Abortion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:21:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 60667 times)
ElCidGOP
Rookie

« on: March 16, 2004, 03:25:04 PM »

I see issues as either right or wrong, no gray area.  I really don't understand how anyone can think that abortion should be legal.  Since I can remember I have always felt that way.  My wife gave birth to our first child (a son) on March 4, 2004.  This has only reinforced my belief that abortion is an abomination and is a great evil.  I could never and will never vote for any candidate that is pro-abortion.  
ElCidGOP
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »

This talk of this disease and that disease obscures the fact that the VAST majority of abortions in this country are performed for the convinience of the mother/father.  A story of mine:  Just after the 2000 elections, I was sitting in a brewery in Portland, Oregon.  I struck up a conversation with a pretty woman of about 25 to 30.  She was a professional, good looking, white woman.  Of course, given the times and the fact that I am an outspoken and blatant conservative, we began to discuss the Bush v. Gore debacle.  She was a Gore voter.  Then, the conversation turned to the issues and eventually to abortion.  She tells me that she is personally offended by my views on abortion because she had one when she was in college.  I was offended cause she had an abortion.   Though the conversation soon ended,  she did tell me that she became pregnant and was in the middle of her college career and that she had big plans for the future.  She says that her plan would be ended if she had to give birth to a child.  I couldn't believe my ears.  Nine months.  She came from an upper middle class family.  She could have given birth to the baby, put the baby up for adoption and there would have been a line around the corner of people ready and willing to adopt that baby and love that baby till the end of time.  What a tragedy!  I couldn't help but get the feeling that her decision will haunt her for the rest of her life.  Nine months of sacrifice on her part could have brought a new life into the world, instead, it was ended.  Plenty of blame to go around for this.  Her parents (where are the values that would prevent a horrendous decision like that), the father (where is he, the scoundrel), society (abortion is legal).  

History will judge us harshly for our position on abortion.

I would suggest you read up on anencephaly and hydrocephalus, two obstetric conditions in which a fetus is conceived without a full brain, is born alive, and they are both dangerous to maternal health.

In addition, it is rather hasty of you to describe dilation and extraction as barbaric. What is barbaric, under most modern ethical standards, is to force women to bear unwanted children under the most unsafe of conditions.

I also could not help to note that you oppose abortion because you feel that a fetus can feel pain. A fetus cannot feel pain until it develops a cerebral cortex. Would you support abortion rights prior to that point?

P.S. The correct locution isn't aren't I, it is am I not.
ElCidGOP
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 09:04:25 PM »

Jack and he weighed 7 lbs, 6 oz, 20 inches long.  Mom and Jack are doing fine.  Thanks for asking.

Congradulations! What did you name him? How much did he weigh?
ElCidGOP
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 01:38:06 PM »

President Bush can't do anything about abortion.  He can restrict certain funds from being used in certain ways and other modest measures, but he can nominate good, conservative judges to the courts.  Of course, this is virtually impossible with the likes of Patrick Leahy, Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton.  The Roe v. Wade decision was the worst judicial decision in the history of the United States.  

There are THREE MILLION abortions a year in the United States.  Once again, THAT'S THREE MILLION!  Not four, or ten or even a thousand.  It is not rare, it is RAMPANT.  The majority of these abortions occur for the convenience of the party's involved.  Abortions are an industry in this country.  Planned Parenthood is a corporation, making millions of dollars a year.  I don't see how the belief that abortion ends a life is a religious or moral belief.  I don't care if you worship the kitchen sink or have no belief whatsoever in any god anywhere, basic human decency should provide for the protection of innocent unborn human life.  Take a look at an ultrasound, listen to a unborn child's beating heart.  Do you know that unborn children get the hiccups in the womb?  They reflexively move away from light, which they perceive as a threat.  

Like I said, it can be spun this way and that, but abortion still ends a human life.  It is disgusting.

I am not opposed to your choice to own a gun as long as you aren't wreckless with it.  But I think people like you should respect other peoples choices...  such as the choice to have an abortion.  If you think it is so bad then dont you have one, but don't force everyone else to follow your religious or moral beliefs.

If you won't vote for a candidate who is pro-choice, how can you vote for Bush considering he has been in office for 3 years now with the Republicans in complete control of congress and has done nothing to outlaw abortion, just a few restrictive measures here and there.
ElCidGOP
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 08:30:35 PM »

Hey Mr. Maryland Democrat.  I will put my head up my ass if I want to and I don't think your comment was appropriate for this forum.  Why don't you take you snide, liberal crap to democraticunderground.com or deanforamerica.com if you want post comments like that and talk about my ass.  So I exaggerated a little.   It was a good faith exaggeration.  Were talking in the millions here.  EXCUSE ME, let me set the record straight based on the facts that you provided.  Only 857,457 abortions took place in a year.  I guess that number does look different to you but not to the 857,457 babies who were "aborted."  I am sure the next time I check this forum, you will have posted some other stat that will indicate that 99% of all aborted babies were going to be born without brains or have their hearts growing on their kneecaps.  

In keeping with the facts, the 1999 total pregnancy count includes about 3.96 million live births, 1.31 million induced abortions.  Thats great, in the USA, 1/3 of all pregnancies end in abortion.

You know, I can accept the fact that I got the facts wrong.  But, "your head out of my ass" set me off on this rant.

There are THREE MILLION abortions a year in the United States.  Once again, THAT'S THREE MILLION!  Not four, or ten or even a thousand.  It is not rare, it is RAMPANT.

Get your head out of your ass and get the facts straight:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/releases/03facts/pregbirths.htm

Even a bigger decline going into 2000...

I don't care what your position is, but don't !@#$ with the facts to increase the emotion to your argument. 857,457 looks a lot different than 3 million to me.

http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/surv_abort00.htm
ElCidGOP
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 09:40:20 PM »

OK, ofthisnation, let's bury the hatchet.  Your point is well taken and before I quote stats again, I will make sure I look them up.  

Take it easy.

Hey Mr. Maryland Democrat.  I will put my head up my ass if I want to and I don't think your comment was appropriate for this forum.  Why don't you take you snide, liberal crap to democraticunderground.com or deanforamerica.com if you want post comments like that and talk about my ass.  So I exaggerated a little.   It was a good faith exaggeration.  Were talking in the millions here.  EXCUSE ME, let me set the record straight based on the facts that you provided.  Only 857,457 abortions took place in a year.  I guess that number does look different to you but not to the 857,457 babies who were "aborted."  I am sure the next time I check this forum, you will have posted some other stat that will indicate that 99% of all aborted babies were going to be born without brains or have their hearts growing on their kneecaps.  

In keeping with the facts, the 1999 total pregnancy count includes about 3.96 million live births, 1.31 million induced abortions.  Thats great, in the USA, 1/3 of all pregnancies end in abortion.

You know, I can accept the fact that I got the facts wrong.  But, "your head out of my ass" set me off on this rant.

There are THREE MILLION abortions a year in the United States.  Once again, THAT'S THREE MILLION!  Not four, or ten or even a thousand.  It is not rare, it is RAMPANT.

Get your head out of your ass and get the facts straight:

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/releases/03facts/pregbirths.htm

Even a bigger decline going into 2000...

I don't care what your position is, but don't !@#$ with the facts to increase the emotion to your argument. 857,457 looks a lot different than 3 million to me.

http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/surv_abort00.htm

Whatever your arguing, whether it be abortion, the death penalty, social security or Iraq, making up statistics will get you nowhere. You lose a lot of credibility when you do that.

And you exaggerated "a little?"  My friend, you reinforced your original notion that 3 million abortions occur each year with plenty of vigor, as if you knew it to be true.
ElCidGOP
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 12:05:50 PM »

CTGuy, you wrote that there are 100 abortions in 10 minutes and that is how it should be.  Are you kidding me?  Do you really feel that way?  

I would have to say that the reason abortion is legal in all 50 states and DC is not because a majority prefers it this way or that, but because the judiciary wants it that way.  Put to a referendum (if that was possible) my belief is that abortion would be voted illegal in all cases except rape, health of the mother and incest (all very limited in number of occurences).  Why is abortion so sacred to the left?  What do they get out of it?  

I live in Florida do, and I thank God for that everyday.  We probably have the best governor in the nation in Jeb Bush.  
ElCidGOP
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 08:25:45 PM »

As we can see, abortion is a very controversial issue.  For the most part, the abortion lobby has most politicians by the balls, especially in the red states.  There are some exceptions, notably Senator Santorum (who would make a fine president in my opinion) from PA.  

Abortion is a devisive issue.  For my part, I find the procedure to be an abomination, but this is America and the pro-abortion forces have the upper hand, for now.  It's too bad, but what comes around, goes around and there is hell to be paid for those on the wrong side.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies