NY-Gov/Sen: Bill Weld? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 05:16:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-Gov/Sen: Bill Weld? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-Gov/Sen: Bill Weld?  (Read 2938 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« on: April 24, 2005, 02:58:23 PM »

A little bit of chatter from Daily Kos:

"At the 1pm news on NPR (AM 820), it was announced New York Magazine had an article claiming that Bill Weld (moderate, pro-choice Republican & former governor of Massachusetts) has been in talks with the NY State Republican Party about challenging Spitzer for governor or Hillary for Senator in '06.  Apparently, Weld has lived in New York since 2000.  This could be big news."

snip

"I lived in MA right after Weld was first elected, but moved away soon after that, so I don't know much about what kind of political capital he has there or in New York.  He does have decent name ID and could be an appealing moderate for upstate voters.  But, again, he is a Republican in a very hungry very blue state, and I'm not sure how well folks will view a 'carpetbagger,' especially from Massachusetts.  Interesting..."

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 03:09:45 PM »

Ok, I found a better source.  Wink

From the AP:

ALBANY, N.Y. - Former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld has had discussions with New York Republican officials about a possible run for governor or the U.S. Senate next year in the state where he has lived since 2000, a top GOP official said Sunday.

The party official, speaking to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said there have been staff-level discussions between the two camps and direct conversations between at least one other top GOP official and Weld.

The primary interest is in Weld running for governor, the source said.

The talks between Weld and New York Republican officials were first reported on Sunday by New York Magazine in the issue of the weekly that hits newsstands on Monday. The magazine said Weld has been telling associates that GOP leaders approached him about running
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies