As residents flee the new police state, Arizona's economy gets even worse (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:40:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  As residents flee the new police state, Arizona's economy gets even worse (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: As residents flee the new police state, Arizona's economy gets even worse  (Read 4701 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« on: July 24, 2010, 12:55:41 PM »

Yeah protectionist measures (yeah that's right I'm calling nativist policies "protectionist", so sue me) usually have the effect of making the economy worse.
What I always found amazing though is how inconsistent a lot of these people are when they voice support for free trade yet support strongarm immigration legislation.....

Will this do for Arizona what Smoot-Hawley did for 1930s America?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 10:54:13 PM »

Yeah protectionist measures (yeah that's right I'm calling nativist policies "protectionist", so sue me) usually have the effect of making the economy worse.
What I always found amazing though is how inconsistent a lot of these people are when they voice support for free trade yet support strongarm immigration legislation.....

Will this do for Arizona what Smoot-Hawley did for 1930s America?

You know, quoting the worst excesses of an otherwise sound policy isn't very constructive. Tariffs were very effective in the 19th century.
If the goal is to supress economic growth, than they were and are very successful. The effect is the same whether you're transporting goods or people across borders.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies