politico,

Sincerely,
Everyone Else
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »

I don't see Gingrich winning the key states. He'll get absolutely destroyed in suburban Philly, DC and South Florida..maybe even worse than McCain in 2008

Yes we know that no Republican could possibly win the election and yet lose the District of Columbia. Roll Eyes

More seriously, I presume you meant NoVA rather than DC itself.  Yes, Virginia and Pennsylvania look to be swing states, but Florida shouldn't be.  If Florida is seriously in play, it looks to be an excellent night for Obama unless Florida swings considerably less Republican than the country as whole.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2011, 12:04:55 PM »

I wonder if the average Tea Partier will recognize that Newt Gingrich is no different than Mitt Romney in that he is just as craven and ambitious, with no core ideology except of gaining power.

I can easily see Newt falling back to earth within the next couple of weeks -perhaps Michelle Bachmann, Rick Santorum, or Ron Paul will offer Tea Partiers a more meaningful alternative?  
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2011, 12:13:26 PM »

I wonder if the average Tea Partier will recognize that Newt Gingrich is no different than Mitt Romney in that he is just as craven and ambitious, with no core ideology except of gaining power.

I can easily see Newt falling back to earth within the next couple of weeks -perhaps Michelle Bachmann, Rick Santorum, or Ron Paul will offer Tea Partiers a more meaningful alternative?  

Newt has a proven track record of carrying water for the jmfcsts, Mitt doesn't.  We don't mind nominating a suck-up, we've done it before, but we have to trust that a candidate will carry our water, and we don't trust Mitt.  Period.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2011, 12:16:35 PM »

Newt has a proven track record of carrying water for the jmfcsts, Mitt doesn't.  We don't mind nominating a suck-up, we've done it before, but we have to trust that a candidate will carry our water, and we don't trust Mitt.  Period.

Roll Eyes

Why don't you run for President?  Or maybe some lower office in your area?  You certainly have the ego for it. 
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2011, 12:19:58 PM »

Newt was all talk in the 90s. He screwed us over then. What are you talking about?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »

Does jmfcst's quasi-endorsement of Newt make anyone else more skeptical of the former Speaker's chances?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »

Newt was all talk in the 90s. He screwed us over then. What are you talking about?

Whom is this directed to, if I may ask?  Jmfcst?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »

Whom is this directed to, if I may ask?  Jmfcst?

Jmfcst.

Apologies to you.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »

Aiming for 100% coverage is not what most people have against Obamacare.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2011, 01:34:06 PM »

If the Republican party opposes everyone in the United States being covered by some sort of health insurance, then they are even crazier than I thought.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2011, 02:18:11 PM »

Wait, you are off by nearly a decade. In the days of Hilliary Care, Newt was applying the example of the formation of AT&T to the health care system. One of principles articulated by the founder of the national phone network Newt mentioned was that it had to be universal.

Of course, universal care is only one part of the analogy. AT&T was a quasi-public regulated monopoly. Apparently, that, too, is Gingrich's vision for health care in America.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies