An autopsy of liberal Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:08:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  An autopsy of liberal Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: An autopsy of liberal Republicans  (Read 13633 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2009, 07:35:12 PM »

Well that's not totally irrelevant and inappropriate (not to mention a falsehood) at all! I'm glad you're not above personal attacks and lies while at the same time denouncing them.

So you're allowed to personally attack me and I have to take the high road? Haha, ok, child.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Dear Dope,

You were talking about why the GOP is a failure nationally so how are national election results (which you brought up in your comment, "that's why we have elections") irrelevant?

[/quote]

Ok and I'll explain away why the country really doesn't like Obama's policies...  Roll Eyes
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2009, 12:27:37 AM »

Talking to Phil is like talking to an ostrich.
Which makes sense the moment you realise that for him Santorum is considered a mainstream conservative.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2009, 12:32:50 AM »

Which makes sense the moment you realise that for him Santorum is considered a mainstream conservative.

Brilliant technique. I just don't know how you guys do it!

Failing to make a point -> Er...quick...do something -> Bring up his bad predictions? -> Eh, overplayed. Let's go for something more original -> Oh! He likes that nutty extremist Santorum -> LOL YA THAT WORKS EVERYTIME!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2009, 12:35:51 AM »

What's the point?

Marokai mentioned that the Republican House leadership rewarded Bachmann with a position in an Energy Task Force Group, after her idiotic statements, and you ignore this point and continue to say that no prominent Republican defended her.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2009, 12:37:53 AM »

What's the point?

Marokai mentioned that the Republican House leadership rewarded Bachmann with a position in an Energy Task Force Group, after her idiotic statements, and you ignore this point and continue to say that no prominent Republican defended her.

Phil prefers to focus more on my supposed masturbation habits.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2009, 12:39:15 AM »

What's the point?

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

How do you say "wrong" in Greek? I'll say it that way if need be.

I said that the mainstream Republicans don't give a damn about Bachmann. We didn't reward her with anything. She hasn't won scores of praise from Republicans nationally.

I'm sorry but Republicans across the country don't get a say in who gets named to some "task force." When the party as a whole holds her up as some model of perfection, feel free to give me a call.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2009, 12:45:14 AM »

λάθος
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2009, 12:46:41 AM »

What's the point?

I said that the mainstream Republicans don't give a damn about Bachmann. We didn't reward her with anything. She hasn't won scores of praise from Republicans nationally.

I'm sorry but Republicans across the country don't get a say in who gets named to some "task force." When the party as a whole holds her up as some model of perfection, feel free to give me a call.

Republicans across the country vote for those who comprise the Republican leadership.
Just because they aren't elected nationwide or statewide that doesn't mean they are not the face of your party. After all, Cantor himself strives to become the top Republican spokesman.

Correct. Wink
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2009, 12:48:01 AM »

And the DFL is certainly making Bachmann the face of Republicans here, the standard talking point for the past 2 years has been "If you vote for any Republican for any office you are voting for Michele Bachmann."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2009, 12:51:47 AM »

What's the point?

Republicans across the country vote for those who comprise the Republican leadership.

LOL

Wow. Just...wow. So, basically, the Republicans across the country voted for Boehner and McConnell as their leaders? And what about Republicans like myself who have Democratic Representatives?

Uh...ok? I never said they weren't the face but that doesn't mean they're approved of by Republicans across the country.

And what the hell does Eric Cantor wanting to be the top spokesman have to do with any of this? You keep changing the topic. The topic was whether or not a certain person was approved of/supported by the Republican party as a whole.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2009, 12:55:44 AM »

To be fair Phil, you got to realize that is largely how things are perceived in other countries, especially ones with parliamentary systems. Someone from another country having such a misconception wouldn't be uncommon.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2009, 12:57:10 AM »

WTF are you talking about man?

The only one who is elected nationwide is the President.

Following your logic, NOBODY in the Republican party is approved by Republicans across the country.
Jesus! That's the most lame excuse I have ever heard.  
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2009, 12:59:27 AM »

Following your logic, NOBODY in the Republican party is approved by Republicans across the country.

The amusing thing is he basically accused Alcon of shifting goalposts mid-argument.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2009, 01:00:39 AM »

To be fair Phil, you got to realize that is largely how things are perceived in other countries, especially ones with parliamentary systems. Someone from another country having such a misconception wouldn't be uncommon.

Px throws himself into enough discussions here. He knows how things work.

Right because apparently the respective parties don't have nominees every four years. When someone who is Bachmann-esque is nominated, give me a call.

And, no, I'm not saying they have to be elected nationwide, toolbox. I'm asking for public opinion polls, surveying Republicans, as evidence of GOP approval of people like Bachmann. Being awarded by some stupid task force doesn't translate to "TEH GOP IS LOVIN THIS BITCH!"

The amusing thing is he basically accused Alcon of shifting goalposts mid-argument.

Uh...nothing I said shifted goal posts. You two shifted the goal posts. It went from "A majority of the GOP likes her" to "Well, not necessarily a majority but they still like her" to "Some task force honored her so the 'people that matter' like her."

Hilariously stupid.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2009, 01:01:39 AM »

[/quote]

Uh...nothing I said shifted goal posts. You two shifted the goal posts. It went from "A majority of the GOP likes her" to "Well, not necessarily a majority but they still like her" to "Some task force honored her so the 'people that matter' like her."

Hilariously stupid.
[/quote]

Please point out where I said the majority of the Republican Party defended Michelle Bachmann, ever.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2009, 01:04:59 AM »

Hilariously stupid.
[/quote]

Please point out where I said the majority of the Republican Party defended Michelle Bachmann, ever.
[/quote]

I'm sorry, you said the majority was simply on the fringe and approved of fringe figures in general. I don't know if you ever mentioned Bachmann by name. Since I have more important things to do, I'm not digging through this (or any other thread) to possibly prove you wrong.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2009, 01:06:16 AM »

And, no, I'm not saying they have to be elected nationwide, toolbox. I'm asking for public opinion polls, surveying Republicans, as evidence of GOP approval of people like Bachmann. Being awarded by some stupid task force doesn't translate to "TEH GOP IS LOVIN THIS BITCH!"

That goes straight to the Comedy Goldmine.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »

Thanks  Smiley  but I'll note that you ignored my point.  Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2009, 01:08:25 AM »

Even more irony!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2009, 01:18:11 AM »

Thanks  Smiley  but I'll note that you ignored my point.  Wink

When there is out there a poll who asks Republicans nationwide if they approve or disapprove of Bachmann, I'll respond.

For the moment I know that they approved of W. and Cheney, and that's enough for me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2009, 11:34:57 AM »

For the moment I know that they approved of W. and Cheney, and that's enough for me.

Incorrect as far as I know. I always remember taking comfort in the fact that I was a Republican that wasn't thrilled with Cheney when I'd look at approval ratings among Republicans. Even Bush wasn't that widely approved of by Republicans in his second term but that's irrelevant anyway.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »

Incorrect as far as I know. I always remember taking comfort in the fact that I was a Republican that wasn't thrilled with Cheney when I'd look at approval ratings among Republicans. Even Bush wasn't that widely approved of by Republicans in his second term but that's irrelevant anyway.

Phil, are you per the force and effect of sheer numbers around here, slowly being worn down to a moderate, and rendered a mere shadow of your former self?  Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2009, 02:44:31 PM »

I think he meant "not thrilled with Cheney's approval ratings".
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

I think he meant "not thrilled with Cheney's approval ratings".

No, I meant I was never thrilled with him.

Phil, are you per the force and effect of sheer numbers around here, slowly being worn down to a moderate, and rendered a mere shadow of your former self?  Tongue

Haha, no. I've never been a Cheney guy. My views and who I admire in politics really haven't changed much over the years. Some of you are simply finally realizing I'm not some nutcase, far right winger hack.  Wink

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies