Major campaign underway to nullify Electoral College (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:39:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Major campaign underway to nullify Electoral College (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Major campaign underway to nullify Electoral College  (Read 158816 times)
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« on: May 25, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1) You can theoretically win with 27% of the vote under the electoral college already
2) The two party system would still be a thing as long as first past the post is used.
3) I fail to see how it's a bad thing if third parties become relevant.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 07:28:01 AM »

That is definitely a possibility worth keeping in mind but I don't see it happening for quite awhile. This article assumes that  the two major parties would somehow lose their institutional credibility, it could happen down the line as third parties end up becoming more established. But the Democratic and Republican parties will not lose their fundraising capabilities or ubiquity enough for third parties to come in and take advantage of a further divided electorate. The two major parties will also have a better and more impressive pool of candidates compared to third parties and that may never change. If it does come down to a third party eking out a plurality though, maybe a national runoff election should be considered under those circumstances.
 I don't know, I'm still with the NPVIC. It's an attempt at change and if it needs to be changed too down the line, so be it.

Yeah. A nationwide popular vote system wouldn't change the reality that third parties would still have huge disadvantages in pretty much anything from fundraising ability to candidate quality. They're also the two parties that the vast majority of people have consistently voted for, and that can't be ignored.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies