Did you support gay marriage before Hillary Clinton? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 06:51:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Did you support gay marriage before Hillary Clinton? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: (March 2013)
Yes

No

Still don't

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 140

Author Topic: Did you support gay marriage before Hillary Clinton?  (Read 4835 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: April 12, 2015, 08:47:53 PM »

Yes (pro-discrimination far-right homophobe)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »

Probably since the late 1990s, which means before something like 90% of Democrats who support it now.

shua, I understand what you're going for here, but I think I can speak for all gays who aren't parody troll accounts here by saying that we recognize that people have to evolve on this issue, just as Obama and our family members have. While Hillary Clinton was unusually risk-averse, she's come around and become a strong advocate, and that's what matters now.

I voted for Hillary over Obama in 2008 in part because of Obama's reluctance on this issue—at least with Hillary, I knew I would get caution and cynicism. Obama has surprised me by embracing gay rights in his second term.

That is the case for most gays that I know personally, but I keep hearing from some corners that all those who oppose gay marriage are bigots. And that if you don't believe that those who oppose gay marriage are bigots who deserve to be punished, then you are a closet bigot yourself too. That is not what I would expect from those who recognize that this is a complicated issue for people they need to evolve on before they can embrace it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 06:08:19 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2015, 06:13:36 PM by shua »

That is the case for most gays that I know personally, but I keep hearing from some corners that all those who oppose gay marriage are bigots.

Well, the Internet is dark and full of terrors, and you'll hear all kinds of generalizations from people age 18 to whatever which haven't been thought through. I think there's a full spectrum of people from the 90 year old who just doesn't get gay marriage but doesn't really care if it becomes legal to the very cynical political operative who thinks it's still 2004 and he can use opposing gay marriage to prop up a candidate, and obviously you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

Some people who oppose gay marriage are bigots, not because they oppose gay marriage, but because their opposing gay marriage is just one expression of their hatred of or disgust for gays which doesn't have a well-thought-out ethos behind it. I also think I don't have an obligation to be appreciative of people who oppose same-sex marriage to the point they try to deny us equal rights under the law, because it's their feelings vs. my rights, and they don't care what I think anyway.

We seem to have traveled in light speed from "gay marriage is unpopular, so gays who come out should bear the social consequences of flaunting their lifestyle" to "gay marriage is popular, so people who oppose it are special snowflakes deserving of everyone's respect and tolerance" and it makes my head spin. 

It makes my head spin as well how soon we've gone from "gay rights don't threaten anyone else" to "you must conform or suffer the consequences." Do you have to be a "special snowflake" to deserve respect and tolerance?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies