Self defense from a Policeman. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:29:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Self defense from a Policeman. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Self defense from a Policeman.  (Read 4079 times)
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« on: November 16, 2008, 10:05:30 AM »

Say a policeman is overstepping his bounds, using excessive force with his club to subdue someone who is guilty of no crime.

Suppose this person has a firearm and shoots the police officer.

Is there a different standard for self defense here? If someone decided to start beating me with a club in public for no good reason, I assume that shooting them with a legal weapon would be an acceptable form of self-defense. But if its an officer, is one legally bound to take it?

First off Police officers are supposed to uphold the law in and out of uniform.

Yes, you will be legally bound to take it.  You would lose if you shot and killed the officer in court of law.
The best thing to do in that situation is... like I said obey and if assaulted, let it play out in the court of law.
That's why you have rights and lawyers.

Iam not dismissing this as a stupid question, its actually a good one.  I could see a scenario where if lets say a Woman was about to be raped by a patrolman who pulled her over, and she killed him. To which the judge would rule in her favor.  BUT the evidence better be pretty damn good.

In the case of a officer ruffling somebody up, it would be foolish to use deadly force in the name of self -defense.

I don't think a case like this has came up in a self defense friendly state yet?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »

I don't see you getting off in that case either.

You shoot a REAL cop in uniform and you are pretty much cooked.  Hell shooting a off duty cop and you are pretty much finished.

Like I said it best to use the none deadly force or avoid the situation to start with.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies