Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:30:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21
Author Topic: Israel  (Read 71723 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2008, 03:32:25 PM »

Yes, it might be relevant if Israel's military force was comparable to a rabbit and all of its neighbors comparable to wolves. Rather than the other way around being more accurate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2008, 03:38:53 PM »

Yes, it might be relevant if Israel's military force was comparable to a rabbit and all of its neighbors comparable to wolves. Rather than the other way around being more accurate.

I suppose it makes more sense in the original war for independence, back in '48; its lost its relevance now.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »

I suppose it makes more sense in the original war for independence, back in '48; its lost its relevance now.

then why bring it up now if you weren't trying to make a point?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »

Israel has nuclear weapon, so a better analogy would be an elephant attacked by many sharp-toothed rabbits.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2008, 03:56:35 PM »

I thought it had a point; turns out I was wrong.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2008, 05:13:13 PM »

Yeah, because the rabbit is owned by a guy with a gun.

Went to the mosque this morning, saw a nice little birthday party for Israel. Part of the parking lot was cordoned off with signs reading, "ISRAELI CHECKPOINT AHEAD: CAUTION". In that space, there were a bunch of Palestinian flags flying, along with a flag each from Jordan, Egypt, Pakistan and Morocco (I have no idea why the last two were there).

Not sure if this was at all relevant.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2008, 05:50:23 PM »

Went to the mosque this morning, saw a nice little birthday party for Israel. Part of the parking lot was cordoned off with signs reading, "ISRAELI CHECKPOINT AHEAD: CAUTION". In that space, there were a bunch of Palestinian flags flying, along with a flag each from Jordan, Egypt, Pakistan and Morocco (I have no idea why the last two were there).

It wasn't.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2008, 08:15:46 PM »

It wasn't.

I'm sure it has some relevance. But it'd be much more relevant to, say, Britain.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2008, 04:28:06 AM »

Not even then.

Problem with the metaphor:

1. Wolves hunt in packs whereas the surrounding Arab states were anything but united in their aims in the war of 1948 - as I have already stated in this thread, Abdullah of Jordan aimed at controlling the Palestinian segment of the partition.
2. Israel's military force was better prepared, better mobilized and better organized. The Haganah had a large reserve of Western trained and homegrown officers with military experience, an effective centralized system of command and control and in contrast to the Arab armies had short internal lines of communication enabling it to operate with greater speed and mobility.

Again I cite Avi Shlaim's 'The Debate about 1948' as my source, his conclusion on the military balance: 'In this war, as in most wars, the stronger side ultimately prevailed.'

His justification? During the unofficial stage of fighting (Dec 1947 to 14 May 1948) the Yishuv's armed forces were larger, better trained and more technically advanced. In mid May the Arab forces had between 20,000 and and 25,000 troops (regular and irregular) compared with 35,000 for the IDF not including second-line troops and by mid-July this force had expanded to 65,000, later peaking in December at 96,441 by which point its superiority ratio was nearly two to one as Arab states could not match the rate of increase.

Between May and June the IDF's greatest weakness was its inferiority in terms of firepower but this was rectified during the first truce when Israel breached a UN arms embargo to import weapons from all over Europe (particularly from Czechoslovakia) which tipped the balance in their favour.

So then does the metaphor even reflect the realities of 1948? Not really.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2008, 01:03:30 PM »

We sem to have many topics about Israel, so why not use the ready-made one?

Flame on.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2008, 01:05:37 PM »

The answer is easy, stopping helping Israel and don't stop Iran from fighting them
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2008, 01:24:05 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2008, 07:13:37 PM by South Park Conservative »

Setting aside the non-interventionism argument, my sympathies are still with the Palestinians, since they merely want to be an independent state, and it is nonsensical for Arabs to be forced under the jurisdiction of a Jewish state. Therefore, I rank the U.S.'s options below in order of most rational to least rational:
1) Stay out of the whole conflict
2) Give aid to the Palestinians
3) Give aid to the Israelis
4) Give aid to both sides

Currently, U.S. policy is option #4.

Also, I find it funny that both sides invoke God's promise as a justification for their ownership of Palestine. My leftist science teacher was wondering when God because a real estate broker. Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2008, 01:29:19 PM »

Also, I find it funny that both sides invoke God's promise as a justification for their ownership of Palestine. My leftist science teacher wondering when God because a real estate broker. Tongue

OMG SPC ACTUALLY MAKES A REALLY GOOD AND VALID POINT!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2008, 02:27:49 PM »

Also, I find it funny that both sides invoke God's promise as a justification for their ownership of Palestine. My leftist science teacher wondering when God because a real estate broker. Tongue

He would have if the second sentence had actually made any sense.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2008, 03:52:01 PM »

The answer is easy, stopping helping Israel and don't stop Iran from fighting them
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2008, 05:48:14 PM »

Who gives a about grammar?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: June 15, 2008, 08:04:32 PM »

I, the resident grammar Nazi of this forum, do.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #142 on: June 15, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »

Subtle.  I like it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2008, 09:09:59 AM »

Most people who take others and want to be taken seriously.  You could hardly have made a "really good and valid point" if people have to decipher its fractured syntax first.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »

Why the sudden silence in here?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »

Because it seems like every thread in this board ends up being a discussion of Israel.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2008, 05:34:15 PM »

Well let's keep it here then.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »

Yes, let's. This can be the receptacle for all Israeli topics.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2008, 05:49:08 PM »

I think Al deleted a thread about Zimbabwe because it ended up being another discussion about Israel.  We should try to keep everything about Israel here.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2008, 05:53:30 PM »

Israel is an overrated country and its government is super sh**tty. We should not fund their military or be a major ally as they can take care of themselves and obiously do not care about our funding to please us.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies