Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 12:18:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill (Law'd)  (Read 6479 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »
« edited: May 23, 2009, 01:13:26 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Legalization of Heroin Bill

Section 1: Findings
1. Heroin is a white, crystalline, narcotic powder, C21H23NO5, derived from morphine, formerly used as an analgesic and sedative.
2. The pharmaceutical price of heroin is only 5% of the average street price of heroin.

Section 2: Applicability
1. This law shall remove all federal restrictions on heroin in addition to legalization in Nyman and other federal territories which do not form a region.
2. The Regions of Atlasia shall be free to legalize and regulate heroin in any manner which they may choose.

Section 3: In Regards to the Legal Status of Heroin
1. The possession and consumption of heroin shall be legal.
2. This law shall not be interpreted as to decriminalize driving under the influence of heroin.
3. Penalties for driving under the influence of heroin shall be the same as those for driving under the influence of alcohol and other substances.

Section 4: Taxation
1. Sales tax on heroin will be 30%.  Individual regions may set their own taxes on heroin as they see fit in addition to the federal tax which shall not exceed 20%.
2. Federal revenue raised from taxes on heroin shall be spent as follows:
   a.) 50% to a newly created National Opiate Addiction Help Center
   b.) 25% to funding for the needle exchange program created by the Atlasian Policy Regarding HIV/AIDS
   c.) 25% to improvements to federal interstate highways
3. Regional revenue generated from sales of heroin shall be used however the region deems necessary by a vote of the people upon voting for legalization.
4. The National Opiate Addiction Help Center shall not be funded by any other taxes.
5. The National Opiate Addiction Help Center shall focus on treatment options not involving methodone

Section 5: Purchases
1. Heroin shall be available at any licensed pharmacies that chose to sell heroin.
2. Heroin shall not require a prescription but will kept behind the counter under all circumstances.
3. Individuals not in possession of the proper licenses shall still be prohibited from selling heroin.

Section 6: Age Restrictions
1. No one under the age of 18 shall be allowed to purchase heroin
2. Any pharmacist selling heroin to a person under the age of 18 shall be subject to any of the following:
   a.) a fine not to exceed $100,000
   b.) 30 days in a regional prison
   c.) a suspension or revokal of license

Spon: Sen. Franzl
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:30:41 PM »

Sections 4 & 6 suck. The rest is wonderful.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:33:06 PM »

I'll be voting against this but I will vote to keep sections 4 & 6 if that amendment does come up.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »

I don't plan on supporting this bill.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:16:45 PM »

Heroin shouldn't have an age restriction?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »

Heroin legalization......No way. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:58:32 PM »

Heroin shouldn't have an age restriction?

I don't like age restrictions on drugs, for the fundamental reason that they increase use among people who are underage. It might be fine if the penalties for selling to underage persons is less severe.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 01:26:32 AM »

I won't be supporting the decriminalisation of heroin.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:31:39 AM »

I won't be supporting the decriminalisation of heroin.

nor will I, although I did consider it for a while....and leaned towards supporting this at one point.

I thought this could, at least, lead to some interesting debate, however Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »

Franzl +afleitch + HappyWarrior + Purple State + MasterJedi + presumably Smid = no passing of this bill
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 12:01:26 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2009, 12:03:36 PM by Senator PiT »

So what would people being willing to legalize, anyway?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 12:34:38 PM »

If heroin were legalised, we would have to provide a whole host of measures to 'support it' including extended needle exchange, help for children whose parents take it, children born technically addicted, mental health care etc. A huge extension of the state just to allow people to get smacked out their heads legally.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »

If heroin were legalised, we would have to provide a whole host of measures to 'support it' including extended needle exchange, help for children whose parents take it, children born technically addicted, mental health care etc. A huge extension of the state just to allow people to get smacked out their heads legally.

That doesn't answer my question, but okay.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 02:21:03 PM »

What more do you want? You already have marijuana.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »

Huh?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »

Huh?

Sounded like PiT meant what other drugs would we be willing to legalize. So I said marijuana has already be legalized by the Senate.

Or did he mean what aspects of heroine would we be willing to compromise on?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 02:51:41 PM »

I assume PiT did ask for what drugs we'd all be willing to legalize. Your response made it sound like you were alleging he wanted them legalized for his personal use or something. I was a bit confused, is all.

BTW, note that LSD is also decriminalized. Something else might be too but I don't remember.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »

I was asking about what other drugs you would be willing to legalize. I am firmly of the opinion that all drugs should be legalized/decriminalized. Lacking the means to make that happen, I was curious as to what my colleagues would support legalizing so we could go ahead with that.

Also, as far as I know only marijuana & LSD are the only ones that have been legalized/decriminalized.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 03:33:24 PM »

For the record, I would support further decriminalization of nondangerous drugs.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »

I do not believe in any decriminalization or legalization of any drugs. I'd preferably remove the old legislation that did this as well though I realize this won't happen.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »

I assume PiT did ask for what drugs we'd all be willing to legalize. Your response made it sound like you were alleging he wanted them legalized for his personal use or something. I was a bit confused, is all.

BTW, note that LSD is also decriminalized. Something else might be too but I don't remember.

When I said "you" I meant the pro-decriminalization groups. Was a broad reference.

I would support the legalization and taxation of other nondangerous drugs, but I don't know of many besides marijuana. Granted, I am not much of a drug expert. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 08:15:45 PM »

When I said "you" I meant the pro-decriminalization groups. Was a broad reference.

I would support the legalization and taxation of other nondangerous drugs, but I don't know of many besides marijuana. Granted, I am not much of a drug expert. Tongue

Hallucinogens tend to be pretty harmless (except for PCP). Maybe we should try to legalize mescaline.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »

Hallucinogens tend to be pretty harmless (except for PCP). Maybe we should try to legalize mescaline.

Is the black market and resulting danger to society that high for mescaline? Would taxing mescaline bring in that much revenue?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 08:41:48 PM »

Does it deserve to be illegal and have its users stigmatized by the government and society?

You are asking the wrong questions, PS.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »

Does it deserve to be illegal and have its users stigmatized by the government and society?

You are asking the wrong questions, PS.

I guess I would be more supportive if we did them all at the same time. Incrementalism would be far too laborious. Get a list of all the drugs that you feel are safe and non-addictive which you believe should be legalized and propose a bill for their legalization and taxation. I would be happy to vote for something like that.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies