Electoral college poll by party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:54:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Electoral college poll by party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you favor replacing the electoral college with a nationwide popular vote?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/L/O)

No (I/L/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 133

Author Topic: Electoral college poll by party  (Read 45102 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: April 16, 2005, 06:45:42 PM »

Yes. (I)

I'm yet to see a single convincing argument in defense of allowing a guy with less votes than the other guy to win an election.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 01:51:12 PM »

Yes. (I)

I'm yet to see a single convincing argument in defense of allowing a guy with less votes than the other guy to win an election.

Except that you ignore the original ideas of the founders you would be correct. States elect the president not the people. The "people" were supposed to elect the House directly and now they elect both houses of Congress.

Well that's just not democracy if you ask me.  It may have worked fine in the late eighteenth century with only a few states and only a couple thousand voters.  But things change, and the need for more democratic election procedures for our head of state is sorely needed.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 03:53:38 PM »

Technically, we don't have a democracy.  We have a republic.  True democracy would mean majority rule on everything, with no protection of minority rights.  The electoral college is a form of protection for minority - in this case, small states - rights.  Minority doesn't almost mean somebody with darker than average skin; it has a broader definition, and the constitution is set up with checks and balances to prevent the will of the majority from overrunning certain guaranteed minority rights.  I wouldn't mess with it at this point.

I didn't say we'd be better off with direct elections either, because I agree with your points.  But the EC needs to be reformed.  I don't really have a solution to this (my compromise idea was largely shot down), all I can really do right now is bitch about it and nothing else. Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 08:43:56 PM »

The poll results are certainly to be expected.

I wonder if things would be different had Bush been the PV winner and Gore the EC winner in 2000?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies