Pope Francis on Paris Attack - "one who throws insults can expect a 'punch'" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:47:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis on Paris Attack - "one who throws insults can expect a 'punch'" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis on Paris Attack - "one who throws insults can expect a 'punch'"  (Read 13366 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: January 16, 2015, 01:33:49 AM »

Media fails at reporting what the Holy Father actually says, once again:

Pope Francis says there are limits to freedom of expression
Vatican Radio

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actual transcript:

Clearly the Pope was not in any way, shape, or form, condoning any sort of violence against people for expressing their beliefs; he rather explicitly said "one cannot kill in the name of God". Your title, Maxwell, is also a rather disappointing decontextualisation, deliberate or not: the "punch" was not in reference to the attack but rather a hypothetical response if someone were to insult his mother. What he is saying is, while unambiguously condemning the use of violence, that provocations and insults are generally bound to produce violence responses. Nowhere does he say this the appropriate response. But it is an expected one. This oughtn't to shock or surprise anyone, but the press again shows its inability to properly quote and contextualise what the Pope says...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »

Wow. A complete and utter milquetoast response at very best on religious violence by the Bishop of Rome. Not surprising, all things considered. 

I see you didn't bother to read what he said:

I also liked how he slipped in an admission of guilt for the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre in there.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »

Why is this even in this section? Surely this belongs in either International General Discussion or Religion & Philosophy?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:44:37 PM »

You might consider if that was my precise motive in pestering Ernest to move the thread here.

Wink
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 12:50:06 PM »

Anvi, I disagree with the last bit about not caring about the content.  Within the so called Islamic state people are getting their heads lopped off for all sorts of blasphemy, sorcery and assorted haram activities on a daily basis.  I dont think they are very sophisticated or rational in their tactics and strategy. Al Qaeda 1.0 seems to have been a more rational actor and that was  due to their more centralized command and control.  I think the France attacks are more in line with the new diffuse nature of things.

Keep in mind this attack was very much a show of force (or, if you would, a show of "we're still here") by AQAP and by extension Al-Qaeda.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies