Why is no-fault divorce a settled issue in every state?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:10:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is no-fault divorce a settled issue in every state?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is no-fault divorce a settled issue in every state?  (Read 499 times)
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2024, 04:23:31 PM »

No-fault divorce was famously made law in California under Ronald Reagan. From there, it spread to all fifty states until New York finally passed it in 2010.

I'm not here to debate its merits - that goes in Individual Politics. What I am asking is: how did no-fault divorce gather enough steam to become law in every state, and stay that way? You would imagine that, at the very least, the more conservative Deep South states, and maybe Utah, would be holdouts - but all of them have fallen in line, it's rarely under attack (and routinely defended as a guarantor of women's rights when it is), and the only serious attempt I've seen at reversing it came out of a cranky Oklahoman legislator whose idea was left to rot.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 05:55:10 PM »

Because one of the few things we can collectively agree on is that marriage can be a mistake.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 10:10:19 PM »

Conservatives aren't against it because it actually affects their lives and would be a freedom taken away from them.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 12:16:24 AM »

Because most people are at least a little bit normal.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 12:36:15 AM »

Can you think of a reason to oppose no-fault divorce? If not, there's your answer.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 12:57:05 AM »

there's a handful of state legislators who try to make it an issue again (I remember one in OK) but it's one of those things that outside of hyper-religious nuts very few people support. Even in the bible belt there's plenty of divorces.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 05:51:33 AM »

Proving fault is a difficult thing in a divorce case, especially when, in many cases, there are prior bad acts to go around on both sides.

The, too, there is the bias of judges.  Prior to no-fault divorce, my mother divorced my stepfather.  The reasons she had were not overwhelming, and he did not want a divorce (although he went along with it in the end).  She hired a lawyer and filed in the neighboring county.  The lawyer (the wife of a well-connected Republican State Senator) was able to shop for a judge and got the case before the moderate Jewish Judge instead of the conservative Catholic Judge.

This conservative Catholic Judge had recently presided over a divorce action brought by a woman who had been in an abusive situation for 20 years.  The Judge asked the woman why she hadn't filed before this.  In denying the decree, the Judge said:  "If you can stand this man for 20 years, you can stand him for the rest of your life."  This was the early 1970s. 

I don't believe that people ought to get divorced for frivolous reasons, but I don't believe people ought to have to stage incidents in sleazy motels to provide "evidence" of grounds for divorce.  We have no-fault divorce because there are people in marriages who (A) have made mistakes and (B) are legitimately unhappy because one party wasn't who they said they were (not to mention vicious acts of abuse that merit criminal justice intervention).
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 07:28:32 AM »

Can you think of a reason to oppose no-fault divorce? If not, there's your answer.
I can think of a couple of reasons

Mostly gold diggers taking advantage of older men
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 12:49:03 PM »

Because even in Louisiana where people can enter a covenant marriage only like 2% of people do so?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 01:27:42 PM »

a gold digger's end goal is divorce and 50%, thankfully, that's getting harder to do every year.  Divorce still strongly (and unfairly) favors the mother in most places, but the ex-wife has lost a lot of her courtroom advantages in the last several decades.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2024, 01:39:32 PM »

a gold digger's end goal is divorce and 50%, thankfully, that's getting harder to do every year.  Divorce still strongly (and unfairly) favors the mother in most places, but the ex-wife has lost a lot of her courtroom advantages in the last several decades.
How so?

And when I bring up the issue in other threads, a lot of atlas users get uppity
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2024, 02:02:02 PM »

A legislative history of the debates on no-fault divorce in State Legislatures would be a fascinating study.  I haven't found one.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2024, 06:20:29 PM »

Because banning it is a cartoonishly unpopular position.

https://x.com/usa_polling/status/1785915952346870087
Support for Banning Pregnant Women From Divorcing Their Spouse:

Oppose: 87%
Support: 4%

Change Research / Apr 22, 2024 / n=2745
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2024, 06:29:59 PM »

Because the government shouldn't be in the business of deciding whether you marry or divorce a certain person.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2024, 08:20:53 PM »

Increased risk of someone with a major substance abuse problem having joint or even primary custody of your kids?

Increased risk of someone who cheated on you when you were faithful to them taking most of your life savings and/or receiving years of alimony? 

No fault divorce has the benefit of keeping things simple, lowering legal expenses, and particularly for couples without children, allowing them to move on quickly.  At the end of the day, I think the best thing would be to no-fault as the default assumption but also make fault-oriented prenups (e.g. infidelity clauses) enforceable if people choose to enter into them. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies