Christie and Appalachia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:29:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie and Appalachia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christie and Appalachia  (Read 1276 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 12, 2013, 09:51:57 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2013, 09:57:50 PM by Kevin »

How do you think Christie performs against Clinton in coal country in 2016? I don't see Christie as a big supporter of coal since he's one of those rare Republicans who believe in climate change. If Clintons plays this right she could make the whole region competitive, I see Christie under performing big here against her.

Being a national Democrat( as of now) seems poisonous in Appalachia. Ex. Just look at how "pro-coal" "Clinton" Democrats performed in this region in 2010, 2012, and the 2013 VA governor's Race. Ex. in 2013 Terry McAffule was butchered in the VA parts of the area while a pro-coal Democrat with White working class appeal(Ralph Northam)-the Lt. Gov. candidate didn't perform much better against the certifiability batsh**t E.W. Jackson.

So I am very skeptical that Hillary will do any better then Obama did in Appalachia in 2016(Even against Christie).
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »

How do you think Christie performs against Clinton in coal country in 2016? I don't see Christie as a big supporter of coal since he's one of those rare Republicans who believe in climate change. If Clintons plays this right she could make the whole region competitive, I see Christie under performing big here against her.

Being a national Democrat( as of now) seems poisonous in Appalachia. Ex. Just look at how "pro-coal" "Clinton" Democrats performed in this region in 2010, 2012, and the 2013 VA governor's Race. Terry McAffule was butchered in the VA parts of the area while a pro-coal Democrat with White working class appeal(Ralph Northam)-the Lt. Gov. candidate didn't performed much better against the certifiability batsh**t E.W. Jackson.

So I am very skeptical that Hillary will do any better then Obama did in Appalachia in 2016(Even against Christie).

What?

I believe he means like in the rural areas - Southwest Virginia.

Yes that's what I mean

No Democrat has won in SW VA since 2008 and the only county in that area that since is Montgomery County VA. Which is the home of Virginia Tech which skews the areas demographics.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »

Being a national Democrat( as of now) seems poisonous in Appalachia. Ex. Just look at how "pro-coal" "Clinton" Democrats performed in this region in 2010, 2012, and the 2013 VA governor's Race. Ex. in 2013 Terry McAffule was butchered in the VA parts of the area while a pro-coal Democrat with White working class appeal(Ralph Northam)-the Lt. Gov. candidate didn't perform much better against the certifiability batsh**t E.W. Jackson.

McAuliffe did not run as a pro-coal Democrat if anything he was probably the most anti-coal candidate to run and win in Virginia ever. West Virginia and Kentucky are still strongly Democrat downballot Clinton is the perfect candidate for these areas whereas Christie is your typical Northeastern Republican who supports gun control, climate change etc.

Still we have no reason to believe Hillary will perform any better then Obama.

Even Mitt Romney who was a Mormon from Massachusetts who routinely flipped-flopped between a New England moderate and a conservative destroyed Obama in this area of the country.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies