Cuomo v. Teachout (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:25:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cuomo v. Teachout (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cuomo v. Teachout  (Read 39097 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 24, 2014, 05:41:02 PM »

Hearing rumblings that NYT may endorse her.

That would be an incredible boost to her campaign, and a shocking one.

Genuine question- when was the last time a newspaper endorsement dramatically changed the course of an election?

Well, not dramatically, but it's possible that the NY Times endorsement made the difference when Ned Lamont primaried Joe Lieberman.

Statewide, you are right, it won't affect the race. But there are certain communities that are known as the NYT Editorial areas, where the NYT nod almost always helps Council candidates etc clinch the nominations. The Upper West Side (especially), Upper East Side, Park Slope, Downtown Brooklyn, etc, have huge turnout #s even in uncompetitive, and the NYT endorsement could earn Teachout thousands of votes in these high turnout communities. You have to keep in mind that though Cuomo has a huge war-chest, his support among prime Democrats is tepid, and many don't even realize there is a primary.

The NYT endorsement could have particular effect in this race, even beyond the normal bump in prestige, name recognition, legitimacy, and aid in recruiting volunteers and donors. A lot of Democrats upset with Cuomo may have some very serious (and frankly legitimate) concerns about casting a protest vote for someone named "Zephyr Rain Teachout", perceiving them to be another "Rent's Too Damn High" kook. The NYT blessing would do much to give her much-needed credibility.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 05:58:15 PM »

Any realistic chance Teachout could carry a single county (and if so which one)?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:01:19 AM »

Cuomo actually said today that the only number that matters is 50%. Oof. Kinda like the only poll that matters is Election Day.

Wow, are his internals that bad?

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/506862415502655490

They're pulling out de Blasio to wax rhapsodic about conservadem Hochul tomorrow. Fun!

I wish de Blasio was supporting Teachout. It would be a lot better for his policy goals (if she were to win, but I guess he thinks that's impossible).

Or did so a couple months ago, just like everyone else.

In 20/20 hindsight, the WPF endorsement was Teachout's for the taking if De Blasio had theoretically endorsed her. With his active backing she'd be in 40+% range for the Dem primary easy, and Wu would be downright favored. It still likely wouldn't be enough, and not worth it to De Blasio causing a civil war in the party just for what would likely be one huge warning shot off Cuomo's bow. He wants to be a good party guy to later become gov or senator himself.

But boy it would've made for an even more interesting election. Grin

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:45:30 PM »

Chill, people. Teachout will be lucky to hit 40% or win a single county. The Cuomo campaign is worried because that an outside--but politically embarrassing--possibility, but they're not 'panicking' because there's no chance of an actual loss.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »

It's because Cuomo is only one example of how Italian-Americans are horrible people.

Jesus Christ, are you incapable of not being an asshole for five seconds?

Profanity guidelines be damned! This x 100! Angry
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »

The Cuomo-Hochul spread is a lot smaller than I thought.  The Cuomo machine did its job in getting the machine vote to Hochul well.

And whatever it did not, she did a good job compensating in the Upstate. She is a solid politician, always liked her.

My thoughts exactly.  I really like Hochul.  I considered switching my registration on temp basis to Dem just to vote for her in the primary as I will still vote for the GOP ticket in the general election.  I also wanted to vote to Cuomo in the Dem primary in such a scenario as I have a high level of respect for him although I will not vote for him in the general.

$hitiest. Endorsement. Evah.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 08:44:39 PM »

I'm kind of surprised everyone thinks that NYC Dems are all progressives rather than minorities and the working class.

Who says minorities can't be progressives?

Or working class voters.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 09:32:48 PM »

*sigh* I had been so happy when de Blasio won; I'd been hoping he won way back when Anthony Weiner and Christine Quinn were supposed to be locks to win Sad  What a disappointment!  Sadly, he'll probably be New York's next Senator or Governor Sad  His kind always seem to win; things like this really make it hard not to just sink into apathy.  Just more proof that you never know with these guys until they inevitably let you down Sad

I agree with you, De Blasio has higher aspirations so he's selling out to get ahead, it's disappointing because I was a huge BDB guy like you.

Yes, the fact that he wouldn't back a protest candidate that never ever EVER had a chance to win, even with his theoretical enthusiastic backing, and didn't even back a severe underdog for a do-nothing office, means he's obviously an ideological Judas.

And liberals say Republicans are ideological purists. Roll Eyes
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »

*sigh* I had been so happy when de Blasio won; I'd been hoping he won way back when Anthony Weiner and Christine Quinn were supposed to be locks to win Sad  What a disappointment!  Sadly, he'll probably be New York's next Senator or Governor Sad  His kind always seem to win; things like this really make it hard not to just sink into apathy.  Just more proof that you never know with these guys until they inevitably let you down Sad

I agree with you, De Blasio has higher aspirations so he's selling out to get ahead, it's disappointing because I was a huge BDB guy like you.

Yes, the fact that he wouldn't back a protest candidate that never ever EVER had a chance to win, even with his theoretical enthusiastic backing, and didn't even back a severe underdog for a do-nothing office, means he's obviously an ideological Judas.

And liberals say Republicans are ideological purists. Roll Eyes

I'm talking about De Blasio backing Kathy Hochul, Jeff Klein, and Tony Avella.  If it were just him not backing Teachout, I could forgive him, but the f[inks]ing IDC?Huh Seriously?

My bad about Teachout; that wasn't my read (though I stick to my comments about not supporting Wu over Hochul being a no big whoop that would've been utterly foolish to do otherwise).

Re: the IDC candidates, yeah, i'd be teed about that if I were still a Democrat. Tongue though wasn't there a deal where the IDC where they are (at least provisionally) ending their alliance with the GOP and giving control back to the Dems?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »

2) As a personal matter to be applied to myself, I am not for miscegenation.  Ergo I would not consider dating someone that is not Chinese.  My current DW is indeed of Chinese origin just like myself.

The fact you apply it only too yourself doesn't make it any less horribly racist.

A personal lifestyle choice, true, but a theroughly racist one just the same.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »

^ You're a racist. Really no other term can fit it. It's like a white person saying they'll never date a non-white person.

Eh, pretty sure his position is more like a Swede saying they'd never date a non-Swede (or a Swede that doesn't speak Swedish), or an Italian saying they'd never date a non-Italian, etc. That doesn't make it less objectionable, but it's not strictly race-based either.

Well, let's see:

Jaichind: would you ever date/marry a half Chinese/half-Korean or Japanese woman who was fully fluent in Chinese language AND culture (from extensive time spent there or whatever)? How about a half-chinese/half caucasian woman with the same cultural fluency? If yes, how about a woman who is only one quarter Chinese?

Would you even go as far as dating a full-blood non-Chinese Asian woman under such circumstances?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 11:04:14 AM »

Who cares? Let him do what he wants. Insisting thst people be attracted to people of other races or be deemed racist is absurd. He's not saying it should be banned. Christ, whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Next thing you know you'll be calling us transphobic because we don't want to date men who have had gender reassignment surgery.

I obviously understand he's not calling for legislation against inter-racial marrying/dating, but the fact it's a personal choice doesn't make it any less a racist choice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies