Trump: exercise is bad, people are like batteries (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:41:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: exercise is bad, people are like batteries (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump: exercise is bad, people are like batteries  (Read 2660 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: May 16, 2017, 07:48:47 AM »

Isn't it obvious that Trump does not exercise just by looking at him?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »

Isn't it obvious that Trump does not exercise just by looking at him?

Does a picture exists of Trump with his short off?

I certainly hope not!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:50:03 AM »

Oh man, I've literally been saying this my whole life, not even trolling. There is nothing stupider than exercise. I will never partake!

The epitome of Atlas

I thought the quote below was original from an illustrious President of the U of Chicago, my alma mater, but apparently not.

"Whenever I feel an urge to EXERCISE I lie down until it goes away." This observation is often attributed to Mark Twain. It certainly "sounds like" the sedentary author. Others who get credit for the witticism include W. C. Fields, animator Paul Terry, and--most often--former University of Chicago president Robert Maynard Hutchins.

According to biographer Harry S. Ashmore, this line originated with humorist J. P. McEvoy and was one of many that Hutchins squirreled away to use at appropriate moments. In a 1938 profile of Hutchins, McEvoy himself wrote in American Mercury, "He holds with that hero who confessed: 'The secret of my abundant health is that whenever the impulse to exercise comes over me, I lie down until it passes away.'" If "that hero" was McEvoy himself, he wouldn't be the first writer to put his own words in an anonymous mouth.

A version of this line ("Every time I think of exercise, I have to lie right down 'til the feeling leaves me.") appeared in the 1939 movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, whose screenplay was written by Sidney Buchman.

Verdict: Not Twain, not Hutchins, more likely J. P. McEvoy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies