Diplomacy Dreams (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:53:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Diplomacy Dreams (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Diplomacy Dreams  (Read 13016 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: April 01, 2024, 06:46:43 AM »

Hey, everyone! Thanks for letting me jump in. I've played Diplomacy before, including on here, but it's been a while so I'm probably a little rusty. Smiley Feel free to message me with intriguing alliance proposals. I've been given a short summary by my predecessor on the current state of affairs. But of course, all things are always in flux when it comes to Diplomacy. Wink
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 09:21:30 AM »

Just to be clear, this is 10 PM EST Aptril 11 and therefore 2 AM UTC Friday 12?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 04:07:00 AM »

I don't have a strong opinion in general, but yeah, the stretch of time zones makes the practical move window a bit shorter than 48 hours would imply.

Fine with an extension for this case.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 02:02:37 AM »

Sorry guys, didn't realize we'd just skip the the retreat phase and it would be this urgent to enter the build. Had a pretty busy day yesterday and was never in front of my laptop.

I'm honestly fine dropping out if you want to find someone with more time. I've found the vibe of this game to be a bit unpleasant at times, making it significantly less enjoyable than my previous Diplomacy games. But I can still enter orders for this phase. 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 02:11:02 AM »

I don't know who else would be available to substitute. It's also pretty late in the game for people to be dropping out.

Most importantly, the game is not a revolving door and I can't help but feel frustrated every time someone drops out. I know Jesse's tired as well and it is evident that people aren't reading the rules or the first pages of this thread. Commitment and deadlines matter and they should be accounted for before somebody joins a game. It's already been explained why leaving the game while you have centers in play is extremely unfair to both the game moderator and the other players.

Gustaf, you haven't been here very long and you took over for another person who called it quits. The only choices are you staying in the game and sticking to deadlines or putting the game on hiatus (again) until Germany #3 signs up, whenever that might be.

Well, maybe part of the reason people drop out is that you're an unpleasant person to play with.

I want to make clear that my complaint is not about the deadlines. I've played Diplomacy games before, including on here, and simply did not expect the atmosphere to be what it was. So I guess I didn't know what I signed up for in that sense.

I have entered orders for the next phase but it does sound like you're better off finding someone else willing to play this way. 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 05:43:38 AM »

I don't know who else would be available to substitute. It's also pretty late in the game for people to be dropping out.

Most importantly, the game is not a revolving door and I can't help but feel frustrated every time someone drops out. I know Jesse's tired as well and it is evident that people aren't reading the rules or the first pages of this thread. Commitment and deadlines matter and they should be accounted for before somebody joins a game. It's already been explained why leaving the game while you have centers in play is extremely unfair to both the game moderator and the other players.

Gustaf, you haven't been here very long and you took over for another person who called it quits. The only choices are you staying in the game and sticking to deadlines or putting the game on hiatus (again) until Germany #3 signs up, whenever that might be.

Well, maybe part of the reason people drop out is that you're an unpleasant person to play with.

I want to make clear that my complaint is not about the deadlines. I've played Diplomacy games before, including on here, and simply did not expect the atmosphere to be what it was. So I guess I didn't know what I signed up for in that sense.

I have entered orders for the next phase but it does sound like you're better off finding someone else willing to play this way. 

How have I been unpleasant? I've been cordial in all my correspondences with the players, and I'm simply reemphasizing a point that's been made before in this thread when these incidents occurred as well as speaking up for my personal friend who registered on the forum specifically to host this tournament, and put in considerable time needed to do so.

I'll take the heat for that, because the OP is not in any way at fault for the "atmosphere" (not entirely sure what this refers to) of the game.

As I've told him, I have no criticism of the moderator or the way game decisions have been handled. Those are not the reasons I have lost interest.

To the thread: it does sound like you have various alternate paths that seem better than me weighing the game down. Thank you to those who have reached out to me.

I'm also happy to "onboard" a new player taking over for me if there is any desire for that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies