Southeast Senate :: Town Hall Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 07:04:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southeast Senate :: Town Hall Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southeast Senate :: Town Hall Debate  (Read 1381 times)
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2005, 09:12:04 PM »

Hey everyone Smiley

Last debate was a great success.  Senator Spade and I got to discuss the issues, and I think everyone got an exceptional comparison of the two candidates.

I'm sure that my opponent will agree that it's time for you, the people, to ask the questions.

So, go ahead, you can ask a question to either me, Sam, or both.

Thanks Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 09:21:15 PM »

What was wrong with the other thread?
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 09:42:21 PM »

Emsworth suggested that we do a Town Hall debate.  So, I just figured I'd start this thread. Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 09:50:43 PM »

Here is a draft SE Initiative. Give your opinions on the basic idea.

Sex Offenders Initiative

Section One:
(a) A Southeast Regional Sex Offender Database will be created using information from the current state sex offender databases.
(b) All sex offenders in the Southeast Region must register with the SRSOD at least thirty days before a scheduled release.
(c) Law enforcement will also be required to submit information on all sex offenders to the database at least thirty days before release.
(d) Failure by a sex offender to report data within time constraints will result in an extension of their prison sentence by five years.
(e) Failure by law enforcement to report information within the time constraints will result in a fine of up to $ 100,000 against those responsible.
(f) Law enforcement is required to update information every ninety days.
(g) Failure to update information pursuant to subsection (f) will incur penalties outlined in subsection (e).

Section Two:
(a) All sex offenders living in the Southeast Region are required to wear a wristband with GPS tracking equipment inside at all times.
(b) Failure to comply with subsection (a) will result in jail time of three to five years.
(c) All sex offenders living in the Southeast Region are required to wear a patch below their right shoulder signifying their status as sex offenders.
(d) Failure to comply with subsection (c) will result in jail time of three to five years.
(e) The Southeast Region will establish a Regional Sex Offenders Tracking Agency to keep tabs on released sex offenders. This agency will issue and monitor the wristbands mentioned in subsection (a).

Section Three
(a) The minimum sentence for a convicted sex offender in the Southeastern Region will be 35 years.
(b) Any convicted sex offender who is subsequently convicted of another sexual offense or violent crime will be given a minimum sentence of life without parole.
(c) Any convicted sex offender with a prior felony crime will have a minimum sentence of 30 years plus five years additional for each prior felony up to four. Any sex offender with more than four prior felonies will receive a sentence of life without parole.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 09:51:28 PM »

I'd like to ask a question of my opponent, left off from the last debate.

You said that would propose a 7% flat tax, if elected.

What programs would you cut to keep the budget from getting a huge deficit (much more huge than we have now)?

Or would you propose a national sales tax or a value-added tax to supplement this national flat tax to keep program levels reasonably close to where they are now (with some cuts, I assume)?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 09:56:54 PM »

What do the candidates in this race believe about the right to keep and use low-potency explosives, as passed by the Southeast voters?

I believe very strongly in this amendment (I should, since I proposed it in the Senate)  Smiley

I also believe very strongly in protecting our right at all times, as Southeast citizens, to keep and bear low-potency explosives at all times.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 09:59:50 PM »

Thank you very much for your question, Ebowed.

I think that your question brings up a very good point about what we should allow Americans to have in today's society.

I have no problem with an ordinary American owning some fireworks or firecrackers.  I mean, it's a tradition in my family to launch our own fireworks on the Fourth of July.  There's no problem with ordinary people owning these kinds of explosives.

But then again, we have to ask ourselves two questions.  One is, does an ordinary American really need a grenade?  And two is, how do we prevent these explosives from getting in the wrong hands?

The first question is no.  An ordinary American does not need a grenade.  I don't think that grenades are used in hunting very often.  I don't know if it would be a good idea to throw one at a robber, for your house would burn down.  I don't think that we should allow for people to own explosives such as hand grenades.  There's just no point.  However, there is a major risk.

That risk is the possibility of explosives getting in the wrong hands.  I know that my opponent agrees with me that in this day and age, we need to be extra cautious with who we give weapons or explosives to.  We can't recklessly allow weapons and explosives to be distributed.  We can't allow for the possibility of a grenade getting in the hands of a terrorist.  Just like when selling guns, we need to have a background check when selling ANY explosive, be it a minor firecracker or the fireworks used to light up Disney World.  

Basically, I responsibly support upholding the Second Amendment.  

Thank you very much Ebowed Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 10:01:19 PM »

I support the purpose and drive behind the initiative, Jake. 

I do think a clause needs to be put in there saying where the Regional Sex Offenders Tracking Agency gets its money from, but that's only a minor qualm.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 10:07:04 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2005, 10:41:03 PM by Ben Meyers »

Ok, first I'll answer your question, Jake, and then I'll answer Sam's.

Jake, I would do whatever I could as a Senator to get that bill passed.  Being from Florida, a state where sex offenders are responsible for countless crimes a year, I feel very strongly about this issue.  I will relentlessly support that bill.

Thank you Smiley

Senator, I'll answer your question about the flat tax.  I did propose a 7% flat tax.  Here's how I'm going to make it up.

First, let me say that this plan, in a way, pays for itself.  It allows people to make more money without getting taxed more, so everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, will have more money in their pocket with a flat tax.  That allows more money to be put into commerce, business, etc., and for the monetary circulation to run strongly, thereby benefiting our economy.

Also, I'm going to release the full bill I will propose as Senator within the next few days, just so you know.

I will cut unneccessary spending to make up for this plan.  Let me tell you some of the things our government spends money on: Leather seating for a '98 Honda Civic, Dinner for two at McDonald's, Researching Pomegranite seeds, etc. etc. etc.  Now, I'm not saying that cutting spending on those things will make up for lost revenue with a flat tax.  I'm just saying that we need to end unneccessary and irresponsible spending in this country.

Some programs also need to be cut.  I believe in further welfare reform, cutting spending there.  We need to remove national education power, saving us some money.  There are numerous things I would propose cutting, all which will be named in my bill, which will be released within the next couple days.

Thanks, Senator Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 10:16:26 PM »

I don't mean to seem questioning, but in the debate, you said 7% flat tax here in the debate thread, not 7% sales tax.

Is this a 7% sales tax on top of the income tax system we already have (I'm guessing not)?  Or is this just a 7% sales tax, getting rid of the income tax altogether?  Or is this a 7% sales tax, in combination with a 7% flat tax?

Welfare reform is already a reality in Atlasia, thanks to IrishDemocrat (Flyers2006).  Education spending is roughly $67 billion.

Since I actually did the first Atlasian federal budget, I can tell you that $432 billion goes to defense, $555 billion deals with Social Security, $571 billion goes to Medicare, Medicaid, essentially and $396 billion goes to the Treasury Dept. in terms of IRS ($60 billion) and Interest payments on the debt ($330 billion).

That's roughly about $1.9 billion of the $2.5 billion budget we have here.  I welcome your proposals for cutting though.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 10:25:31 PM »

Thanks for both answering. I'll work your concerns into the final draft.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 10:40:34 PM »

Oh, sorry Sam, I meant to say flat tax Smiley

I'll edit that now.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 10:46:28 PM »

no problem.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 09:37:32 AM »

If I proposed a bill that limited marriage to one man and one woman in the Senate while giving gays civil unions, would I get your vote?
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 10:01:47 AM »

Senator Kramer, you would without a doubt have my vote on that bill.  That bill sums up my entire position on gay marriage.

I support limiting marriage to only a man and a woman.  The reason is this - Marriage has two parts to it: religious and legal.  The problem I have with gay marriage is the religious part, and that is the part most people have a problem with.

By banning gay marriage and allowing civil unions, the religious part of marriage is taken away, but the legal part stays.  That means that gay couples could visit each other in the hospital, for example. 

Senator Kramer, you have my sincere support for this bill.

Thank you Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 11:50:07 AM »

If I proposed a bill that limited marriage to one man and one woman in the Senate while giving gays civil unions, would I get your vote?

As it is basically the plank of the Union Party, and I have suggested a similar thing in the Senate myself if the restriction of definitions amendment were not to pass, I would be in support of such a bill.

As a little FYI, civil unions are already legal for homosexuals in Atlasia, per F.L. 1-2 here, the Civil Unions Act, which was displaced when the Marriage Equity Act was passed. 

If the definition were changed to being one man, one woman for marriage (essentially striking down the Marriage Equity Act), the Civil Unions Act would come back into force.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 12:02:47 PM »

As it is basically the plank of the Union Party, and I have suggested a similar thing in the Senate myself if the restriction of definitions amendment were not to pass, I would be in support of such a bill.

As a little FYI, civil unions are already legal for homosexuals in Atlasia, per F.L. 1-2 here, the Civil Unions Act, which was displaced when the Marriage Equity Act was passed. 

If the definition were changed to being one man, one woman for marriage (essentially striking down the Marriage Equity Act), the Civil Unions Act would come back into force.
Ah, I see.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 01:31:16 PM »

Guess this debate sort of petered out.  I'll bump it, just to see if there are any more questions.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 01:43:18 PM »

Both candidates have stated that they'd fight for the Southeast - well I'd like to see it. What time would be good for you guys for a live PPV special featuring a fist fight between the two of you? (sorry, couldn't resist)
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 01:45:55 PM »

Both candidates have stated that they'd fight for the Southeast - well I'd like to see it. What time would be good for you guys for a live PPV special featuring a fist fight between the two of you? (sorry, couldn't resist)

I thought of that when they said they'd fight for the Southeast, too.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2005, 10:34:42 PM »

*puts on boxing gloves*

If you wish. . .
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2005, 10:35:16 PM »

*puts on boxing gloves*

If you wish. . .

I'm ready, let's go...  Smiley
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2005, 11:19:49 PM »

*puts on boxing gloves*

If you wish. . .

I'm ready, let's go...  Smiley

If this is boxing, then I'll throw a punch, but if this is wrestling, then I'll throw a chair Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies