(Dems).. Do you think '20 Dem Ticket should include...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:36:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  (Dems).. Do you think '20 Dem Ticket should include...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: (Dems).. Do you think '20 Dem Ticket should include...
At least 1 minority

At least 1 female

At least 1 minority & 1 female (or a minority female)

Any combo is fine (including 2 white males)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 127

Author Topic: (Dems).. Do you think '20 Dem Ticket should include...  (Read 8170 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »

I used to have some sympathy with the 'we should pick people based on their qualifications/capability and not their identity' line of argument, but at the same time so many women and minorities are overlooked (through either conscious or unconscious bias or lack of confidence on their part) when they clearly are capable and have likely overcome more hurdles in their life to reach their position. Politics in both sides of the Atlantic is full of mediocre white middle class men who receive no way near the level of abuse and criticism directed at women and minorities, while more talented individuals from a range of backgrounds could have succeeded with more opportunities/aspirations.

I just can't see how the Democrats nominating two men would be tenable in this environment. When 50% of the population has been underrepresented for so long not to have female representation for one of the two highest offices just seems plain odd.

Because most people don't care about this stuff. Would the left wingers on this site celebrate the first black women president if she happen to be a rabid right winger? Nope....that i guess would be the wrong type of diversity for them

I think it's a good thing that there is at least one African American Senator from the South, even though Tim Scott is a Republican. I think he brings a valuable perspective that otherwise a lot of Republicans (and Democrats, quite frankly) wouldn't be hearing.

Yeah, I wouldn't vote for someone like Omarosa. But if the GOP nominated a black woman who is in the party because she is conservative on economics, foreign policy and social issues I would think it was a tremendous sign of progress. I would love to see the identity obsession removed from politics so we can focus on discussing policy issues, and the GOP having a black woman as president for 4-8 years would go a huge way to doing that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies