What should clergy wear? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:06:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What should clergy wear? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What should clergy wear?
Ceremonial vestments

Formal dresses/suits and ties

Jeans and normal shirts

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: What should clergy wear?  (Read 7412 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: April 04, 2012, 08:12:17 AM »

Any of the above, depending on denomination/context/their congregation/their preference
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »

I've always said I'll never go to a church where the pastor is wearing a tie unless they are obviously doing it "ironically". If I see that I'm out the door.

Because Jesus wants you to judge people by how they dress and not by their words and actions, right?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »

Hey you were the one earlier arguing that God would care about what people wear to church and not approve of hoodies, band shirts and torn jeans.

That was about respect for your deity - my primary point was that I don't think you have it, that for you going to church is supposed to be about you having fun rather than being about worshiping and glorifying your god. The fact that you would refuse to enter a church to worship and glorify your god based solely on the preacher's clothing only bolsters this argument.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »

Even if I accept that it isn't justification for judging someone else on what they are wearing.

The main thing though is that any church where the pastor is wearing a suit and tie is almost certainly a fundie one.

Possibly, but should you really prejudge them based solely on that? Shouldn't you actually find out first?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »

Hey you were the one earlier arguing that God would care about what people wear to church and not approve of hoodies, band shirts and torn jeans.

That was about respect for your deity - my primary point was that I don't think you have it, that for you going to church is supposed to be about you having fun rather than being about worshiping and glorifying your god. The fact that you would refuse to enter a church to worship and glorify your god based solely on the preacher's clothing only bolsters this argument.

To be fair to BRTD, I don't think his point of view is logically inconsistent. If one disagrees with the notion that God requires formal attire during worship service to show Him respect, it follows that one would also choose not to associate himself with a church where the pastor emphasizes this practice by wearing formal business attire. 

The clothing thing is just one aspect though - it's really not even the most important thing. It's how he treats the whole package. He treats worship service as if it were a concert and he can't be bothered to take the time to read the whole Bible. If he were to just shut up about it like most of the fair weather followers do I wouldn't ride him about it so much, but he insists on continuing to insert it into conversation and as such it's open to criticism.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:13:19 PM »

Wait- is that a swimming pool in the 2nd pic? Man, that is ratty. As for the first pic, not impressive enough. Baptisms (& preferably all religious services) should take place in huge cathedrals shaped like crosses & full of ornate art, soaring ceilings, & huge pipe organs with 3 or 4 keyboards + pedals.

Personally I think a river or a lake would be nicer for a baptism if you're going to have one. But either way would be a step up from a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies