Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:27:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination? [last Intrade transaction price in brackets]
Rudy Giuliani [36.0]

Mitt Romney [23.0]

Fred Thompson [21.8]

John McCain [6.3]

Ron Paul [5.2]

Newt Gingrich [4.0]

Mike Huckabee [3.8]

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Who do you THINK will win the Republican nomination?  (Read 3487 times)
M

« on: August 15, 2007, 03:03:01 PM »

I still think Giuliani on electability.

Are we totally sure that Fred is an just having a NOT-flavor-of-the month? Is it so unlikely that should he get in in September, he'll make up for lost time?
M

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 04:24:02 PM »

I'm having a hard time imagining anyone winning the nomination right now.

Rudy Giuliani is an authoritarian asshole

Who cares how he governs at home? The point is, he's the only candidate with the balls to take the fight, and democracy, to the enemy. I have never understood how anyone can claim to be 'libertarian' at home and yet effectively support totalitarianism abroad by opposing foreign intervention. That's the worst kind of hypocrisy.
M

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 09:27:06 PM »

I'm having a hard time imagining anyone winning the nomination right now.

Rudy Giuliani is an authoritarian asshole

Who cares how he governs at home? The point is, he's the only candidate with the balls to take the fight, and democracy, to the enemy. I have never understood how anyone can claim to be 'libertarian' at home and yet effectively support totalitarianism abroad by opposing foreign intervention. That's the worst kind of hypocrisy.

A true Libertarian would neither support nor attempt to overthrow a dictator abroad. During wars is when the most freedoms are lost, if you were to look at it on a graph. Also, I would presume that a Libertarian would support the preservation of life (and no, I'm not referring to abortion), so lives can easily be saved on both sides by not getting into a war. It is not hypocritical for a Libertarian to be supportive of non-intervention abroad, in fact, I would think that the opposite would be true. A genuine Libertarian knows that, by definition, you cannot spread freedom through the barrel of a gun.

1. Show me a graph of the freedoms won/lost worldwide through the Civil War WWII and its aftermath.
2. How many lives were saved by delaying or avoiding interventions in Germany, Cambodia, Rwanda, and the Sudan?
3. But I must concede, military solutions have utterly failed in securing American independece; in ending Southern slavery, the Holocaust, and the gulag archipelago; or in bringing democracy to Germany, Italy or Japan. I guess freedom doesn't flow from the barrel of the gun.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies