Was Constantine's Conversion Sincere?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 04:37:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Was Constantine's Conversion Sincere?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was Constantine's Conversion Sincere?  (Read 4882 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2013, 07:35:31 PM »

I was watching Dr. Dwight Nelson on 3ABN not too long ago, and he made an argument based the documents of some ancient historians that Constantine's conversion to the Christian faith was insincere and done for political expediency.  I can get into detail if you'd like, but I don't want to now.  But I thought I would pose the question to you guys: was Constantine's conversion sincere?  Discuss.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:04:26 PM »

I don't really know. Only Constantie himself knows, and he's been dead for hundreds of years.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:59:47 PM »

Probably not, since I think he gave pagan sacrifices near the end of his life.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:05:45 AM »

It was done for political reasons, and to make his wife happy. Constantine was a pragmatist. That all is my impression anyway. Somewhere I read, that he really didn't convert. He just made it clear that Christians were now part of the establishment.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:50:45 AM »

It was done for political reasons, and to make his wife happy. Constantine was a pragmatist. That all is my impression anyway. Somewhere I read, that he really didn't convert. He just made it clear that Christians were now part of the establishment.

More importantly, Constantine's mother Helena was a deeply pious Christian.

Constantine didn't officially convert to Christianity until his deathbed.  The traditional story (take it with a grain of salt) is that he didn't feel that a Christian ruler could sentence people to death and he needed to keep on with the capital punishment so he waited until after he'd ever have to execute anyone again before converting.  The biggest objection to that story is that very few other Christian rulers ever felt that their religion conflicted with the death penalty (including Constantine's sons, who were Christians who had no compunction about execution).

Either way, whether Constantine himself became Christian or not, he put Christianity on the same level as all the other faiths and in fact gave it a heavily-favored status that, over the next few decades, would leave it utterly dominant, and eventually strong enough that at the end of the 4th century Theodosius was able to ban the pagan faiths.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 04:18:34 AM »

The impact was even more immediate than that. At the time of Constantine’s conversion it was estimated that a small minority of the population of the Roman Empire were Christian and we can say than in the loosest sense of the word because there were numerous competing Christian sects. Not only did Constantine prompt the beginning of the Empire’s general edict against paganism, he was also the first Roman Emperor to specifically target unwanted Christian sects. That in turn affected early Christian thinkers like Augustine of Hippo to find ‘merit’ in using violence against heretics which they had previously argued against.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 04:42:47 AM »

It was sincerely politically motivated.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:17:05 AM »

As someone currenting writing abour religious conversion at the moment, 'sincerity' strikes me as something of a chimera here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »

As is often the way with this kind of thing, 'does it matter?' seems like a decent answer.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »

As is often the way with this kind of thing, 'does it matter?' seems like a decent answer.

Actually imho as is often the way with this kind of thing the best answer is "What does that even mean anyway?"
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 12:07:18 PM »

More importantly, Constantine's mother Helena was a deeply pious Christian.

Constantine didn't officially convert to Christianity until his deathbed.  The traditional story (take it with a grain of salt) is that he didn't feel that a Christian ruler could sentence people to death and he needed to keep on with the capital punishment so he waited until after he'd ever have to execute anyone again before converting.  The biggest objection to that story is that very few other Christian rulers ever felt that their religion conflicted with the death penalty (including Constantine's sons, who were Christians who had no compunction about execution).

Either way, whether Constantine himself became Christian or not, he put Christianity on the same level as all the other faiths and in fact gave it a heavily-favored status that, over the next few decades, would leave it utterly dominant, and eventually strong enough that at the end of the 4th century Theodosius was able to ban the pagan faiths.
Many people waited to be baptized until their deathbeds, though, so that doesn't necessarily mean much.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies