Perry comeback cont
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:36:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Perry comeback cont
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Perry comeback cont  (Read 434 times)
Southern Democrat
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:04:12 PM »
« edited: July 30, 2014, 02:57:24 PM by Southern Democrat »

Since TX Conservative Dem was banned from the site forever, I'll try to update his post.

March 4, 2014: Governor Perry won the GOP nomination in a landslide over State AG Greg Abbott (R): 57-28. Pauken was in 3rd place with 13 percent.

In Abbott's concession speech, he thanked his family and supporters for supporting his campaign and pledged to support Governor Perry's reelection campaign.

On the Democratic side, State Senator Wendy Davis (D-Fort Worth) won the Democratic nomination, but performed very badly in the Valley, where majority of Hispanic voters are Pro-Life.

Over at the Perry headquarters in Buda, Texas (same place where he celebrated his 2010 reelection victory), Perry said the following: "I want to thank everyone, who has supported me during this reelection campaign as we are continuing the fight for States' Rights. To those who supported General Abbott and Mr. Pauken, I offer my pledge to earn your support in spite of a spirited, heated and contentious primary, we are all united in the fight against Barack Obama's big government power-grab whether it's Obamacare, EPA regulations or massive debt that is hurting our next generation of Americans."

Among the other down-ballot statewide offices: in the race for Texas State AG, the Democrats nominated State Senator Kirk Watson (D-Austin) as their nominee for the state's law enforcement post while the hotly GOP primary goes to a runoff between State Senator Ken Paxton (R-McKinney) and State Rep. Dan Branch (R-Dallas).

Agriculture Commissioner-Democratic primary: runoff between former Agriculture Commissioner Jim Hightower (D), who is attempting to reclaim the office in which he was defeated for by Perry back in 1990 against Kinky Friedman (D), whom many feel is desperate to win office.

Lieutenant Governor-GOP primary: Tea Party favorite, State Senator Dan Patrick (R-Houston) came close to winning the primary outright, but fell about 6 points short: garnering 44 percent of the vote to incumbent Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst (R)'s 29 percent, while Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson (R) was in 3rd place with 16 percent and Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples (R) getting just 10 percent.

Runoff between Patrick and Dewhurst starts May 27th.

On the Democratic side, State Senator Leticia Van de Putte (D-San Antonio) was unopposed in winning the Democratic primary for Lieutenant Governor. She'll immediately start saving up $$$$ and campaign across the state this week by introducing herself to voters, outside of her comfort zone of San Antonio.

In the U.S. Senate race on the GOP side, incumbent U.S. Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) easily won the nomination over U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) with 60 percent of the vote to Stockman's 28% with 12 percent going to the rest.

On the Democratic side, former U.S. Rep. Chet Edwards (D-TX) is in a runoff with psycho nut Kesha Rodgers (D). But the majority of TX Dems are backing Edwards due to his long service in the US House for years and years.

In the Texas Comptroller's race, State Senator Glenn Hegar (R-Katy) was leading the GOP primary with 49.92 percent of the vote compared to State Rep. Harvey Hilderbran (R-Kerrville), who had 29.17 percent while Debra Medina (R) was dead last with 16 percent, effectively ending her hopes of a political career.

On the Democratic side, businessman Mike Collier (D) was unopposed and is already running TV ads statewide during the month of April and the summer by introducing himself.

The judicial statewide offices for both TX Supreme Court and TX Court of Criminal Appeals results in the same in RL.

For Land Commissioner: George P. Bush (R) easily won his primary on the GOP side with nearly 80 percent, while on the Democratic side, former El Paso Mayor John Cook (D) is in a runoff with State Rep. Richard Raymond (D-Laredo), who is attempting to test the statewide waters again (after his '98 run).

Railroad Commissioner-GOP primary: Ryan Sitton (R) and Steve Brown (D) won their respective nominations very handily.

Southern Democrat
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2014, 03:59:02 PM by Southern Democrat »

University of Texas-Austin/Texas Tribune Poll had Perry leading by 24 points over Davis: 56 percent to 32 percent and the Democratic Governors Association announced the race is officially over by not spending a single $$$ to Texas, which of course infuriated Davis (April 30, 2014).

Desperate for salvaging her poll numbers, Davis runs a controversial TV ad on statewide television, that many considered crossing the line: "Did you know that Rick Perry's double-dipping was used to hide his daughter's secret abortion four years ago ?. Rick Perry claims to be Pro-Life, but when it comes down to the real stuff, he and his cronies take millions to cover-up Sydney Perry's secret abortion by paying off abortion doctors with threats and intimidation. Rick Perry: The Typical Hypocrite on Human Life."

The backlash was very severe: Governor Perry and his family called a press conference at the State Capitol Rotunda in Austin to blast Davis' campaign for spreading false rumors about his children, especially his daughter, Sydney.

Texas First Lady Anita Perry called Davis, "The most cold-hearted, backstabbing person, who uses lies and hood-winked attacks" by trying to salvage her campaign. Sydney Perry took to the podium to scorch Davis to the carpet by telling Davis to "mind her own damn business.", which also included several expletives.

Former Texas Lieutenant Governor Bill Hobby, Jr., (D): "I was very appalled that Senator Davis would go so far as to attacking Governor Perry's family in order to salvage her desperate campaign, which isn't going so well. I'm calling on her to drop out of the race right now !!!"

*Hobby also insisted that former Dallas Mayor Laura Miller (D) be the Democratic nominee for governor.

Former Fort Worth Mayor Mike Moncrief (D): " I thought that I knew Wendy, when she was on the Fort Worth City Council as a civil person despite disagreements on the important issues, but boy oh boy, was I wrong.

The way that Wendy's campaign ran that controversial commercial on statewide television was disgusting to me and very embarrassing to the state of Texas. With that said, I feel that not only does Senator Davis drop out of the gubernatorial race, but I'm calling for her resignation from the Texas State Senate because if she is still in the race, she'll drag down everyone on the Democratic ticket with her in November."

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (D) (on Fox News Sunday: May 4, 2014): "Well, when I heard about the commercial, I thought that it wasn't a big deal, but later, after I watched it myself, I was very disturbed that Ms. Davis would use such character assassination against Governor Perry and his family in such a way that has really caused me to pause and think for the betterment of the Democratic Party for Ms. Davis to drop out of the Texas governor's race immediately and if she doesn't, I believe that the chairman of the Texas Democratic Party should pull all of the remaining resources from her campaign if she doesn't drop out gracefully."

Former U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX): " What Wendy Davis did this week was disgusting and crossed a very big line that shouldn't be crossed....period !"

"If the State Senator from Fort Worth has any decency or dignity left, she should not only apologize to Governor Perry and his family, but she should also apologize to the entire state of Texas for running such an ugly, smear campaign against the first family of Texas."

May 5, 2014: Davis calls a press conference in Fort Worth, announcing she's dropping out of the gubernatorial race but will not resign from the Texas State Senate. Leaving Perry without an opponent as he campaigns aggressively into Democratic strongholds.

Runoff Election Updates-May 27th:

Lieutenant Governor (Republican Primary)-Patrick easily trounces Dewhurst, who was unseated from office after 12 years in office by a margin of 68% to 32% and plus, he also carried all of the state's major cities such as Houston, Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, etc.,

Dewhurst called to concede the election as early as 7:55 P.M. once early voting showed Patrick leading by 40.

State Attorney General (Republican Primary)-Paxton squeaks by over Branch in one of the most nastiest campaigns ever as to who was the "True Conservative": Paxton won 51% to 49% and immediately went on the attack on his Democratic rival in the general election, State Senator Kirk Watson (D-Austin): by calling him a big government liberal trial lawyer, who supports abortion and doesn't respect family values.

U.S. Senator (Democratic Primary)-former U.S. Rep. Chet Edwards (D-TX) easily wins the nomination over Rodgers: 74% to 26%. But polls show Edwards badly trailing Cornyn from 20 to 33 points, so Edwards' campaign will need some grassroots help since the DSCC won't spend any money on a hopeless Senate race in Texas.

Agriculture Commissioner (Democratic Primary)-Hightower won the nomination in an attempt to reclaim his old job, defeating Friedman: 56% to 44%. Hightower told his supporters at his campaign headquarters in Austin that he plans on spending money in TV advertising statewide early in the summer to get his message across. He called for three debates with his GOP opponent, Sid Miller.

Commissioner of the General Land Office (Democratic Primary)-Raymond wins 53% to 47% over Cook, but faces big steep uphill odds against heavy favorite, George P. Bush (R), who's been campaigning across the state since last year when he announced his intentions for the job.

By June 26th, the Texas Democrats name former Dallas Mayor Laura Miller as their candidate for the governorship, but she's already trailing big by 28 points.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies