If it actually came down to it, would USA/Russian/China nuke major cities, or is that bluff? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 11:38:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If it actually came down to it, would USA/Russian/China nuke major cities, or is that bluff? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
USA would nuke major cities of the other two , not just military targets

Russia would nuke major cities of the other two , not just military targets

China would nuke major cities of the other two , not just military targets

None would nuke major cities that devastate much more than military targets

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: If it actually came down to it, would USA/Russian/China nuke major cities, or is that bluff?  (Read 1033 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 22, 2024, 11:50:15 AM »

Russia is the only unknown here, and I doubt they would.  It's not 1963.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 01:59:04 AM »

I think all three would certainly try (why wouldn't they?), though there are definitely questions about things like Russia's ability to target locations very precisely. (Also, for all three countries, the decades-long pause in testing means we don't really know if any of them are actually nuclear powers -- it might be better to write something like 'presumed nuclear powers'. That said, the generally good performance of antiquated US tech in Ukraine is a strong sign that American military maintenance probably is up to par.)
I'm admittedly very biased, but I have full faith in the US's triad working good enough to get the job done.  (and that we wouldn't target population centers with no military value in such a situation, because why would we?)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 02:59:57 AM »

I question your premise.  When has any nuclear power demonstrated, even rhetorically, a willingness to use nukes against civilians?

Other than August 6 and 9th 1945?
they were both military targets.  Hiroshima was the military HQ for all of souther Japan.  Nagasaki was the most import port in the south and held a lot of military industry.  There was other things at play, sure, but there was military justification for the bombings.

<again, I'm admittedly biased>
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies