Was FDR the best President we've ever had? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:37:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Was FDR the best President we've ever had? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Was FDR the best American President?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I)

No (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Was FDR the best President we've ever had?  (Read 4091 times)
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« on: March 12, 2014, 11:19:10 PM »

Can anyone actually name anything Washington did while President, or are we just going off of "THE FIRST, SO THE BEST"?
Of all the things Washington did, the greatest no doubt was the example he set of running for only two terms.  He easily could have run for reelection in 1796.  He had no health problems then that would have prevented it.  He likely would have gotten not only reelected, but also a third unanimous vote in the Electoral College.  We like to think there are no great men, only great ideas.  But without Washington, the United States would likely have descended into the typical post revolutionary hellhole of being a republic in name only led by a strongman who does anything it takes to stay in power, ostensibly because he is indispensable and is the only one who can run things, of which the two most egregious examples today are Zimbabwe under Mugabe and Russia under Putin.

FDR's hubris that led him to seek third term put that at risk and is both what made the 22nd Amendment necessary and puts him out of the top five in my list.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies