California raises smoking age to 21 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:14:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California raises smoking age to 21 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California raises smoking age to 21  (Read 8604 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 02, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »

The creeping infantilization of American adults continues.
That assumes that 18 to 20 year olds should be considered full adults. Personally, I don't think they should be, tho to be honest, I didn't think so when I was that age.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 02:06:26 PM »

I think it would have been more effective to pass a law that bans people from suing tobacco companies for getting lung cancer, even though said people knew that smoking was unhealthy.

In addition to that, a law that bars smokers from qualifying for state funded health benefits would have been a good choice as well.
Because most 18 to 20 year olds would be worrying about such things? Time for to change to an L-CA avatar if you believe that. Even most full adults wouldn't think along such lines, let alone adolescents.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »

The creeping infantilization of American adults continues.
That assumes that 18 to 20 year olds should be considered full adults. Personally, I don't think they should be, tho to be honest, I didn't think so when I was that age.

They either are full adults who can vote, be drafted into the army, enter into contracts and be tried as adults or they are children.  There should be no such thing as a partial adult who can vote and be drafted but can't drink or smoke.  The age of majority should be uniform.

Honestly, raising the military service and voting ages to 21 might make a lot of sense. The age should be uniform, though.
Or if we want to Biblical Wink age 20, tho the fact it's a nice round number is a better reason to choose 20 than because it's used in the Bible. That said, I don't see the problem with giving older adolescents some but not all of the rights and responsibilities of adults.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies