My Prediction (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:00:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  My Prediction (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Prediction  (Read 4913 times)
pieman
Rookie

« on: June 11, 2004, 03:52:03 PM »

MN coservationism is exemplified by Coleman's position on ANWAR. Eventhough Coleman is strong Bush supporter, his position on ANWAR has been soft at best.

Minnesotans, some Republicans included, are not fond of the idea of drilling in Alaska. However, ANWAR seems to be less of a flash point than 4 years ago. I think there are several reasons for this. First, the issue is old. Second, Coleman is not running. Third, there is a greater appreciation for the need for more US oil supply in light of higher gas prices and a greater understanding of the ability to drill for oil in ANWAR without disturbing the environment.    

I see MN as trending significantly to the right on tax, regulation, and size of government issues and tending to the center on education and environment.  

MN is willing to endure greater regulation with regard to the environment, but not to the extent that it greatly impacts the economy. There is great respect for the land and lakes due to a heritage of agriculture and fishing.

Almost everyone in MN has a fishing license. The fishing opener is as close to a state holiday as possible without being one. If it occured during the week, I am sure the state would shut down.  The governor is EXPECTED to go fishing on the opener, the location of which is rotated to highlight different fishing and resort locations throughout the state. The number and size of fish caught by the governor is reported by all local networks.

MN's position probably best described as conservationist as opposed to environmentalist.

MN has also been trending to the center regarding education.  Spending on education is being supported at the state instead of the local level. However, there is significant support for accountability requirements as well as support for vouchers.

It will be interesting to see how independent candidates fare this election in MN. Minnesota has seriously dabbled with IND candidates with Ventura as governor and with significant percentage results from Nader, Anderson, Perot on the presidental level and Penny on the governor level two years ago.

I think MN is about -2% for Bush compared to his national averages.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies