Can pop culture become “history,” and how?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 10:07:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Can pop culture become “history,” and how?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can pop culture become “history,” and how?  (Read 684 times)
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:51:30 PM »

I took a course on the Beatles in my freshman year of college and received history credits for it. I noticed many of my colleagues in the class understood the Beatles and Bob Dylan especially as historical figures and not artists people were still organically engaging with.

This reflection made me take pause as I’ve been treating those artists as artists and not cultural symbols for as long as I can remember. I don’t really follow developments in contemporary music, not out of disdain but disinterest. Yet, I’ve noticed that pop culture figures like the Beatles have been sort of run into that role as a symbol of “days past,” or some ancien regime of old.

Will we see JFK as a primarily “pop” figure decades from now? What processes in historiography and “here-and-now” academic treatment create this? Ayn Rand in particular also stands out to me as a pop figure which hasn’t been properly understood — and I wonder why.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 12:19:48 AM »

Yeah.

In the future kids will learn about Stefan Karl Stefansson in school.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 06:26:11 AM »

because most humans are shallow?  I don't know if I understand what you're asking.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »

How does one define "pop culture"? Hell, William Shakespeare was basically a popular author (more like screenwriter, if you want a modern analogy), writing for the public amusement. But he's remembered as one of the greatest classics. The same applies, though to a lesser extend, to the likes of Dumas Pere.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 10:24:47 PM »

Pop culture, as by definition culture, will become our artistic footprint in history. Yes, pop culture will become history. As mentioned, Shakespeare and the Dumas were popular writers, now considered historical. It's all perspective.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies