Former GA Lt Gov Endorses Biden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:08:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Former GA Lt Gov Endorses Biden
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Former GA Lt Gov Endorses Biden  (Read 849 times)
GAinDC

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2024, 01:45:21 PM »

From AJC:

Geoff Duncan: Why I’m voting for Biden and other Republicans should, too

It’s disappointing to watch an increasing number of Republicans fall in line behind former president Donald Trump. This includes some of his fiercest detractors, such as U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu and former U.S. Attorney General Bill Barr, who raised eyebrows during a recent interview by vowing to support the “Republican ticket.”

This mentality is dead wrong.

Yes, elections are a binary choice. Yes, serious questions linger about President Biden’s ability to serve until the age of 86. His progressive policies aren’t to conservatives’ liking.

But the GOP will never rebuild until we move on from the Trump era, leaving conservative (but not angry) Republicans like me no choice but to pull the lever for Biden. At the same time, we should work to elect GOP congressional majorities to block his second-term legislative agenda and provide a check and balance.

Unlike Trump, I’ve belonged to the GOP my entire life. This November, I am voting for a decent person I disagree with on policy over a criminal defendant without a moral compass.

https://www.ajc.com/opinion/geoff-duncan-why-im-voting-for-biden-and-other-republicans-should-too/LFLE5YWCBBA6VDGJAJKMNPCDKQ/

Does this endorsement move the needle in GA and elsewhere?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 01:49:29 PM »

It probably doesn't move the needle much, but it is a good look to have cross party endorsements like this. And no, Tulsi Gabbard for Trump does not count the same as this.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 01:49:43 PM »

I think it could matter a bit in Georgia considering that it's less Trump-friendly Republicans seem to still have good-will among the left-trending Atlanta suburbs.

In most other senses, let's not forget that this guy was briefly tapped to be the No Labels candidate.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 01:50:17 PM »

FF move. He puts country over party.

He probably made a huge misscalculation by not running again out of fear to lose the primary. If even Raffensberger pulled it off in the first round, Duncan could have too.

Whether it changes much in Georgia for November? I doubt it, to be frank. But his help doesn't hurt and should be appreciated.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 01:52:07 PM »

He probably made a huge misscalculation by not running again out of fear to lose the primary. If even Raffensberger pulled it off in the first round, Duncan could have too.

Whether it changes much in Georgia for November? I doubt it, to be frank. But his help doesn't hurt and should be appreciated.

So endorsing the man who made inflation go up is “putting the country first”
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2024, 01:56:47 PM »

This is factually not true. Indeed, Biden's administration has been pretty effective in getting inflation under control, sooner than in other countries that were affected of this global trend.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2024, 01:57:37 PM »

Biden didn't make inflation go up. Unless you support price controls Biden can't do anything about that. Lastly, Trump is a clear threat to democracy so voting for Biden is putting the country first.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2024, 01:59:17 PM »

If Trump won in 2020 he would be dealing with the same inflation and other economic hurdles Biden has been.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 02:30:44 PM »

This is exactly what every anti-Trump Republican should do. I respect Duncan for this, but this is the bare minimum. This is not a matter of tax policy or immigration policy--this is about setting the precedent that democracy is worth preserving. We won't be able to disagree about the issues if we don't have free and fair elections. Keeping Trump out of the oval office is a short term sacrifice for the long term well-being of the country. All conservatives should be able to make the same choice fairly easily.

That said, this will have no impact on the election at all. Duncan is even less noteworthy than John Kasich was in 2020.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 02:54:14 PM »

This one is pretty surprising, Duncan kind of seemed like the typical Christie/Haley/Pence etc Never Trumper thing and acquiesce and do the whole 'I won't vote for Trump but won't vote for Biden either!' So for him to actually state he'll vote for Biden is pretty huge.

It also could be the start of more Republicans coming around to this view. There's definitely been a few hot takes of 'Where are all the Republicans for Biden' this time around from some, so I imagine people like Liz Cheney may follow suit.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2024, 02:59:26 PM »

It's a 303 map anyways, the polls were way off in the Winter anyways, Trump is not up 6 in AZ/NC and 8 up in GA/NC.  It's easy as one pollster said to push someone to 10 up on an opponent by pushing that Biden is at 36 percent Approvals and he isn't at 36 he is at 45 and always have been.

All the pills are self correcting the bogus polls we had in the Winter anyways combined with Biden SOTU bump. Trump was never gonna win by a landslide
GAinDC

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2024, 03:28:53 PM »

This one is pretty surprising, Duncan kind of seemed like the typical Christie/Haley/Pence etc Never Trumper thing and acquiesce and do the whole 'I won't vote for Trump but won't vote for Biden either!' So for him to actually state he'll vote for Biden is pretty huge.

It also could be the start of more Republicans coming around to this view. There's definitely been a few hot takes of 'Where are all the Republicans for Biden' this time around from some, so I imagine people like Liz Cheney may follow suit.

He's strategic. He knows four more years of Biden will be better for Republicans in the long run. Trump coming back int power probably hollows out the Republican Party's bank account and infrastructure even further, forces them to accept even more of Trump's transgressions, and limits their ability to win important midterm and off year races, thereby shrinking their bench.

In turn, I think a second Biden term with Trump out of the picture gives Republicans more of a chance to regroup, rebrand, and have a better 2026/28. Even as a Dem, I'd be ok with that if it means Trump is gone for good.

Georgia is a great example. A Biden midterm in 2026 probably sets them up to hold the governor's mansion and beat Ossoff. But a Trump midterm probably makes those races more of a reach for them, even with good candidates.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2024, 04:33:47 PM »

I think in hindsight, Duncan could have (and would have) survived his primary in 2022 and won re-election.  The interesting hypothetical there is whether he would have been as outspokenly anti-Trump if he were still in office.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2024, 05:45:38 PM »

Georgia only had a 12,000 vote margin in 2020 so small nudges like this could end up mattering.
randomusername

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2024, 06:07:58 PM »

She didn't endorse Biden, but Marty Kemp said she'd write-in Brian Kemp too.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2024, 06:12:23 PM »

Georgia only had a 12,000 vote margin in 2020 so small nudges like this could end up mattering.
True.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2024, 07:24:06 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2024, 08:27:44 PM by Canis »

it literally came out three days ago that a price fixing scheme among oil companies caused 27% of all the inflation in the US in 2021 https://www.thebignewsletter.com/p/an-oil-price-fixing-conspiracy-caused
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/02/ftc-oil-exec-opec-prices-00155671#:~:text=The%20collusion%20allegations%20are%20at,reached%20record%20highs%20in%202022.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2024, 08:16:31 PM »

it literally came out three days ago that a price fixing scheme among oil companies caused 27% of the inflation in 2021 https://www.thebignewsletter.com/p/an-oil-price-fixing-conspiracy-caused
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/02/ftc-oil-exec-opec-prices-00155671#:~:text=The%20collusion%20allegations%20are%20at,reached%20record%20highs%20in%202022.

Not surprised I haven't seen this on CNN ig.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2024, 08:19:49 PM »

Even if this economically illiterate statement were accurate, yes, this would be putting the country first.

Bad economic policy is preferable to fascism.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2024, 10:02:06 AM »

it literally came out three days ago that a price fixing scheme among oil companies caused 27% of the inflation in 2021 https://www.thebignewsletter.com/p/an-oil-price-fixing-conspiracy-caused

Why hasn’t this made bigger headlines, this confirms one of the consumers biggest fears.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2024, 11:12:01 AM »

I always find it interesting how the Republicans who flip to endorse Biden are generally well-respected individuals while any sort of big name Dems flipping to Trump have always been strange, corrupt, and incoherent ideologically (i.e. Tulsi Gabbard, Rod Blagojevich) and seem very opportunistic.
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2024, 12:51:34 PM »

Why hasn’t this made bigger headlines, this confirms one of the consumers biggest fears.

You know damn well why.
GAinDC

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2024, 02:27:02 PM »

I always find it interesting how the Republicans who flip to endorse Biden are generally well-respected individuals while any sort of big name Dems flipping to Trump have always been strange, corrupt, and incoherent ideologically (i.e. Tulsi Gabbard, Rod Blagojevich) and seem very opportunistic.

gee, I wonder why
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2024, 02:39:24 PM »

I have respect for people like him, who can see through the EXTREMELY toxic nature of Traitorous-Trump, and what 4 more years of trump would do to our nation.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2024, 02:55:55 PM »

Trump supporters are the biggest marks on the planet, why wouldn't a grifter try to appeal to them?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies