If a Canadian Federal election was held now (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:46:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If a Canadian Federal election was held now (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If a Canadian Federal election was held now  (Read 3791 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: April 15, 2005, 11:25:42 PM »

Wait, wait... Conservatives winning seats in Quebec?

Scary thought. Wink
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 12:10:54 AM »

Scary. Oh and Gabu, don't worry. Our seat is gerrymandered for the Conservatives anyway. Let me tell you a secret: the combined NDP+Green vote in our riding was greater than Gary Lunn's vote. That's pathetic.

Yeah, I know.  He would've lost too if it weren't for those damn Gulf Islands.  Oh well.

And I'd just have to move down the street to get into Victoria, too.  So close. Sad
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 04:24:54 AM »

Scary. Oh and Gabu, don't worry. Our seat is gerrymandered for the Conservatives anyway. Let me tell you a secret: the combined NDP+Green vote in our riding was greater than Gary Lunn's vote. That's pathetic.

Yeah, I know.  He would've lost too if it weren't for those damn Gulf Islands.  Oh well.

And I'd just have to move down the street to get into Victoria, too.  So close. Sad
Mulroney won the Gordon Head wards and Lewis (the Green) did well on the Gulf Islands. I guess Lunn gets his support from those hicks on the Peninsula. And people like my mom.

Oh, really?  I heard that Mulroney was leading until the Gulf Islands came in, during which point Lunn went into the lead.

Whatever the case, Mulroney won the place that I come from, so that's at least something for me. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 09:41:40 PM »

So...what option is more likely?

A Conservative minority government?

A Liberal-NDP coalition?

Or something odd with the BQ?

If the election was right now and the Conservatives had absolutely nothing to do with the election being called, then a Conservative minority would be likely.

However, around 47% of Canadians don't want an election purely because of this scandal, so it would be a very dangerous thing to do for the Conservatives to force an election.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 12:05:09 AM »

Are you guys ever going to come to your senses and vote conservative.

No, we will never, ever, ever vote Conserva- oh, wait, we had a Conservative minority in 1979 and two terms of a Conservative majority government from 1984 to 1993.

Is it even possible for there ever to be a conservative government  any time in the next 100 years.

Recent polls indicate that a Conservative minority is a real possibility, so... check back with us in the end of 2005.

If I lived in Canada I would be upset that there were not competetive elections.

The Conservatives won enough seats in the last election to let the Liberals only have a minority government, which is a good accomplishment if you consider that we just had three terms of Liberal majorities.  If you don't think our elections are competetive, I don't know what to tell you.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 12:21:40 AM »

Yep. Possible. But with a leader like Harper they have zero chance at winning a majority at this point.

The main problem with Harper is that nothing he ever does really appeals to anyone who wasn't already voting Conservative.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 12:27:22 AM »

Canadians should be absolutely outraged at the Liberal government and the Liberal Party of Canada, and should send them packing big time. 

As it turns out, the Liberals have been wallowing in squalor and scandal since 1993.  Chretien is a disgrace.  Martin is a pompous windbag who distorts and twists the truth at every turn.

I hope an election is held as soon as possible, and that Canadians will have the sense to elect a Conservative government, and put Harper in charge to clean up this mess.

I believe the Conservatives will win the election.  Canadians have to root out the cause of this scandal and corruption, and that root cause is the Liberal Party of Canada. 

Don't you think we should at least wait until testimony at the Gomery Inquiry is complete?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies