2004: Ready for Change, Ready for Hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:05:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004: Ready for Change, Ready for Hillary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 2004: Ready for Change, Ready for Hillary  (Read 8691 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 12:38:09 AM »

A double upset in New Hampshire, a la 2008, would be amazing!
Lieberman wins New Hampshire, picks Chafee as his VP, wins election with all 50 states /s
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 02:53:28 AM »

This is an unusual TL.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »

Unusual, yes. But thoughtful and good.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »

Thanks..?

Unusual, yes. But thoughtful and good.
Thanks!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2017, 08:38:50 AM by MAINEiac4434 »

January 25, 2004. Portsmouth, New Hampshire. 7:49 AM.

"I'm not going to do it, it's a low blow." Governor Howard Dean was adamant. With just 14 hours before the final Democratic debate and 36 hours before polls closed in New Hampshire, his team was looking for something, anything to reclaim some of the momentum they lost in Iowa. Joe Trippi had been going over the next FEC donation reports someone had leaked online (they weren't supposed to be published for another week), and found something Dean could use to his advantage: Hillary Clinton was getting a ton of money from Goldman Sachs, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch and other Wall Street firms.

"This could be the boost you need!" Trippi implored.

"She's the senator from New York, of course she's getting money from people who work in New York!"

"Governor, do you want to win this race?"

"What kind of question is that–" Dean began.

"You need to get your hands dirty, Governor, or we're gonna be left in the dust."

"I don't want to win tearing down other Democrats. Hillary isn't the enemy."

"She is right now!" Trippi yelled.

"No. No she isn't. I need to get back to debate prep, Joe."

"Fine." Trippi stormed off. Someone had to stop Hillary. He picked up the phone and called his old friend Gary Jelinek. Dennis Kucinich's campaign manager.

January 25, 2004. Concord, New Hampshire. 11:09 AM.

Trippi was always surprised when he saw Kucinich in person. He was a tiny man, less than 5'6". He was in position to be the liberal alternative to Kerry then Hillary before Dean sucked all the left-wing air out of the room. Still, Kucinich persisted, running on an overtly left-wing platform that would be wholly unpalatable to the country at large.

"You want us to hit Hillary on Goldman Sachs?" Jelinek said as Kucinich poured over the documents.

"Yes."

"Why not give these to the Governor."

"You think I didn't already try that? He said it was a low-blow and wouldn't do it."

"Why give it to us?" Kucinich said, looking up for the documents.

"Who else am I gonna give it to, Gephardt? Lieberman?"

Kucinich stood up. "Thank you for this, Joe. We don't forget our friends. And the way things are going...you're going to need a new job soon."
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2017, 08:28:04 AM »

Nice! Love the intrigue.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »

January 26, 2004. Manchester, New Hampshire. 9:00 PM.

"Good evening and welcome to the final Democratic presidential debate. In less than 24 hours the polls of New Hampshire will close, and we'll know what New Hampshire has in store for the country. Will it be another victory for Hillary Clinton, or an upset for the ages? Tonight will go a long way into deciding that. And now it's time for the candidates: Senator from New York, Hillary Clinton! Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean! Congressman from Missouri and Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt! Senator from North Carolina John Edwards! Senator from Connecticut Joe Lieberman! And Congressman from Ohio Dennis Kucinich."

Clinton: "We will regulate the banks. This issue is of vital importance to me. We need to bring back Glass-Steagall, to keep banks in check, we will regulate Wall Street, we will regulate the mortgage industry. Pretty much everything President Bush has done I'll undo."

Kucinich: "You know, it's easy to stand up here and say that, Senator, but the proof is in the pudding. Goldman Sachs, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, they're bankrolling your campaign. And we know your husband deregulated the banks too, don't forget. Fool me once, shame on you..."

Clinton: "Can I respond to that, briefly? Okay, first of all, Congressman, my husband and I are different people. We don't agree on everything. And second of all, Congressman, I don't know where you're getting your facts, but firms don't donate money, people who work at them do. And maybe the reason those people who work at this firms - Manhattan firms, mind you - donate to me because of 9/11–"

Kucinich: "Do not invoke 9/11 for your bribes! That's low, senator–"

Dean: "Dennis, you interrupted her, let her finish before jumping down her throat!"

Clinton: "Can I finish? Thank you. And thank you, Governor. As I was saying, in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, many companies based in Manhattan wanted to move out of New York City, to rural areas upstate or in Pennsylvania or Connecticut, so they wouldn't lose their data, their paperwork and, most importantly, their people in another terrorist attack. Many of these workers came to me and said 'I don't want to uproot my family. Help keep my company here in New York. And I did my best. And none of them moved. So yes, sometimes, people from those firms give me money. And I think most of them like me in spite of my policies, not because of them, because they know I'll fight to keep their jobs - and everyone's jobs - right where they belong."

Moderator: "Congressman Kucinich do you have a response?"

Kucinich: "No, I have no response, thank you."

January 26, 2004. Manchester, New Hampshire. 10:30 PM.

"This concludes tonight's Democratic presidential debate. New Hampshire, the choice is up to you. Have a good evening."

As Hillary Clinton shook hands with her opponents, Dennis Kucinich sheepishly walked up to her.

"Should I just drop out now?" He joked. She looked him dead in the eye.

"No, but after you get 2% tomorrow you should."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2017, 05:12:42 PM »
« Edited: March 20, 2017, 04:42:01 PM by MAINEiac4434 »

9:03 PM

"Polls have closed in New Hampshire, and soon we'll find out if Lincoln Chafee and Howard Dean have pulled off upsets over the favorites of their party. We already have some results, first for the Republicans:

1% of Precincts Reporting
TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Lincoln Chafee - 54.3% - 467
George W. Bush - 44.7% - 393

"As you can see, the early results are favoring Senator Chafee. George H.W. Bush, the president's father, famously had a poor showing here in New Hampshire which may have doomed his chances in November. Is history repeating itself? For the Democrats:

1% of Precincts Reporting
TOO EARLY TO CALL
Hillary Clinton - 51.2% - 689
Howard Dean - 16.8 - 227
John Edwards - 13.8 - 186
Dick Gephardt - 6.9 - 94
Dennis Kucinich - 5.5 - 75
Joe Lieberam - 5.5 - 74

"As you can see, New Hampshire Deomcrats seem to be much more excited about their race than New Hampshire Republicans, with early precincts showing a huge number of votes. Clinton maintains a huge lead over her rivals, but it's still early."

10:15 PM

"Chafee has maintained his lead over Bush with 30% of precincts reporting. Is an upset on the cards here tonight - something that will throw a major wrench into President Bush's reelection plans. Since the modern primary system was instituted in the 70s, no incumbent President has lost a primary and gone on to win election in November."

31% of Precincts Reporting
TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Lincoln Chafee - 52.8% - 15,689
George W. Bush - 48.2% - 13,989

"For the Democrats, it appears Clinton is in the strongest position although in the last hour Dean has surged back...Edwards seems to be holding strong at third while Gephardt, Lieberman and Kucinich pick up the scraps."

31% of Precincts Reporting
TOO EARLY TO CALL
Hillary Clinton - 39.4% - 19,674
Howard Dean - 28.5% - 14,245
John Edwards -  18.1% - 9,045
Dick Gephardt - 8.7% - 4,371
Joe Lieberman - 2.5% - 1,289
Dennis Kucinich - 2.5% - 1,283

"As you can see, Democratic turnout remains much, much higher than Republican turnout...this may be because of Republicans staying home due to disliking both President Bush and Senator Chafee, or thinking that President Bush - who had a large lead in New Hampshire in the last poll - was safe. As for Hillary Clinton, she was aiming for a much bigger margin, and for over 50 percent of the vote...did Dennis Kucinich's attack on her last night cause damage? It would appear so, but Kucinich himself is languishing in last place."

10:56 PM

"As we approach the 11:00 hour, we still can't really tell you anything; Lincoln Chafee maintains a small lead over President Bush as we tick over 50% of the vote in, but Bush is well within striking distance. Hillary Clinton also has a solid lead over her nearest rival Howard Dean, but will be disappointed by the fact she likely will not receive 50% of the vote. As it stands:

50% of Precincts Reporting
TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Lincoln Chafee - 51.1% - 28,721
George W. Bush - 48.9% - 26,403

50% of Precincts Reporting
TOO EARLY TO CALL
Hillary Clinton - 37.6% - 34,640
Howard Dean - 31.2% - 28,729
John Edwards - 16.4% - 15,097
Dick Gephardt - 8.5% - 7,834
Dennis Kucinich - 3.1% - 2,901
Joe Lieberman - 3.1% - 2,889

"This has to be a huge disappointment for Hillary Clinton. She expected to blow away the competition in New Hampshire, and put herself forward as the Democratic candidate tonight. Dick Gephardt must also be feeling a sting, he was supposed to have the momentum coming out of Iowa and he's languishing in fourth with less than 10% of the vote. Howard Dean's camp must be rocking, though. They're almost within striking distance of Clinton!"

11:38 PM

"We are switching our projection of the Democratic race from too early to call to too close to call. The Republican race remains too close to call, but has gotten much closer as we move into more traditionally conservative areas of the state."

62% of Precincts Reporting
TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Lincoln Chafee - 50.1% -  45,691
George W. Bush - 49.9% - 44,038

62% of Precincts Reporting
TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Hillary Clinton - 35.5% - 51,421
Howard Dean - 33.7% - 48,764
John Edwards - 16.4% - 23,689
Dick Gephardt - 8.0% - 11,567
Joe Lieberman - 3.1% - 4,562
Dennis Kucinich - 3.1% - 4,561

12:24 AM

As we have over 85% of the precincts reporting, we can now make a major projection:

HILLARY CLINTON HAS WON THE NEW HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY

"This is Clinton's second win out of two in the primary season, though it's certainly not as big a win as she would've liked. The likely runner up, Howard Dean, will now carry momentum forward into Nevada and South Carolina."

87% of Precincts Reporting
✔ Hillary Clinton - 35.8% - 69,853
Howard Dean - 31.8% - 61,976
John Edwards - - 34,324
Dick Gephardt - - 18,590
Joe Lieberman - - 5,045
Dennis Kucinich - - 4,998

Meanwhile, the Republican race is still too close to call, though Chafee remains in front as he has all night:

87% of Precincts Reporting
TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Lincoln Chafee - 50.6% - 63,489
George W. Bush - 49.4% - 61,976

"Bush was hoping for another win, but time is running out. He's still within striking distance but this is not what he wanted from New Hampshire."

12:45 AM

"Clinton is speaking to her supporters now, let's listen in:"

"Thank you New Hampshire! With a result this close, each and every one of you is responsible for this victory tonight. You worked hard, and because of you we've won two out of two!"

"Tonight, we've proven that we're the strongest campaign to take on the Republicans in November. And when our agenda, of universal healthcare, comprehensive immigration reform and paid family leave is put forward next year, we'll prove that the Democratic Party is and always will be the party of the people!"

"We're going to break into Senator Clinton's speech because we have a major announcement..."
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2017, 08:39:54 PM »

LINCOLN CHAFEE HAS WON THE NEW HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY

"Chafee has pulled off the miracle! He becomes the first primary challenger of an incumbent president to win a contest since Ted Kennedy in 1980. A major defeat for President Bush and his agenda, as he has been repudiated by the New Hampshire electorate, a lot like his father was in 1992. But George H.W. Bush won New Hampshire, even if Pat Buchanan took a decent chunk of the vote. History has repeated itself as farce for the Bush family.

An incredible achievement by Senator Chafee, one that will probably allow him to form part of the Republican Party's platform at the convention in New York City this summer."

98% of Precincts Reporting:
✔ Lincoln Chafee - 51.2% - 87,103
George W. Bush - 48.8% - 82,872

For the Democrats:

98% of Precincts Reporting:
✔ Hillary Clinton - 34.2% - 99,993
Howard Dean - 30.7% - 90,037
John Edwards - 19.9% - 58,224
Dick Gephardt - 10.2% - 29,903
Joe Lieberman - 2.4% - 7,007
Dennis Kucinich - 2.4% - 7,003
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 01:45:44 PM »

January 28, 2004. Portsmouth, New Hampshire. 12:35 AM.

Karl Rove sat next to President Bush in their Portsmouth headquarters. The President cracked jokes, but no one was really in the mood to laugh. Granted, it was New England. The Bushes, despite their Maine and Connecticut roots, just weren't popular here. Granted, they were facing a New Englander. But Chafee was a liberal. And this was a Republican Primary.

Karl watched the President, one of his best freinds, take the stage on TV.

"First and foremost I think we should congratulate Lincoln Chafee on a fantastic victory here in New Hampshire..." each word like a knife through his heart. For a moment, Karl didn't know who scared him more: Hillary Clinton or Lincoln Chafee.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 09:23:09 PM »

Somewhere between Coös County, New Hampshire and Burlington, Vermont. January 28, 2004. 3:34 AM.

Howard Dean was exhausted, but elated. Sure, he didn't win a primary in his back yard. But every expected another Hillary blow out. He had some momentum now. After Iowa, he was legitimately wondering if a poor result in New Hampshire would mean the end.

Now he knew he could battle on until at least Super Tuesday.

The party at his Manchester headquarters has been raucous, with his young staff and volunteers popping champagne corks and blasting music. It resembled a nightclub more than a campaign office. One song on repeat was "I Will Survive", a song that came out before some of those kids were even born.

He still knew he was a longshot and that Hillary was still the favorite. But he thought he was putting himself in the best position to be Vice President. He spotted someone wearing a tee shirt that said HILLARY & HOWARD 2004 in big bold letters. The guy pulled Dean aside and Dean posed for pictures with a huge grin on his face. If all goes to plan, it'd be a reality soon enough, with Hillary carrying the banner — and his platform.

He pulled up to his Burlington headquarters, and burst through the door. What he saw there surprised him.

Instead of the raucous celebrations like in Manchester, his Burlington staff were huddled around a computer monitor. On it, a Politico headline:

BREAKING: DEAN PHOTOGRAPHED NEXT TO "HILLARY & HOWARD" T-SHIRT
Confirmation that former Vermont Gov will drop out after New Hampshire defeat?

Dean felt himself deflate.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »

January 29, 2004. Cleveland, Ohio. 3:45 PM.

Dennis Kucinich's campaign office was deserted. His threadbare New Hampshire campaign packed up their Concord headquarters while the votes were still being counted, and they were on a plane back to Cleveland while Hillary was on the stage.

What next? He paced the floor of his office. He could drop out. Endorse Howard, maybe. But he was far too centrist on fiscal issues. Keep fighting? Donations had dried up. He'd have to dig into his congressional reelection fund...or his private bank accounts.

Where did he go wrong? Democrats hated the war, they wanted the tax increases and reforms he proposed. He should be the perfect candidate for Democrats. But they wanted a Wall Street warmonger or someone slightly to the right of Bush himself on economics.

He realized something in that moment. Something that should've been blindingly clear for him for years.

He buzzed his secretary. "Get me Ralph Nader's number."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »

Another sticked TL.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »

I'd like to thank the academy...
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 05:20:26 PM »

January 29, 2004. Webster Groves, Missouri. 11:45 AM

"I'm so proud of the campaign we've put together. Though a victory wasn't in the cards, we can all look back at the issues we've brought forward with pride."

Gephardt Calls It Quits
By Online Journalist

Despite a strong showing in the Iowa caucuses, Democratic minority leader Congressman Dick Gephardt has failed to improve in the New Hampshire primary. The Missouri Democrat received only 3.2% of the vote and one delegate.

“This campaign has been the time of my life,” Gephardt said to his New Hampshire supporters, “but it's come to an end.”

Gephardt put almost all of his rather sparse resources into the Iowa caucuses, hoping a good result would give him momentum. He came in second, but received only 14% of the vote, 38 points behind Clinton.

St. Louis, Missouri. February 1, 2004. 5:45 PM.
"My friends, if you give me the opportunity to serve you as your Democratic nominee, I will work my heart out to give you the government you deserve!"

Mini Tuesday was coming. Missouri, Arizona, Delaware, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina. A huge delegate haul. Dean's photo gaffe had taken all the attention off his narrow defeat in New Hampshire, allowing Hillary to remain the frontrunner. Dean had looked less jovial on the campaign trail in Oklahoma. Kucinich was nowhere to be found. Edwards was drawing huge crowds, though. Gephardt was gone. If Dean couldn't get a win, he was toast. But if Edwards could steal South Carolina...it'd be a whole new ballgame for the Democrats.

Hillary smiled to herself. She knew if she ran up her margins in states other than South Carolina, she'd basically have the nomination in hand. And the President was floundering next to Lincoln Chafee.

Things could definitely be worse.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »

February 1, 2004. Cleveland, Ohio. 7:45 PM

"Tonight, I am ending my campaign for the Democratic Party's nomination for President of the United States...and I am beginning my campaign for the Green Party's nomination for President of the United States! The two party duopoly has deformed and retarded our democracy. Both presumptive nominees-Mr. Bush and Mrs. Clinton-supported the Iraq War, which is a war crime. They should be in The Hague! Mrs. Clinton is bought by Wall Street and Mr. Bush by the military industrial complex! We need a third choice, and I will be that third choice!"

February 1, 2004. Washington, D.C. 8:20 PM

A shout went up from the West Wing when the news broke. Kucinich entering the race as a Green. This was the first break the Bush/Cheney 04 campaign had gotten in a long, long time. Even after losing New Hampshire, Bush was still in the driver's seat for the GOP's nomination. Kucinich was gonna leak away activist liberal votes from Hillary...and Kucinich was from Ohio.

February 2, 2004. Burlington, Vermont. 9:32 AM

"And we're joined now by Representative Bernie Sanders, the socialist congressman from Vermont. Representative Sanders, what is your take on Kucinich entering the presidential race as a Green.

"Look, I respect Dennis Kucinich. He's a good friend and colleague and a fine Congressman. That being said, I have always supported the Democratic Party's nominee for president, and that will not change. The left gets nothing done by being divided. Congressman Kucinich is only going to divide the left and subtract from the vote totals of the Democratic nominee, whoever that may be. We all saw what happened to Al Gore and Ralph Nader in Florida. We do not want history repeating itself and have four more years of the disastrous Bush Administration. So no, I do not support Congressman Kucinich's decision."

"So you won't support or endorse Congressman Kucinich."

"No, I will not. I will support the Democratic nominee."
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 10:12:14 PM »

Love this!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2017, 12:07:48 AM »

February 2, 2004. Charleston, South Carolina. 6:38 PM.

Hillary paced backstage, waiting for him to arrive. The thought of needing him made her recoil in disgust. She at least drew some pleasure from knowing that he felt the same way.

But with Kucinich defecting (bastard!), she needed to put the primary to bed. Tomorrow, with a clean sweep of the "Mini Tuesday" states, she basically would have. Lieberman and Edwards would have to drop out, and Dean would probably strongly consider it.

Huma walked in. "He's here."

Hillary sighed. She got up to greet the guest of honor.

She smiled at him thinly, and he at her. His baritone, meandering voice carried.

"Senator Clinton, how are you?"

"Vice President Gore, good to see you."

February 2, 2004. Charleston, South Carolina. 7:03 PM.

"Vice President Gore is endorsing Senator Hillary Clinton in South Carolina right now, let's listen in."

"...she's tough. I know she's tough, I worked with her for eight years! I remember the jokes from the Clinton Administration...the first Clinton Administration (cheering)...that she was the real Vice President. But, can you blame Bill? When the smartest person in the West Wing is your wife, can you blame him? And she is the smartest person I've ever met. And her service in the senate should prove to you how smart she is, how progressive she is.

"but there's another reason I'm here. I'm sure you all remember...Florida four years ago (audience member shouts: 'You won!', crowd loudly cheers in response)...well...anyway, you all remember it. And now there's another candidate looking to split the left and give George Bush four more years (booing). But we can't let that happen! Tomorrow, if you vote for Hillary Clinton, she can leave the primary behind and take the fight directly to George Bush, and begin crafting a party platform that will move our country forward.

"Take it from me: now isn't the time for a protest vote. Tell your friends who may be considering casting their ballot for a third party candidate: take a look at Hillary's platform. She tackles climate change, she tackles the war, she tackles poverty, she tackles education, she tackles civil rights. She is the most progressive candidate running, and that's including the third party candidates!

"There is no one better equipped to become President. No one. Not me four years ago, not Bill in 1992, and no one in the primary on either side, as equipped as Hillary Clinton. Not only should she become president, but she must become president...to help our country reach its full potential, to make America great again!"
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »

Yes. An updated!
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 04:46:19 PM »

Maineiac, this is honestly one of the best TLs I've read. How I would love to see another Clinton take down another Bush.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »

Maineiac, this is honestly one of the best TLs I've read. How I would love to see another Clinton take down another Bush.
Wow, thanks Kamala! I certainly wasn't expecting that kind of praise, especially since I'm very much enjoying the American Parliament series. You're quite talented yourself.

An update will come tonight!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2017, 03:56:40 PM by MAINEiac4434 »

February 3, 2004. New York, New York. 8:00 PM.

"Good evening and welcome to tonight's coverage of the 'Mini Tuesday' states. Tonight, Democrats and Republicans will go to the polls Delaware, South Carolina, North Dakota, Missouri, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona go to the polls to decide their party's nominee for President of the United States. Can Rhode Island Senator Lincoln Chafee keep his momentum gained from his stunning upset over President George W. Bush in the New Hampshire primary? Can New York Senator Hillary Clinton tighten her grasp on the Democratic Party's nomination? Let's find out. We already have two calls to make:

George W. Bush has won South Carolina

President Bush is currently projected to receive over 80% of the vote. The vote in Missouri and Delaware's Republican Primaries is too early to call. Let's take a look at the map; states in blue are states President Bush has won, states in red are states Senator Chafee has won, states in green are voting tonight and states in gray have yet to vote:

We have our other call, for the Democrats:

Hillary Clinton has won Delaware

Let's look at the map. States Hillary Clinton have won are in blue, states voting tonight in green, and states that have yet to have their contests in gray:

Something to keep an eye on, early votes show North Carolina Senator John Edwards with a slight lead in South Carolina, with Hillary Clinton hot on his tail. Edwards was born in South Carolina, and has been spending most of his resources on the state. Right now, it looks to be paying off.

8:07 PM
Hold on, we can now call Missouri for the Democrats:

Hillary Clinton has won Missouri

It will be a blowout, with Clinton currently projected to receive more than 60% of the vote. Bill Clinton had been spending time stumping for his wife in the state, and it appears to have paid off hugely. Hillary Clinton may take every delegate from the state.  We should be able to make a call on the Republican side very soon. The map for the Democrats:

As you can see, Senator Clinton has won every contest thus far. But as more precincts report in South Carolina, John Edwards maintains his lead. We're watching South Carolina very closely tonight. If John Edwards can win there, he can usurp Howard Dean as the biggest challenger to Senator Clinton. Dean, it should be noted, is currently second in both Delaware and Missouri, but Edwards is biting at his heels.

8:10 PM

We can now call Missouri for the GOP. President Bush will carry the state:

George W. Bush has won Missouri, though Lincoln Chafee will take a decent chunk of the vote.

The map for the Republicans:

8:15
Many of you are wondering how Joe Lieberman's quixotic candidacy is doing tonight and the answer probably will not surprise you: not good. He's running last in all three states we have numbers for. We are still waiting for the initial numbers from the Oklahoma caucus, however. Their caucus doors closed at 8 but we won't get any word on who won where until 9, possibly later.

8:21
With 35% of precincts reporting, let's take a look at the South Carolina numbers for the Democrats:

South Carolina Democratic Primary:
John Edwards: 36.9%
Hillary Clinton: 33.4%
Howard Dean: 19.6%
Joe Lieberman: 7.1%
Uncommitted/Others: 3.0%

8:47
We have a major call now:

Lincoln Chafee has won Delaware!

The eastern establishment is coming through for Chafee, as he picks up his second win of the primary. With 87% of precincts reporting, Chafee holds a five point lead.

Delaware Republican Primary results
Lincoln Chafee: 52.6%
George W. Bush: 47.1%
Uncommitted: 0.3%

Let's take a look at the map. Lincoln Chafee states are colored red, Bush states blue:

Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »

Go Chafee!!! Think he could carry ND or is that a long shot??? Looks like an Edqards win in SC and OK though, does Dean drop out if he doesn't carry anything? Great TL!!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2017, 03:50:08 PM »

Go Chafee!!! Think he could carry ND or is that a long shot??? Looks like an Edqards win in SC and OK though, does Dean drop out if he doesn't carry anything? Great TL!!
Thanks! Dean is very strongly considering dropping out if he doesn't carry anything. Lieberman' basically already dropped out.

If he does win a state, Dean will hold on until Vermont.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2017, 08:08:24 PM »

Hillary '04!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies