Draft Picks for Districts 3 & 5 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:03:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Draft Picks for Districts 3 & 5 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Draft Picks for Districts 3 & 5  (Read 2009 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: January 16, 2005, 07:17:29 PM »

"As Far As I Know".
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 01:39:41 PM »

There's actually a proposition here in BC to enact this kind of voting for provincial elections; as far as I could tell, it's exactly as we do it, but they call it the "Single Transferable Vote method" or something like that.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 01:59:14 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2005, 02:02:31 PM by Senator Gabu »

There's actually a proposition here in BC to enact this kind of voting for provincial elections; as far as I could tell, it's exactly as we do it, but they call it the "Single Transferable Vote method" or something like that.

STV is different from what we have and is a form of PR.

Oh, how does it work?  Maybe I didn't read the proposition carefully regarding what it does.

EDIT: No, I looked it up and it is the same thing.  According to Wikipedia, "When a similar method [of Single Transferable Vote] is applied to single-seat elections it is sometimes called instant-runoff voting."  Ours are single-seat elections.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 02:06:24 PM »

STV is different from what we have and is a form of PR.

Oh, how does it work?  Maybe I didn't read the proposition carefully regarding what it does.

It is used in multi-member constituencies.

It requires that all those elected receive a majority of the vote in the constituency.

The "Droop Quota" is used to determine the number of votes necessary:

Q = (total votes cast/number of seats + 1) +1

E.g.

In a 5 member constituency with 360,000 electors, the required number of votes is 60,001.

In the first phase of the count anybody with 60,001 votes or more is elected (Usually at least one candidate is elected here) The votes that were for them are now transferred to their second preferences which can lead to the election of another candidate. From here in they eliminate from the bottom upwards until all the vacancies are filled.

According to Wikipedia, it can be used in either a proportional representation setup or a single-seat election setup, and it's called "instant-runoff voting" (what Atlasia has) when it's applied to single-seat elections, which are what we have in BC.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies