The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 09:17:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Sam Spade Memorial Good Post Gallery  (Read 92407 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« on: December 19, 2015, 04:47:58 PM »

RFayette, you're honestly scaring me. A lot of these are sounding like the same justifications Bushie used for years to not get his life back together. I'm probably not be the best person to try to get into this argument due to both my declining faith/low Church attendance/Catholicism as well as my lack of scientific credentials, but this is absurd! I mean, I know I've been in at least one situation where someone probably more versed in biology than myself tried to give me some scientific reason to be pro-choice and I ignored them, but this is honestly a terrifying way of responding here. As well, I myself have a hard time imagining all of the logical extensions of evolution. Nevertheless, if you're going to examine the dominant scientific framework of life's development on earth in a critical manner, the Bible deserves the same scrutiny. The Good Book is still a historical document--both as a record of events of the past as well as a product of those and other events.

I'm looking at the list of most recent posts that's below the "type a response window" right now. You refer to your pastor as a great man of God. Who is he? What are his academic and professional credentials? It seems you're also utilizing circular logic here: I can't trust bedstuy's beliefs on the Bible (though, really, whose beliefs can you trust on anything!?) because he is a non-believer, and the Bible says that non-believers can't be trusted.

Also, please never cite a chick tract. I don't care if you were looking at one out of curiosity or amusement or whatever, but the very fact that such a link would be available is concerning.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 03:37:19 PM »

No and I think it's a sign of our society sticking up its finger to God, saying "We don't like your sovereignty!  We don't like your rules!  We want to be autonomous creatures."  Such will never end well, and the judgment of God will rain down upon the West for this, along with many other sins associated with "modernity."  But I think of same-sex marriage as just the latest in a litany of such occurrences and is more of a signal rather than the sole problem in and of itself.

As far as "theocracy" is concerned, I don't believe America should be a theocracy, but I do wish we could return to the more biblical worldview that our leaders and majority of citizens once held.  When the activist judges legalized abortion in 1973 and kicked prayer and God's word out of public schools in 1961 (in addition to the concurrent sexual revolution, feminist movement, and liberalization of divorce laws during this time period) everything seemed to have gone downhill from there.

Your ideal society is a terrible theocracy.  Your only basis for opposing SSM is your faith:  God says it's wrong because the Bible says it's wrong, and therefore, it is wrong.  No questions asked.  Never mind there is no other reason be believe that SSM is bad.  Never mind the tangible proof that it is the prohibition of SSM that results in harm to members of society.  Societies with the oppressive policies you advocate make the lives of gays and lesbians hell on earth (to which you'll probably reply, 'wait 'till they get to real hell!').  Adult policy makers who promote bigoted policies play a large role in the anti-gay bullying of youth, and thus, a high rate of suicide.

Why should youngsters struggling with their sexuality have to grow up knowing that they they're hated, that they're "sinners", that who they are is an "abomination"?  Why should gays live in a society that persecutes them and drives them to suicide because of your particular religious beliefs?

Anyway, I don't need to get too angry, since your viewpoint has lost out in the US.  Thank God the Supreme Court has sided with the American Constitutional right to equal protection under the law, and not with what you consider the "truth."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies