Rudy vs. Obama 2008 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:25:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Rudy vs. Obama 2008 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rudy vs. Obama 2008  (Read 3198 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« on: March 23, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »

Rudolph Giuliani loses in a landslide. Not even Utah would be safe.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »

That is not "absolute silliness". I was serious when I said that, just as I am serious now. And yes, Giuliani would have problems winning even the most solid Republican states, in part because of much less conservative turnout for the Republicans. Another reason: it could be that the conservatives, disliking both of the major party candidates, would form a third party movement. Both of these would be factors in Giuliani losing so heavily.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »

That is not "absolute silliness". I was serious when I said that, just as I am serious now. And yes, Giuliani would have problems winning even the most solid Republican states, in part because of much less conservative turnout for the Republicans. Another reason: it could be that the conservatives, disliking both of the major party candidates, would form a third party movement. Both of these would be factors in Giuliani losing so heavily.

Rudy would have a strong conservative running mate to make sure the safe states stayed safe. I admit that a third party challenge could happen but with major backers like Pat Robertson, I think they'd make sure that Rudy wouldn't be challenged from the right. Plus, as crazy as it seems, they seemed more energized for Rudy than they were for McCain.

No. Rudy would alienate conservatives, even if he selects a conservative for VP. Remember: the ticket would be Rudy/conservative, not conservative/Rudy.  The VP has very little power in comparison to the president, and the conservative being second to Rudy, instead of the other way around, does not cause conservatives to let him off the hook. Also, I doubt that Pat Robertson would endorse a ticket with Giuliani as presidential nominee.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 08:17:38 PM »

He may have done better in Virginia and Pennsylvania. It would be interesting as to whether he could've help some of the more liberal Republicans in his camp who were alienated by the Palin pick.

...Also, it is silly to say he would've lost Utah. No way does he lose that state. The Mormons would vote for a GOP candidate no matter what, and I would assume Officepark would vote for Giuliani as well. Obama was not an alternative for the base. There was threats of a third party with McCain as well from the big Religious Right leaders, but they eventually gave in and supported McCain. Pat Robertson threw his weight behind Rudy early. It's nonsense to say that he would've lost much worse than McCain. I doubt it. Here's a map I think would've happened.

Oh no no, most certainly not!! In fact, I would vote for Obama over Giuliani!

I am only joking, of course. Seriously though, I would not vote for Giuliani (I would indeed vote third party), and what makes you think that I would?

Also, your talk about Giuliani doing better than McCain in VA and elsewhere, that is what is silly. Your map shows Giuliani doing better than McCain, and that is nonsense. Further, Mormons do not necessarily vote Republican.

Plus, liberal Republicans are basically Democrats, so they would have voted for Obama in almost any case. Giuliani was more liberal than McCain, but the liberal Republicans would still go for Obama.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:57:44 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2009, 08:08:27 PM by I approve this message »

Here is the map.

Obama: 430
Conservative third party: 108
Giuliani: 0

Obama wins like Wilson in 1912.
Pages: [1]