Why are Muslim immigrants so bad at integrating into thier new host societies? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:02:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why are Muslim immigrants so bad at integrating into thier new host societies? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are Muslim immigrants so bad at integrating into thier new host societies?  (Read 2702 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 04, 2005, 01:55:34 PM »

I wonder if any Muslims in their own countries wonder the same thing about Western immigrants?  Every time I see or hear about an American or European who has moved out there, the immigrants always strike me as being incredibly insensitive to the customs and culture of their adopted nation.  And yet strangely the locals don't seem to complain too loudly about it.  Maybe we complain because the Muslim immigrants don't bring any money with them when they arrive here.

My complaint is always language.  No matter which country you are from, if you move to a new country, you should ALREADY know the local language before heading there.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 03:24:49 PM »

I wonder if any Muslims in their own countries wonder the same thing about Western immigrants?  Every time I see or hear about an American or European who has moved out there, the immigrants always strike me as being incredibly insensitive to the customs and culture of their adopted nation.  And yet strangely the locals don't seem to complain too loudly about it.  Maybe we complain because the Muslim immigrants don't bring any money with them when they arrive here.

My complaint is always language.  No matter which country you are from, if you move to a new country, you should ALREADY know the local language before heading there.

I agree, but this should work both ways too.

In what way?  That the host country needs to learn the language of the person coming to it?  I'm not ready to learn 100 languages.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 01:42:25 PM »

I agree, but this should work both ways too.

In what way?  That the host country needs to learn the language of the person coming to it?  I'm not ready to learn 100 languages.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  I meant that Muslim immigrants (and others) need to learn English if they want to move here, but also that Westerners need to learn the relevant language of the country they intend to move to as well.  It's only fair and reasonable.  We can't expect them to bend over backwards to cater for our cultural differences, and then kick up a fuss when they expect the same from us.

I agree.  I should have been more clear myself when I said "No matter which country you are from, if you move to a new country, you should ALREADY know the local language before heading there."  That's why I have/had basic working knowledge of various Asian languages before travelling and spending time over there.

Now . . . if only I could remember most of what I've forgotten.  HAHAHA
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies