Why Do You Believe? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:26:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Why Do You Believe? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Do You Believe?  (Read 5414 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« on: October 08, 2015, 08:01:35 AM »

I believe, because, despite what your post claims, there is not overwhelming evidence against my belief. You seem to claim to have evidence that God definitely does not exist. What is that evidence?

I don't think that it can be proven either way and for me that is a reason not to believe.
There are many hypotheses that can't be proven. Why should I believe in any of them?
There seem to be two schools of thought about theism, that a deity's existence can be proven, and if that were true it would be a reason to believe, I suppose. The other is faith, a tenuous concept to say the least.
If a deity exists what purpose would such a belief have? You can be just as good being a non-believer as you can as a believer.
There are plenty of reasons not to believe, such as the problem of evil, a problem with no adequate solution in my opinion.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 09:49:47 AM »

There is also the problem of people of different religions who think that only they have the correct one. It doesn't make religion look good.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »

There is also the problem of people of different religions who think that only they have the correct one. It doesn't make religion look good.
But that's not relevant to the perspective of someone who beliefs. The fact that many are wrong doesn't mean that I cannot be right. This "pluralist" criticism of religion solely stems from a secular perspective.
The question is, how do you know your religion is correct and others are wrong? I disagree that it is soley a secular question. A believer can ask himself and herself the same question, if he or she so choses, and often does if he or she really thinks about it.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »

Also not all secular people are pluralists; I think that that goes without saying, since some atheists do criticize religion.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »

Also not all secular people are pluralists; I think that that goes without saying, since some atheists do criticize religion.
Oh, of course. My point was only that this particular pluralist critique of religion is only relevant to (some) non-religious people, but won't convince religious people.
Yes, I agree.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:56:41 AM »

I believe, because, despite what your post claims, there is not overwhelming evidence against my belief. You seem to claim to have evidence that God definitely does not exist. What is that evidence?

I don't think that it can be proven either way and for me that is a reason not to believe.
There are many hypotheses that can't be proven. Why should I believe in any of them?
There seem to be two schools of thought about theism, that a deity's existence can be proven, and if that were true it would be a reason to believe, I suppose. The other is faith, a tenuous concept to say the least.
If a deity exists what purpose would such a belief have? You can be just as good being a non-believer as you can as a believer.
There are plenty of reasons not to believe, such as the problem of evil, a problem with no adequate solution in my opinion.

Fundamental misunderstanding of Christian philosophy.

All humans exist in a state of deprivation and separation from God because sin is universal.  We all lie, cheat, steal, etc.  The center of Christianity revolves around the idea of reconciliation and forgiveness, not moral virtue.    
I wasn't trying to explain Christianity. My point, was, for me, belief in a deity would not benefit me, obviously Christians can disagree with that statement. I am not opposed to religion, per se, except in so far as the definition of religion includes a belief in God (or goddess).
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »

I am not rejecting "God", but a need to believe in "God".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies