Gubernatorial Ratings and Predictions - Vermont (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:54:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gubernatorial Ratings and Predictions - Vermont (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Rate Vermont and Predict Who Will Win
Safe D

Likely D

Lean D

Toss-Up

Lean R

Likely R

Safe R

Sue Minter (D)

Phil Scott (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Gubernatorial Ratings and Predictions - Vermont  (Read 2395 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: October 28, 2016, 07:54:31 AM »

I think Minter will win, but I wonder what happens if Scott ends up with a plurality.  There will probably be some pressure on the Assembly to give him the seat.

They gave it to Douglas in 2002. They'll give it to Scott this time if he wins a plurality.

Anyway, Tilt Scott, but Minter might pull it off.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:21:21 AM »

Toss-Up, 49-46 Minter, goes to legislature and they select Minter. The reason I think Minter will win is because overwhelmingly the undecideds in Vermont are would be Clinton voters/Democrats.

Not sure. If they are still undecided 10 days before election - they are NOT, most likely, being "solid Clinton voters". And Sanders is solidly in Clinton camp now...

I think ElectionsGuy means that they're undecided in the gubernatorial race.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 05:00:22 PM »

I think Minter is saved narrowly by the Presidential year, but could lose in a low turnout re-match against Scott in 2018.

That will only happen if she does something controversial.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 10:49:51 PM »

Wait? The Vermont governor is elected indirectly? Shocked

I mean, I guess theoretically in a round about way, but the legislature votes for governor if no candidate reaches 50%.  They've always gone with the candidate who won the most votes.

That's a strange of electing a candidate.
Does this method also apply for other offices, such as representative or senator?

If I'm reading the state's Constitution correctly (section 47) it applies to Governor, Lieutenant-Governor, and Treasurer.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 11:57:57 PM »

Wait? The Vermont governor is elected indirectly? Shocked

I mean, I guess theoretically in a round about way, but the legislature votes for governor if no candidate reaches 50%.  They've always gone with the candidate who won the most votes.

That's a strange of electing a candidate.
Does this method also apply for other offices, such as representative or senator?

If I'm reading the state's Constitution correctly (section 47) it applies to Governor, Lieutenant-Governor, and Treasurer.
State Constitution couldn't make a ruling on the election of federal officials anyway.

Well jungle primaries do exist, but I think the VT rule would be blatantly unconstitutional if applied to federal races.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »

I don't get why it took so long for people to realize that Scott is favored, but he doesn't have it in the bag.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »

If Democrats pick up Indiana & North Carolina while losing Vermont, that's a great trade off.

It's not like Phil Scott is going to get right-to-work laws passed or anything like that.

And gerrymandering isn't a concern either. If I had to pick two competitive gubernatorial races to lose, it would be Vermont and West Virginia, as much as I want Minter to win.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies