MA: The Big Society Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:16:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: The Big Society Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: The Big Society Act (Debating)  (Read 992 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: TheRileyKeaton
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 09:14:36 PM »

One of the greatest threats to our national and regional greatness is the decline of civil society. As government expands and creates massive new programs, there is a crowd out affect that hurts private charity and civil society. The Left has long had an interest in destroying what James Madison called "mediating institutions." These institutions are the organic, voluntary organizations that exist between the individual and the state.

This bill address the larger civil society. It is designed to direct more financial capital and more human capital into the civil sector. These measures will allow for civil society to flourish in the wake of my budget's dramatic reduction in the size of government.

This bill is also about building generations of patriots and community servants. This will ideally breed a lifelong devotion to helping others in every Mideast citizen. The community service an work experience are flexible but rigorous. This is crucial to creating our next generation of patriots.

Note: I will soon have legislation dealing with the most fundamental unit of the civil society, the family. This bill is about the broader civil sector.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »

What is the community and regional budget?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:12:19 AM »

That should read:

Community and Regional Development Budget

My bad.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 02:14:29 PM »

I can support certain clauses of the bill, such as clause 2, but I consider the idea of a "Leadership Curriculum", which mandates community service or work experience, too intrusive. I think it's great when young people do community service and gain valuable work experience, but making it a legal requirement goes too far in my opinion.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »

I can support certain clauses of the bill, such as clause 2, but I consider the idea of a "Leadership Curriculum", which mandates community service or work experience, too intrusive. I think it's great when young people do community service and gain valuable work experience, but making it a legal requirement goes too far in my opinion.

I'm glad you support the financial assistance for the civil sector.

The purpose of education is to create good citizens and to help prepare students for the rest of their lives. The Leadership Curriculum does both of those things by providing students an opportunity to earn references for future job applications and also teaching a valuable lesson on public service. We're building a generation of incredible citizens, which will undoubtedly be the envy of the nation. The benefits to students are enormous. The benefits to the region are even greater.

I could support, now that I think of it, an exemption from the Leadership Curriculum for private schools. However, schools which are publicly funded should abide by the Leadership Curriculum.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 02:52:34 PM »

I like this a lot.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 01:06:08 AM »

I can't support this bill as a whole. I basically agree with ZuWo's sentiments. I volunteer at a local food bank from time to time, and community service is valuable, but having government mandating this for students is a rather intrusive measure. If this was instead written to incentivize schools for offering community service options, then that would be worth looking at.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »

I can't support this bill as a whole. I basically agree with ZuWo's sentiments. I volunteer at a local food bank from time to time, and community service is valuable, but having government mandating this for students is a rather intrusive measure. If this was instead written to incentivize schools for offering community service options, then that would be worth looking at.

I volunteer as a camp counselor for impoverished 7-12 year olds and let me just say that so much is gained from it that makes me a better citizen and person than a traditional classroom setting.

The government defines the curriculum on every subject matter. This isn't about government involving itself in the private sector or intruding where it isn't already. It's making education more worthwhile.

It's furthering the purpose of education. To create good citizens and prepare people for life after school. This addition to the school curriculum isn't a new regulation, it's a subject in school that is very beneficial to students.

Community service has also been demonstrated to build work ethic and increase competence in other content areas. Community service centers people and gives them perspective. It helps kids achieve on all fronts and makes our educational dollars more valuable across the board.

We aren't regulating anyone. We're improving our public education system, for free. It increases the effectiveness of our schools in every area and better prepares students for the real world.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 01:00:31 AM »

The language on the charitable tax benefit could be a bit more clear.  If someone gives $1000 to charity, are their taxes reduced by $350?  In that case it is actually a tax credit, not a deduction.  Or is it a deduction where the taxable income is reduced by $350, so that if there is a 5% tax it would be a deduction of $17.50?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 01:04:44 AM »

The language on the charitable tax benefit could be a bit more clear.  If someone gives $1000 to charity, are their taxes reduced by $350?  In that case it is actually a tax credit, not a deduction.  Or is it a deduction where the taxable income is reduced by $350, so that if there is a 5% tax it would be a deduction of $17.50?

The real world deduction is a deduction,  so it would look like the latter. However, I would definitely be open to the idea of turning it into a credit. I made it a deduction in order to guarantee fiscal responsibility.

The two options for expanding the charitable tax benefit are:

1. Fully tax deductible.
2. Turn it into a credit.

What would the Assembly prefer?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »

I had an idea for the amendment:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This makes general contributions to charities 80% tax deductible. This functions as a deduction of taxable income. A credit is established for giving to charitable trusts. The trust funds are used to fund charitable organizations and projects. The credit would reduce the tax burden of the contributor.

Essentially, this is doing as shua suggested and clarifying the part about a deduction vs. credit. It also creates a new means of capitalizing these non-profits.

There is also a circumstantial reason to pass this bill. With the large reduction in government spending, we are going to need to accelerate the expansion of civil society. This bill provides financial and human capital to civil society into to do just that. Growing society to compensate for a shrinking government is good policy.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »

Why do we need a deduction and a credit?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 10:08:24 PM »

The deduction is for contributions to charities. The credit is for contributions to charitable trusts. Trusts are a funding mechanism for charities. We're guaranteeing long-term capitalization for the civil sector.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 12:03:31 AM »

The deduction is for contributions to charities. The credit is for contributions to charitable trusts. Trusts are a funding mechanism for charities. We're guaranteeing long-term capitalization for the civil sector.

I understand the difference between charities and charitable trusts, but why are we having one as a credit and one as a deduction?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 11:18:34 PM »

Do I need to reintroduce this?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 11:31:07 PM »

Yes. We'll need to start over with the new session.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies