Afghan faces death penalty for converting to Christianity (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:00:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Afghan faces death penalty for converting to Christianity (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Afghan faces death penalty for converting to Christianity  (Read 7353 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 22, 2006, 07:54:52 AM »

This will be a test to see if they update their laws.  I wonder how many old Taliban laws are still laying on the books which have yet to be overturned.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »

This will be a test to see if they update their laws.  I wonder how many old Taliban laws are still laying on the books which have yet to be overturned.

Um, that's not the issue at all. They got a whole new Constitution. The Taliban wasn't even considered the legitimate government by the US or the people now running the Afghan government, so there was never any Taliban laws to repeal, officially.

Though the country has a new Constitution doesn't mean all the old laws, especially common laws, are automatically wiped from the books.  It's a slow process, and when a conflicting law, such as this one, pops up where it calls into question its legality under the new government, it has to get addressed and removed/corrected.  The US had many such conflicts in her early years, just as pretty much every other nation which had a change of government at some point.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 01:03:20 PM »

"We" never considered the Taliban as the legitimate government, however, for 6 years, the Taliban was the ruling body for 95% of the country, with over half of it for 10 years.  Their version of law was based primarily on Islamic common law, which many of the warlords had been using during the civil wars.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 04:38:13 PM »

And the government that's based out of the people who fought the Taliban obviously didn't consider them the legitimate government either.

COMMON LAW!!!!!!

Sheesh . . . read!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 03:51:59 PM »

Latest bit of news on CNN says that the guy should be released from prison in the near future.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:23:27 AM »

Our good "ex-con" has now vanished.  Smart move . . . that is, if he vanished on purpose.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 11:58:17 AM »

Yup.  Her name is Sola Aoi.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 02:45:48 PM »

Our good "ex-con" has now vanished.  Smart move . . . that is, if he vanished on purpose.
Reports say he's been taken to Italy for political asylum. Good for them.

Yeah.  I had actually thought he would have gone to the Vatican (since the Pope made his decree for his release), but I don't think I've read anywhere what denomination the convert is.  hehehe . . . It would have been interesting to see the Pope and an Islamic cleric go at it.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies