FY 2015 Budget (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 05:59:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FY 2015 Budget (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Author Topic: FY 2015 Budget (Passed)  (Read 10941 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2015, 05:23:33 PM »

Furthermore, how can we actually be sure that the Justice Department is "grossly over-funded"?

When you have the resources to pursue cases that even by the Supreme Court's own admission appear to lack any merit whatsoever or that break zero laws, it's pretty obvious.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2015, 05:26:33 PM »

Ah, so we should just cripple an entire Department because you and others don't like that Zuwo and Rpryor are trying to enforce the laws of Atlasia? Brillant logic, I must say.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2015, 05:29:02 PM »

Prosecuting someone for a crime they were pardoned for is not "enforcing the laws of Atlasia," at least based on my understanding of our great country's laws.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2015, 05:39:05 PM »

There are reasonable doubts on the actions of the former President, the Justice Department has found them compelling enough to act, the Supreme Court has allowed the case to move forward, and a jury will decide, period. I find it rather surprising that a situation like that would be enough for people to wish to cripple our Justice Department.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »

Ah, so we should just cripple an entire Department because you and others don't like that Zuwo and Rpryor are trying to enforce the laws of Atlasia? Brillant logic, I must say.

I don't believe we have any discretion in whether or not to hear a trial. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. If the Justice department wishes to proceed with this despite the concerns raised we will assign a justice to preside.

Unless the Justice department decides otherwise and the President changes his mind, we'll have to go ahead and hear this case. We'll assign a presiding justice.

Alright, I guess we're going to proceed here.

Pssst: that's court speak for "you're conducting a witch-hunt with no legal basis and if we had a choice, we'd throw this out".
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »

I would appreciate it if we could keep this outside the budget discussions and on the appropriate thread, so I will just note that putting words on the mouth of the Supreme Court is certainly an accurate, honest and brilliantly persuasive line of argument.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »

I would appreciate it if we could keep this outside the budget discussions and on the appropriate thread, so I will just note that putting words on the mouth of the Supreme Court is certainly an accurate, honest and brilliantly persuasive line of argument.

It was abundantly clear that there was doubt about whether the case should have been taken in the first place, but they had no option. You, likewise, are putting words in their mouth by trying to lend the case credibility with the statement of "the Supreme Court has allowed the case to move forward", despite them having no choice. It's also obviously relevant to the proposed amendment in question because you posed the question as to why it was necessary in the first place.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2015, 01:55:06 AM »

It's obviously up to the other Senators to decide if they want to feed our resident trolls Lief and Griffin but cutting the budget of the DoJ will have no impact whatsoever on the number of cases and trials brought before the SC - not now and in the future.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »

I find it very disturbing that the Attorney General is poking his head into the Senate to insult a sitting Senator and regional representative.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2015, 07:35:55 AM »

You have called those serving in the DoJ buffoons and worse, just to put things in perspective. Your persistent trolling, which is the reason for your poor job approval ratings, needs to be called out.

Anyway, go ahead with your proposal to cripple the DoJ. The impacts will be felt by my successor, who's probably going to be someone closely affiliated with your party.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2015, 07:45:51 AM »

The level of McCarthyite witch-hunting this pathetic administration is willing to engage in for political gain is disgusting.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2015, 07:47:24 AM »

I join the concerns of just making blanket statements about how the DoJ is 'grossly over-funded'... can the Senators in favour of this quantify it?

I'm not opposed in principle, but I'd want a hell of a lot more support evidence.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2015, 08:28:08 AM »

A certain level of decorum and respect should be expected in the halls of the Senate, Mr. Attorney General. As for approval ratings, a ridiculously inactive cabinet secretary who should be impeached currently has approvals in the high 60s, so I don't pay much attention to those. The People elected me to stand up to the partisan overreach coming out of this administration, and I intend to do so.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2015, 09:54:50 AM »

Certain level of respect that this administration has not recieved from you, Senator, same case with Senator TNF. That you oppose what the administration does is one thing, another is the constant attempt to score political points with ludicrous proposal, not to mention the persistent name calling of several officers (and I'm used to that, but that doesn't make it respectful).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2015, 10:11:38 AM »

Perhaps if the Justice Department were as concerned with the safety of opposition Senators as it is with removing as many Labor voters as possible from the voter rolls, I would be less critical of it and its officers. But to come into the Senate and call a sitting Senator and regional legislator "trolls" is beyond the pale, and far beyond any criticisms I have leveled against you or your administration on the Senate floor. I understand that your administration would rather take money from the poor and the sick than an over-active and increasingly partisan branch of your administration, but that is absolutely no reason to engage in personal attacks more befitting a schoolyard than the People's Chamber.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to discuss the budget, not for the administration to air its partisan grievances. I hope we can return to that discussion.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2015, 11:49:23 AM »

Senators a vote is now open on Lief's amendment, please vote aye nay or abstain
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:19 PM »

Perhaps if the Justice Department were as concerned with the safety of opposition Senators as it is with removing as many Labor voters as possible from the voter rolls, I would be less critical of it and its officers. But to come into the Senate and call a sitting Senator and regional legislator "trolls" is beyond the pale, and far beyond any criticisms I have leveled against you or your administration on the Senate floor. I understand that your administration would rather take money from the poor and the sick than an over-active and increasingly partisan branch of your administration, but that is absolutely no reason to engage in personal attacks more befitting a schoolyard than the People's Chamber.

You have repeatedly stated that the DoJ is specifically and unfairly targeting members of your party. You have claimed that we are prosecuting Atlasians because of their political orientation. In fact, this is the most serious allegation that can be made against law enforcement authorities in a democratic state.

You are right, that I called you and Griffin "trolls" was inadequate and I regret that; my words should have been much harsher.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »

Aye, on the amendment.

It is clear that the DOJ is currently grossly over-funded. Because the Attorney General denies engaging in a partisan witch hunt, I have no other explanation for the parade of frivolous cases they have embarked on, including against citizens who are clearly innocent. These frivolous cases have been criticized by citizens from across the aisle, including the IDS speaker and a sitting court justice.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »

If we can find ways to actually run the judiciary more efficiently, than obviously I would support an amendment lowering spending, but this isn't about making the justice department more efficient in terms of expenses, this is about actively hurting the justice department to make some dumb statement. Hopefully the Senate rejects this amendment.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2015, 03:32:07 PM »

Nay
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »

In case Senators don't read the Senate protest and analysis thread, I would like to link the remarks of a concerned citizen on the budget numbers.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=19934.msg4481077#msg4481077
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »

I don't support a politically motivated move against the functions of Government, which are important, any more than any other politically motivated moves.

I don't support the amendment.

NAY
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2015, 05:59:38 PM »

Nay

Like practically everyone else in atlasia I think the prosecution against tyrion is misguided, and I really hope he is acquitted.

That said, I think there is a strong partition behind laws dealing with atlasia and laws dealing with the game, and I don't think we should interfere with that partition, for the same reason simfan is not obligated to be on every jury.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2015, 09:27:34 PM »

Nay
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2015, 08:26:13 AM »