attention whore thread: college selection (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:32:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  attention whore thread: college selection (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: where should I go to college?  (estimated cost in parentheses)
Cornell University ($17500)

Stony Brook University Honors College ($1200)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: attention whore thread: college selection  (Read 5128 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: April 06, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »

it's down to two, and down to economics... after the financial packages came in, those numbers became the estimated cost of attendance...

so...  Stony Brook would be almost free, meaning I could get a new car and a few other nice things.  but Cornell is amazing and is the better school and so on.

opinions?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 06:33:55 PM »

it's for four years.

but everyone, obviously Cornell is objectively better, but look at the money!  I want a car to drink in, smoke cigarettes in, f*** people in, etc
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »

Cornell bettered my financial package so that it would cost be approximately $6500 to attend, making it significantly more likely that I will go there.  (btw I'd be attending the School of Industrial and Labor Relations)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:33:54 PM »

Stony Brook. Odds are you'll drink the whole time and just drop out before graduating anyway so don't bother with the waste of money. And that's not an insult either, a majority of incoming college freshmen will NOT have graduated in 6 years (so for all the crap I get here, I still did better than half my incoming class.), so yeah it's a statistical fact, most people will not finish college so don't waste the money on some stupid private one.
Worst advice I've seen yet in this thread.
Agreed.

Tweed, I would say Stony Brook; Cornell is probably a bit too dour and engineeringy for you (but I'm not sure what you want to do).

I would be attending the School of Industrial and Labor Relations which is pure social science (and is only about 800 students large)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »

they aren't requiring me to take a foreign language nor really take any type of lab-science which is all I care about.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »

Cornell bettered my financial package so that it would cost be approximately $6500 to attend, making it significantly more likely that I will go there.  (btw I'd be attending the School of Industrial and Labor Relations)

That said, don't lose the scholarship.  What are the requirements for it?  If you do then you'll really be screwed.  Please remember the academic gap between Cornell and a lot of high schools is HUGE and if you went to an average to subpar HS, you'll really have to work your ass off freshman year to catch up to peers from wealthier/more prestigious districts or prep schools.  A lot of 18-19 year olds don't have the maturity and don't be insulted but based on some of your posts I don't think you do.  I sure as hell didn't either at your age.  I'm saying this because again I fell hard on my ass at Lehigh.  But $6500 over 4 years (am I wrong?) is not bad.  Does that include housing and food?  If it does than it's a hell of a deal.

most of it is not scholarship but rather guaranteed financial aid.  the the 6500 figure does include room & board.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 04:15:22 PM »

it is going to be Cornell University School of Industrial and Labor Relations.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 05:34:02 PM »

most of it is in grants.  I believe there is a $4000 loan that doesn't start accumulating interest until I graduate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies