Who would be a smarter (electorally strategic) VP pick for Clinton? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:31:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who would be a smarter (electorally strategic) VP pick for Clinton? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would be a smarter (electorally strategic) VP pick for Clinton?
Julian Castro (lock down the west)

Steve Beshear (make the GOP fight hard for Appalachia)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Who would be a smarter (electorally strategic) VP pick for Clinton?  (Read 2327 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: May 24, 2014, 11:50:26 PM »

Gonna go against the grain and say Castro, since Beshear's too old and Castro would probably help with Hispanic voters at the margins. He's not as well-vetted right now, but if her campaign team does a good job vetting him, there's no reason he can't be VP -- a big-city mayor and HUD Secy has executive experience and probably experience appealing to urban voters that Hillary needs to turn out in places like Denver and Las Vegas.

But Castro wouldn't be the best pick; that would be someone a bit older and safer, who's from a swing state and is young to provide a contrast to Hillary's own age -- Michael Bennet, Tim Kaine, or Bob Casey, Jr., come to mind. Sherrod Brown is frequently noticed; he might be a tad too old, but he comes off a good deal younger than his age (early-to-mid-60s) so perhaps he could still work.

The era of an all-white ticket is over I think, for the Democratic Party that is. Do people have any idea of how insulting that is in this era, when already 50% of Democratic voters are non-white? I think the Kerry/Edwards ticket was the last all-white Democratic ticket we'll see in a very long time, and with that I mean for decades probably. At least for a generation or so.

The problem for that, for 2016 at least, is that there's really a dearth of possible minority candidates for the Democrats (which is a big part of why Castro keeps being brought up so often). The only black Democratic Senator is Cory Booker, who will probably be too junior in 2014 (and ran kind of an amateurish campaign for his Senate seat, to be honest); there almost certainly won't be a black Democratic Governor in 2016, and if we're talking ex-Senators and ex-Governors the field basically ends at Deval Patrick. There's only one Democratic Hispanic Senator (Bob Menendez, who's too shady to be picked) and no Democratic Hispanic Governors (I suppose unless you count Alejandro Padilla); the only recent former Governor I can think of is Bill Richardson, who is older than Hillary, has been implicated in corrupt dealings, and is known for having illegally visited North Korea; not exactly VP material.

If you go down to the House there's more choices, but candidates usually try to avoid doing that. So if Hillary really wants to pick a minority, her options are very, very limited. I don't know if we'll see another all-white, all-male Democratic ticket (or even Republican), as women in politics become more and more common, but you'll almost certainly see more all-white Democratic tickets.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies