Determining regulations of Constitutional Convention. (FINAL VOTE) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:30:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Determining regulations of Constitutional Convention. (FINAL VOTE) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Determining regulations of Constitutional Convention. (FINAL VOTE)  (Read 7711 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: August 28, 2015, 06:33:42 PM »

Would it be possible to need only the majority of the regions to approve the deal instead 4/5? I'm afraid some people could try to derail the deal.

Not without another Constitutional Amendment.

I think Cris' amendment is a good starting point. I think it would be a good idea to base the number of delegates allocated to each Region on its population. Otherwise, you could be left with a scenario where the Pacific struggles to find two active delegates while interested citizens in the Northeast or Mideast are excluded.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:14 PM »

I will not vote for any plan that enacts random or seniority-based delegate selection.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:20:52 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Apart from combining Sections 3 and 4 of the current bill into a single Article (and a few grammatical and stylistic changes), this amendment deals primarily with the selection of the delegates. Broadly speaking, there would be three classes of delegates:

-15 Delegates are to be elected by the citizens of the Regions, divided proportionally according to population;
-5 Delegates are to be selected by the Senate, in the same manner as before;
-5 Delegates selected from the parties by the Senate (2 progressives, 2 conservatives, 1 centrist)

The biggest change here would be that the party delegates are selected by the Senate, not by the party chairmen (thus ensuring that political maneuvering does not play a part in delegate selection while still providing ideological balance). I would be open to amending this model, but I think it's a good starting point.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 06:51:19 PM »

A good amendment, though 25 delegates is kind of a lot. Along with a quorum requirement, this could spell trouble.
Fair point, though I think we could find 25 active players without too much trouble. Off the top of my head, Griffin, Duke, Windjammer, Leinad, Classic Conservative, Pikachu, Clarence, Simfan, Dkrol, Evergreen, Clyde, and DemPGH might easily be interested - we would only need a few more to get to twenty, and I doubt we'll have a problem finding five interested senators.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 03:06:43 PM »

I object to Evergreen's amendment. It is important, in constituting the Convention, to ensure that every national interest - not just the Regions - is represented. The current bill allows for delegates from the Regions, the electorate at-large (the 5 party delegates), and the national government: this balances  the competing concerns of these constituencies against each other, ensuring that the resulting Constitution will be fair for everyone.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 03:40:41 PM »

I object to Evergreen's amendment. It is important, in constituting the Convention, to ensure that every national interest - not just the Regions - is represented. The current bill allows for delegates from the Regions, the electorate at-large (the 5 party delegates), and the national government: this balances  the competing concerns of these constituencies against each other, ensuring that the resulting Constitution will be fair for everyone.

are you implying that the senate and regions are competing against the interests of the people...?

No, I'm implying that the interests of the Regional governments are not necessarily synonymous with the interests of the people, and that it is therefore important for national institutions such as the Senate to be represented as well. That way, any less-than-honest motives of the Regions will be checked by the Senate, any less-than-honest motives of the Senate will be checked by the Regions, and we get a fairer Constitution as a result.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »

I motion for a final vote on this bill.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 04:52:45 PM »

AYE!

Let's get this show on the road.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 06:09:34 PM »

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 07:43:01 PM »

I have a question to my friends in the Senate, does the people of your region vote for you or the whole entire country?
Just the people in your Region.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies